How the Sawed of Shotgun should have functioned (and should now)

The weapon should have been equally as powerful as the gnasher in every nearly every single way (range, spread, power). The only difference is that you have two shots and can fire off the two shots almost back to back, a fraction of a second a part.

This would create a gun that would be easier for noob players to use (not as easy as the SOS) but also for REALLY experienced players to dominate with. You only have one chance to get somebody (2 people if you are insanely good/lucky) and you actually have to AIM.

So the pros of this weapon would be more output of damage in a smaller amount of time which would be really helpful at pointblank range and helpful outside of the gnasher's maximum range (but only if you are good). The cons would be having two shots, only being able to kill a maximum two enemies at point blank or downing one outside of gnasher gib range (but only if you are good).

Most people will probably stick with the gnasher since it is nice being able to to miss shots and still have enough ammo to kill multiple ammo. Like I said before, this weapon is for the incredibly unskilled to get the occasional lucky kill (rather than no kills) and for the incredibly skilled (most likely rifle users that typically avoid most shotgun battles) to take out a lone gnasher user.

What do you think?

({If you disagree with the SOS being changed or removed at all, don't post. I still respect your opinion but your posts will only lead to a flame war. This thread is for positive conversation about how the change the SOS from hurting the flow of gameplay but still retain usefulness.)

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sooo explain why a Sawed off shotgun should have the same bullet spread as a regular shotgun?  Do you not understand the whole point of Sawing off the barrel?

Sure it's balanced but compared to other melee options it's still the only logical choice unless you got a cleaver. I just think it's silly to complain about a sawed off shotgun slaughtering at close range when it's supposed to do just that. It's even sillier when someone can instant kill you with a melee with the same amount of skill, next to none.

Aiming and reload after every shot is the only thing the weapon need to be really balanced IMO.

[quote user="UnyoBro"]

This whole SOS issue really seems like one big case of "U mad bro?". I mean really, we're talking about a game where the main weapon has a chainsaw on it that can instant kill. Yes the SOS is annoying to be killed with but you'll get used to it like everything else. Well most people will get over it.

[/quote]

To be fair the Chainsaw is much harder to get a kill with than the Sawed Off. I think the chainsaw is balanced really well now. Much better than in the first Gears of War anyway, haha.

[quote user="x sNe x JeNo"]

I don't think a spread reduction would help much. For me, it wouldn't make a difference because even though the gun requires almost no aiming, I still have my gun pointed directly at the enemy. I think its RANGE should go down if anything, that way the gnasher will win unless the SOS can get into melee range. It is kind of a risk/defensive weapon rather than how it is used offensively now.

[/quote]This. While I can function in the game just fine regardless, it's pretty annoying when I take a corner wide and still get blasted by a SO user. 

This whole SOS issue really seems like one big case of "U mad bro?". I mean really, we're talking about a game where the main weapon has a chainsaw on it that can instant kill. Yes the SOS is annoying to be killed with but you'll get used to it like everything else. Well most people will get over it.

I think being static while reloading the Sawed Off is a horrible idea personally.

I think that once it's been shot, you shouldn't be able to run while it's being reloaded. What's the point of the slow reload if you're not around for the other player to take advantage of it. Players who are new to Gears that use the sawed off are easy to kill, because they don't know any better. If you face somebody that knows what they're doing, they can wall bounce and run out of range easily while they reload.

They shouldn't work while someone is hiding around a corner.

dbs strategy - mash A button and fire in general direction of enemy.