How can kinect be improved?

This thread is not about telling the world how much you hate the kinect.Its about how it can be improved so that its actually more enjoyable.Rather than say it sucks or throw it it away I would like to hear feedback on what users think was wrong with it from people who have actually used it and what could be done to make it more user friendly.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

@Burst Axe. The thing is though, Motion Controls are currently nothing more than gimmicks.

Here is a pretty interesting thing from DICE when asked about motion controls and I'm pretty sure they are talking about both Kinect and Move.

m.edge-online.com/.../battlefield-4-its-important-to-grow-up-a-bit

"We are not interested in things that don’t make the game better. There are a lot of gimmicks – people throwing money at us – ‘can you implement support for this quirky control thing’. No, it doesn’t make the game better. We are extremely open to innovation, but if it’s a gimmick, there’s no point unless it adds value to the player. Touch screens used to be a gimmick, because no-one could get it to work until iPhone came out and used it right. It adds to the experience, and now everyone is doing it. To us it’s the same with motion control and perceptual gaming in general; if it adds, great. If it’s a gimmick, ignore it."

Reducing the space alone would make Kinect more widespread. Places like Japan probably laugh at the thought of buying one.

-

Increased tracking means more options for gamers to do stuff. I'm blown away by this Tigerwoods game. It reads my hand being open or closed which lets me move my shot around. I can zoom in by saluting. It even reads the speed of my swing. Putting is too much fun. Might do some miniature golf this summer.

-

We need an archery game. I'd play that everyday.

[quote user="LOWxONxHealth"]

@US Revenge -i know what you mean about the arm flailng thing .I saw a video where a 5 year old jumped and flailed around during fruit ninja and was kicking ***.His movements were so random half the time he wasnt watching the screen but his multiplier was getting pretty high so yes I would say the accuracy is not good enough to suit games where accuracy is paramount.it defintely needs an overhaul in that department

[/quote]

So, how is this any different from kids 'button mashing' on fighting games and winning? The Fruit Ninja example isn't really a good one, as it is a free motion controlled game.

-

On the contrary, I have played many Kinect titles where you have to be VERY particular in your movements (dance games for example). I am not trying to simply run to the defense of the Kinect, but if you check out my played games list, you will find dozens of Kinect games. With proper setup (room layout, Kinect ID, Calibration, etc) the games work as well as can be imagined. Most issues I have come across are software issues, not hardware.

future PCs ..sorry I cant complete a sentence for some reason.

I understand HP is going forward with motion sensing on its future.I t uses tiny cameras that can track all ten of a users fingers to 1/1000 mm of movement.Microsoft better step it up this next gen because the competition is gonna be fierce.

Kinect is a waste of time and has been since release, we all talked about on these forums before release.   It is limited by physics and no real way of getting a physical connection to the virtual world.  

Basically, you are limited to dance games, possibly stupid rail shooters or some silly kids game.  

Sure it can be improved, better tech, more bones, better tracking but at the end of the day you are limited by physics.  Including it in the Xbox 720 out of the box is such a waste and will just make the price of the box more expensive.   

I think using it as a tool is a sadly unexplored avenue. Yes, there is voice control, but couldn't we have done that with the microphone in the first place? Doesn't seem like innovation, more like shoehorn.

-

For example, moving your hand up from the controller and swiping your hand sideways to navigate inventory screens. I was honestly very skeptical of Ps4's addition of the move light on the controller. I at first thought "great, something to drive the cost up that I don't want in the first place". Now that I think about it though, I can see how it could be used as a tool to navigate menus and such.

-

Hopefully that comment didn't just turn this into an lol PS4 thread.

They have proper games for it.

for me it was the time it took to set up a game-i had to re-arrange my house everytime..generally it shouldnt take that long..the facial recognition never recognized me either so that has to be someththng they need to address

I thought the OP asked for feedback from the people who have actually used it?