host question

Curious ...........

Shouldnt a host have a 4 bar connection thoughout the whole match, according to the scoreboard?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Not if their internet is being used by someone else or they're downloading/uploading something. Sometimes that is why the host drops 1-2-3.

^^^ pretty much sums it up. I usually have one bar, even though I have a T3 connection I only get four bars unless I'm not the host.

So what would make it so the host has a 3 bar while someone else has 4 bar.

Reason I'm asking .......  I thought I ran into my first "for sure" instance of someone lag switching, so I watched most of the match in theater with the scoreboard up.

But ........... there was always at least 1 person with 4 bars .........and that person kept changing without any migration.

I could understand the hosts connection dropping if he was doing something as meantioned above, but how coud anyone have a better connection to the host than the host himself? If he was doing something to lower his connection, wouldnt everyone else's connection be lowered also?

Correct me if I'm wrong,  but doesn't host have more to do with  ping then with the actual connection itself?

[quote user="LOUISE CYPHRE"]

Correct me if I'm wrong,  but doesn't host have more to do with  ping then with the actual connection itself?

[/quote]

I thought it was upload speed?

[quote user="Only One Snoopy"]

[/quote]

I thought it was upload speed?

[/quote]

Well dont the two correlate to one another?  It would seem that the closer you are to your isp's hub or whatever it's called,  then the faster your upload would be.  But really,  I dont know a thing about this stuff at all.  I just remember a conversation with a buddy of mine one night who actually knows about this stuff and what he said about ping made sense.

"Happy Drinking"

Ping is more about speed while upload is more about quantity.

A combination of the 2 would be best .............  but I have heard that host is about upload.

But any way I look at it I cant see how anyone could have a better connection to the host, than the host himself.

[quote user="a tired old guy"]

A combination of the 2 would be best .............  but I have heard that host is about upload.

But any way I look at it I cant see how anyone could have a better connection to the host, than the host himself.

[/quote]

I agree. It doesnt make any sense.

But im curious as what you mean by quantity?

"Happy Drinking"

[quote user="a tired old guy"]

[/quote]

I agree. It doesnt make any sense.

But im curious as what you mean by quantity?

"Happy Drinking"

[/quote]

Well ping kind of measures how fast you can send a small file. A sportscar would have a good ping.

While good upload speed would also mean that you can carry a lot of passengers or the number of sportscars you can drive at the same time( or more data ) at a decent speed.

Internet provider's Servers are kind of like a bottleneck. The more you pay for a better plan the wider they open that bottleneck to let more of your traffic through.

[quote user="a tired old guy"]But any way I look at it I cant see how anyone could have a better connection to the host, than the host himself.

[/quote]

One of my Dutch friends has that problem.

If he ever gets host (Quite rare), he'll be dropping 3-bar half the time whilst others will be switching between 2-4.

For us playing it's not bad on his host, but for him it's terrible.

I don't understand how it works out either.