How do I listen to Xbox Music without snapping it?

I am excited by the ability to listen to Xbox Music while playing a game, but dont' need to obtrusive Snap feature eating up a quarter of my real estate on screen.  How do I listen to Xbox Music without having to snap the music app on the side?  I accidentally had this happen yesterday, but haven't been able to repeat it.  I wish there was a 'minimize' button on the Xbox Music page when it's full screened or snapped. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 223 Applies to:

Hey there Consumer! What happens when you unsnap Xbox Music? Does it stop playing at that point? You can either unsnap by saying "Xbox, Unsnap" while playing your game, or from the dashboard select the Unsnap option.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes it stops playing.  It's unfortunate because you don't require a visual GUI to listen to music... it's nice for searching, but not so nice for games where you would like to hear but not see the app.  On 360, you couldn't listen to Xbox Music while playing a game either, but you could listen to music from other sources in the background using the baked-into-the-menu Music Player, which was great.  I was thrilled at the prospect of enjoying similar functionality with Xbox Music on the Xbox One because of it's supposed multitasking functionality, and was disappointed to learn that whenever I unsnapped Xbox Music, it silenced it.  Of course, to have it remain playing without a GUI, there would have to be a secondary, menu based redundant system in place to control it in a more limited sense, which I suppose takes time to program. But yeah, Xbox Music would be 10X more amazing if you could listen to it while gaming in full screen.

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately playing music while a game/app is full screen isn't supported at this time. I agree that it would be great to be able to listen to music while playing a game. I'll forward this to the feature team and hopefully it can be addressed in a future update. Thanks for the feedback!

Sorry this didn't help.

The snap feature should be integrated with smart glass so I could snap apps on my phone or tablet to control, in the background...

Sorry this didn't help.

This is actually an option now. Not quite as your request but from your smartglass you can now snap and un snap features.

If you want music from xbox music on your phone then you should install the App Xbox Music onto your phone. This way it does not even take up computing power from your console. Plus you can also now save songs to be played offline in the app. This way if you are stuck with a data cap you will not always have to use your data to run music that you love and have saved.

Sorry this didn't help.

@LoneGnome It would really be good if this was added. It's frustrating that this was something that just worked on the 360, but is a regression on the XB1. I hope this gets pushed up the backlog!

Sorry this didn't help.

Xbox needs this asap

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, Safreed! This thread here is pretty old. As you can see from LoneGnome above, the team is working on it. We don't have a time frame, but keep an eye on http://news.xbox.com for anything new that we add with the monthly updates we've been doing! Thanks so much for putting your voice into this as wanting it, though!

Sorry this didn't help.