How to Kill CoD

So after trying to get a few rounds in against the Christmas meat, and I sat there thinking how utterly miserable I was playing this game, even against the fresh meat. After just watching the video of some of the new players playing, as well as some of the more "experienced" players; I think I know why - and knowing this, I know how one could kill CoD.

-

How you ask? The answer is simple; make Call of Duty require skill to be good and enjoy at the multiplayer. Sure the game will receive critical praise. Pro players and gaming leagues will eat it up. Even on here we might like it. But the game will bomb in sales and the population will vanish because making CoD require skill would be going the exact opposite direction the series has been going since Modern Warfare 2.

Since Modern Warfare 2, the series has been specifically designed to appeal to the "anti-pro" or the "anti-gamer"; you can see it every design decision and comparing it to what other older games/other series were designed around? Quick reaction and precision aiming? Doesn't matter when hipfiring from across the map works just as well if not better than trying to aim. Auto-aim and bullet magnetism greatly contribute to this. Reliability? Some of the worst netcode ever seen in a AAA game, combined with things that happen randomly and for no seemingly no reason as well as inconsistent damage models for weapons throw this out the window. Map control, flanking and tactics? Mostly meaningless thanks to crappy map design and near completely random and unpredictable spawns, including the fun of being spawned into active danger zones. Weapon balance? Pffft.

-

All of these things are designed to appeal to people who bad at other games? Can't aim well? Doesn't matter. Run around like a headless chicken? Thats OK. Can't devise a way out of a paper bag? Don't worry - we got rid of the bag for you.

-

Thats why I can't enjoy the game. I've spent 2 decades playing, training and practicing skills and talents for hard, skill-requiring games. I simply am incapable of playing badly anymore. And if they were to make a CoD that appealed to gamers like me, who want skill in their shooters, they'd alienate the people they've been striving to gain since MW2. I know this is a "Well, duh" thing for many of you, but finally seeing and realizing it today, it takes a load off of me as to why as I wasn't enjoying a game I should've been enjoying.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It is possible for the game to be attractive to the eSports community AND be a success in sales. Options. Treyarch has done a good job with giving players, leagues, and tournaments options. It's just up to everyone else to use them (and Treyarch to update their "competitive" playlist).

This game has the best map lineup since COD4 for competitive play. Play against good teams and you'll see plenty of map control and team tactics in play. The spawns on new games are always unpredictable - until you learn how to predict them. They aren't much more random than they have been in previous installments.

EDIT: Have you tried play in the Champions League Playlist? This is the best COD for competitive play since COD4 solely because of that playlist.

The maps are too cluttered. To many little boxes or barrels or walls that when you stand behind it, the enemy only sees part of your forehead, but you can still see and shoot them.

There are some horrible cluttered maps, but there are several maps that are very good. The last game to have 5+ solid maps for competitive play was COD4.

Yeah I agree with you there. COD4 was amazing. The maps i like the most on here are standoff and hijacked

I wished they'd go back to the 3/5/7 killstreaks and produce better maps. Or just re-release COD4 and WaW, I'd buy them again. I really miss the days of those games when you could go online and see 300k people playing every night. Now the games are just wack pretty much.

What I don't get if your such a pro player a game made for noobs should be easy as hell for you no? Lol

[quote user="BAC0NndEGGS"]

What I don't get if your such a pro player a game made for noobs should be easy as hell for you no? Lol

[/quote]

No. It's about skill curves and the skill cap of the game. If they lower the skill cap, then the truly amazing players don't have the freedom to become truly amazing.

Think of it like this. No matter how good of a coin flipper you think you are, I will still beat you about half of the time.

I think MW2 and W@W were the only Cods I enjoyed

Well, to be truely competetive, dedi servers (or a third party host) need to be there. Thats just my complaint, and thats for core modes, LOL. COD would be even more great fun if the lag, lag comp, people manipulating bandwidth, etc werent there JMHO. Im just raging as my connections have been poo for the past week(even while 4 barred)./rant

i like the game alright, but I can't stand the lag.

I get 1 or 2 non laggy games out of about 10.  ill go 20+ kills less than 10 deaths in those games, the rest its just like I'm dead before i can see the person, or if i die once ill end up spawning in front of someone for another 2 or 3 times and rack up 4 deaths when i've really only been killed once.

its like I have to prefire every corner just in case someone is standing there because i will be dead before I'm even fully around the corner on my screen.  sometimes i just fall over dead, don't hear the bullets, not turn red at all.  ill fall over dead then see the person fire from somewhere after i fall over.