How do you go about getting achievements?

Probably a really stupid question, but how do you go about getting achievements? Do you just play through the game and avoid them, do you try to do the most interesting ones, or are you a completionist and try to go for 100% all games? 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

For me, it really depends on the game.  I went through a period of wanting to increase my gamerscore, so I played some games that were relatively easy 1000 point games.  (Side note:  for those of you who want to see if Avatar is on my list, yes, it sure is, so I'll save you the clicking.  :p)  I do find myself going back and replaying certain games to try to gain additional achievements, but there are some I decide just aren't worth my time.  If I think something is achievable, I'll keep at it, but if it's beyond my skill level or will take a significant amount of time and/or annoyance, I will just leave it be.

I'll just play and see what I get. I don't really care about completionism. I will go for incidental ones, like 'kill 4 guys with one grenade'.

There are people on my friends list that put achievements before games. They play games for achievements, not the experience or the artistry, and to be honest, I feel very sorry for them.

I am not a completionist but if the game is great enough to deserve a 100% on GS i'd try to get all of the achievements.

[quote user="theinaniloquent"]

Probably a really stupid question, but how do you go about getting achievements? Do you just play through the game and avoid them, do you try to do the most interesting ones, or are you a completionist and try to go for 100% all games? 

[/quote]

I pay almost zero attention to them. If I get them through the normal exploration of a game, great. If I get really close through natural progression and I really love the game, I may go back for the few stray ones that remain, if they make sense. Otherwise, I could not care less. I am somewhat of a completionist... I just don't consider achievements a part of it. For me, finishing a game, having dones & seen everything is completing it, not jumping through someone elses hoops & doing retarded stunts.

I look at them before I start playing large games, and see if there are any I can get really easy while playing. I'll keep them in mind and if I don't get them, I don't really care. I might go back and try to get them when I am bored. I don't go out of my way to get really hard achivements.

I just play the game & have fun.

If I get 'em, so be it.

On my first play through of a game I mainly focus on the beating the game on hard achievement and then clean up the rest on easy.

^^ I do that as well if I like the game.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

I play through the campaign and just see what I unlock.

-

If I like the game enough I'll look at the achievements and maybe go for some specifically.   If you like the game enough it might be fun doing so.

I generally just play through the game and whatever I get, I get.  every now and then I'll go back to try and get some achievements I missed.