How to strenghten Magic

I just decided to play as a Sorcerer/ Pyromancer and was wondering, how i can make my Magic stronger. Sure by investing Points into Intelligence, but what about upgrading my Catalyst? does it make my Spells stronger too?

Cuz when i look at my Weapon it got 145 Physical Attackpower and 0 to Magic, but i guess it only aplies to Close-Range attack.

The Weapon Scaling aplies to Close-Range too, like on the Pyromancy Flame.

Thanks for all incoming Answers

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

Tin Crystallization Catalyst (From crazy Big Hat Logan in Duke's archives). You can't upgrade your catalyst. You can upgrade your pyro flame to +15 then ascend it further to +5. Stick with the Sorcerer's catalyst until you get Big Hat Logans.

Ok, but the Tin Crystalization Catalyst halves all my Spellcastings.

So, there is actually no good way of boosting the Magic dmg, so where is the Advantage to Close-Range where you can upgrade your Weapons dramatically?

Yes, it halves but the damage is insane. You can also by the ring for 20K souls to boost sorcery power by 33%. That also increases Pyro by 33%. Don't bother going melee with a catalyst. Use the Magic & Enchanted path. You can also use the magic weapon spells on certain upgrades. One more thing, go find Dusk of Oolacile and get her items. You get an increase in sorcery for wearing the aquainted set. Especially the crown. I just hope you would have a female character, lol.

how do I ascend the pyro past +15 as this is what I have at the moment

ok, let me break it down for you when it comes to staffs and spell power increasing.

I don't think you can increase the catalyst like you can a regular weapon.
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Tin+Crystallization+Catalyst

Look at that link and pay attention to the stats of that catalyst. Look at the first stat, which is called "MagAdjust". If all your doing is casting spells with catalyst, that is the ONLY stat you pay any attention to. All the other attack value stats are completely useless. 

The magadjust for catalyst is the equivalent of physical for melee weapons. It is the direct factor that determines how much damage your spell will do. Since you can't upgrade catalyst, you just use the one with the highest MagAdjust at the time.

The MagAdjust stat will be directly above the physical stat when you look at any catalyse.

The MagAdjust is directly impacted by your faith or INT and will scale with either one of those attributes. Meaning you will do more damage with your spells as you put more points into the catalyst's scaling attribute to increase your weapon's MagAdjust.

Since most catalyst have different scaling ranks, some may be useful at first, but as you put more points into INT of Faith(if your using a catalyst that scales with faith) then other catalyst that were once weaker are now stronger since it has a better scaling rank. 

As you see in the link I posted above, that catalyse scales with INT, and it is a rank S(the highest scaling rank) so it scales and increases MagAdjust the best with each point you put into INT. So it is possible to get a MagAdjust of 300 or more, which is VERY GOOD(probably equal to having a melee weapon with 600 physical damage)

The catalyse I posted is the best catalyse in the game, no other catalyse I've came across comes close as the next powerful catalyst has a Magadjust of 240, and its the only one Ive seen that has a rank S scaling. But the trade off(there's always a catch) is it halves all your spells when you have it in your hand. 10 uses, turns to 5, 9 turns to 4. Meaning, if you miss, or the spell doesnt kill the enemy, you've wasted two spells.

But the spell's power will be the equivalent of casting two spells. So really, casting one spell is the same as casting two spells, so your doing the damage of two spells, but at half the time. So this is VERY useful up against bosses where you want to shave as much damage off as fast as possible, then the crystal tin catalyse is the best for that if your using spells.

If you dont want your spells cut in half then get Logan's Catalyst. The only thing is you'll need intelligence at 50 before it will start oudoing the regular sorcerer's catalyst...it has an S scaling in intelligence.

Also you can buy the sorcery ring that boosts your spell power. Also, you can get Dusk's crown(forget the exact name) that also boosts the power as well. You can combine those two, to do some big damage.

[quote user="shotgunshine"]

If you dont want your spells cut in half then get Logan's Catalyst. The only thing is you'll need intelligence at 50 before it will start oudoing the regular sorcerer's catalyst...it has an S scaling in intelligence.

Also you can buy the sorcery ring that boosts your spell power. Also, you can get Dusk's crown(forget the exact name) that also boosts the power as well. You can combine those two, to do some big damage.

[/quote]

The Dusk ring does not increase the strength of spells, just the amount of casts.

On a side note, it's worth noting that you cannot use two of the same rings. I am on my second playthrough and I tried to use two of the rings that increase your sorcery.

Im talking about the Crown of Dusk. It says it raises the power and effect of the wearer's magic, but damage suffered by magic attacks also rises.

Thanks a lot for explaing.

And especially to you Dre G Writer for taking your time to write such a text

[quote user="shotgunshine"]

Im talking about the Crown of Dusk. It says it raises the power and effect of the wearer's magic, but damage suffered by magic attacks also rises.

[/quote]

Gotcha. Sorry bout that.