How are the boss fights?

I havn't had any yet that is....I'm still on chapter 1 doing sidequests & upgrading my armor/weapons for now,are they pretty challenging? 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

On Normal Difficulty... no. Not at all.

Since I never played the first Witcher game I went into this one on normal....When I go for playthrough 2 (since there are 2 different paths in the story) I will do it in Dark mode or whatever it's called.

Well, that depends on your level of skill and what you consider challenging, I suppose.  I'm also still in Chapter 1, playing on normal and personally, I'm having a somewhat rough time with some of the side quests (particularly the ones involving the endreg... endrag... you know, the giant insect-looking things, whatever they're called...lol)  The battle against one of the queens was pretty tough for me...I had to load up my potions, coat my blade with the proper oil, and use lots of bombs and traps while rolling around and hacking like a crazy person.  Strangely enough though, I then went and fought the other queen, and it was a cakewalk...I think she got hung up on something in the environment, and just kinda stood there while I hacked her to bits.

I also ran into the sidequest involving the wraiths in the ruins, and actually had to load up a previous save...I had absolutely no chance of beating them...after getting absolutely massacred about a dozen times, I figured maybe I'd go level up a bit and come back and try my luck later.

I've gotta say though...I really am kinda digging the combat system.  Every time I advance or learn a new technique and think I'm starting to get kinda bad@$$, along comes a new enemy (or swarm of familiar enemies) and puts me right back in my place.  I like the sense of danger and the feeling that even though I'm strong, I'm not a TOTAL bad@$$ and could still be killed at any time if I'm not careful.

The first boss battle I had was the Kayran.   I was on easy difficulty and got wrecked. It would kill me in 1 or 2 hits.  Died 12 times.  Found out later that I was still wearing the armor from the beginning of the game. So I was not prepared at all for that battle. My own fault.  The part that got me was I didnt know exactly when I would fight the boss so I didnt have any potions or anything equipped. When I died,it autosaved and put me right back into the battle.   So make sure you are equipped before you take on any bosses.

[quote user="CAMAROBOY69"]

The first boss battle I had was the Kayran.   I was on easy difficulty and got wrecked. It would kill me in 1 or 2 hits.  Died 12 times.  Found out later that I was still wearing the armor from the beginning of the game. So I was not prepared at all for that battle. My own fault.  The part that got me was I didnt know exactly when I would fight the boss so I didnt have any potions or anything equipped. When I died,it autosaved and put me right back into the battle.   So make sure you are equipped before you take on any bosses.

[/quote]There's also a trap you can make before you enter the boss fight that destroys one of its tentacles. Consider yourself lucky overall. I fought it on the PC version before any of the updates that made it easier.

[quote user="Static Jak"]

[quote user="CAMAROBOY69"]

[/quote]There's also a trap you can make before you enter the boss fight that destroys one of its tentacles. Consider yourself lucky overall. I fought it on the PC version before any of the updates that made it easier.

[/quote]

Hahaha ya no kidding ive been blowing through it on normal like nothing and i hadnt played the game in a long time because of other releases.

The Kayran isn't bad.....if you are prepared. Drink the proper potions and spells. Also be sure to  use the special Kayran trap I took me 2 tries to beat it, and I usually suck at boss fights.