How am I able to enchant stuff with EMPTY SOUL GEMS, if it's only supposed to work with filled soul gems?

I'm pretty sure, the last 4 enchants I did, I used EMPTY soul gems.  Matter of fact, I've never even filled a soul gem before, as of yet.  Is this a glitch?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You CANT enchant anything with an empty soul gem. In order to fill a soul gem, you need an empty one in your inventory (no need to hotkey it or doing anything with it, just have it in your inventory).

-

You have to have the ability to "soul trap", whether through spell casting or an enchanted weapon that has the soul trapping ability. Once you kill a CREATURE, not a human, you will absorb its soul (it will be pretty obvious because this blue energy stuff starts swirling around you.

-

You can capture human souls but you must have a black soul gem for that.

-

That help?

You can capture human souls but you need either common or grand empty gems. Not sure which.

I'M PRETTY SURE THAT I U S E D  AN EMPTY SOUL GEM TO ENCHANT MY ITEMS.  I'M NOT ASKING IF I COULD USE THEM.  I KNOW I USED ONE AND IT WORKED.  SO, I WANT TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN USING EMPTY ONES AND UN-EMPTY ONES.  THANK YOU. :)

It might have been that the one you used was already filled with a soul, I have used a few that have been pre filled i have found,  Im in the same boat now have only empty ones which i cant use as I dont have the skill to trap souls yet.

empty ones do nothing an full ones enchant. Empty soul gems can't be selected while enchanting. If you picked up every soul gem you come in contact with, plenty of them are already full.

I have both a bow and a dagger with soul trap enchants that I use for the last blow to kill a creature whenever I have any empty soul gems. Much easier than the soul trap spell.

Get Soul Trap magic or get a weapon that has Soul Trap in it. This will trap a soul into a gem. You cant trap humans unless you got Black Soul Gems.

Does anyone know which creatures can fill Grand Soul Gems and where do you find them?

[quote user="Recaldy"]

You can capture human souls but you need either common or grand empty gems. Not sure which.

[/quote]No you need black soul gems to capture human souls and they are always grand souls.

So if you see a vendor selling empty black soul gems always buy them.

OP,

I notice that you have a silver membership.

Are you connected to xbox live? Because there was a day one patch that fixed a bunch of bugs.