How do I remove music from my Xbox music cloud collection?

On my Windows Phone 8, some albums have duplicated tracks.  It seems to be combining music from my cloud collection (that downloaded in the past) with DRM free music from my local computer, that I have synched using Windows Phone Desktop sync client.  In this case, I want to remove the album from my cloud collection, so that my phone will always play the songs from the phones memory, not stream the song, and only play a song once when  playing a full album.

With the Zune software, you could easily filter to view DRM-free music separately from Music Pass protected content.  Then I could delete the protected content I no longer needed on my local computer.  How can I do these same operations with Xbox music cloud collection?

Thanks,

Adam

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 104 Applies to:

Hi CoasterAdam,

Regarding this issue, are you able to head over to your cloud-synced PC and remove the duplicate items there? Can you un-sync them from the cloud manually? The songs on your phone should sync and the duplicates should disappear as a result.

Please let us know.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

for Wp7

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi DarrylSk,

Thanks for sharing that workaround. Does this take care of the duplicate issue that CoasterAdam was first reporting? Also, CoasterAdam have you tried this to see if this is a resolution to the issue you were describing? Let us know if you can. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mister Iffic,

I have tried a few different ways of doing this, but nothing seems to work.  I check for duplicate files on my hard drive, and there were none.  I then used the Windows 8 Music app, and told it to just show artists "In the Cloud."  Then I deleted 2 albums.  Then I loaded up the Zune software to see what it showed, and the app had deleted the mp3 files I had purchased and downloaded.  I should be able to restore these files from my Carbonite backup, but this really has me concerned.  I know what I am describing sounds unlikely, but I triple checked to make sure music in the cloud was selected, and not the" all music" or "on this pc" option.

I am really looking for a way to manage my cloud collection and ensure I have no impact on my local music files.  Does this make sense?  The Zune software is very good at telling the difference between music I own and zune-pass content.  Do you have any other suggestions for managing my cloud collection?

Thanks,

Adam

Sorry this didn't help.

i cant find my music ant the tv

Sorry this didn't help.

I think the issue I was having was similar.  When I went to play an album on my windows 8 phone, I would have two copies of each song, one from the cloud, and one local copy that I had synced to my phone from my computer.  So any time I played an album, I would have to listen to each song twice unless I hand selected the songs I wanted to play.  Turned out all I had to do to remedy that was to go into the xbox music app settings on my phone and there is an option to turn off xbox music cloud collection.  Once turned off, the only songs that will show in your library are the local copies you have synced to your phone.

On your Windows phone 8, when you first select the xbox music app, scroll over to the "xbox" section, and you should get the 3 dots in the bottom right corner of your screen.  When you select the 3 dots to display more options, one of the options is "settings".  When you select settings there is an option to turn xbox music cloud collection "on" or "off"

Sorry this didn't help.

I haven't tried cloud-syncing local music yet but I think the two situations are very similar.  Here's what happens with me:  Any cloud music is automatically synced to the phone as streamable.  If there's already a (previously downloaded) local copy (of a song), I now have two copies, one streamable and one local.  Same thing happens if I have a streamable copy and then sync (the same item) to the phone using the Windows Phone 8 app.  In this case a local copy gets created in addition to the existing streamable copy.

To remove the duplicate, I delete the local copy (use the tap-hold menu on the local copy on the phone), then download the streamable copy.

I hope this makes sense.  I'll try and clarify, if it doesn't.

Sorry this didn't help.

I can remove a song from a playlist on my phone by deleting the entire album in the XBox App on my cloud-synced PC.  This only works if the song is set for streaming.  If the song has been downloaded, slide over to the song list and delete it first.  The song will still appear, in both the song list and the play list, but now the ((*)) icon will appear next to the artist's name in both lists.  Then, go back to the PC and remove the entire album.  The song (and any other streaming songs from that album) will disappear completely from the phone.  Any downloaded songs will remain where they were.  You can then add the album back to "My Music" if you want.

Sorry this didn't help.