Hjerim (Windhelm) problem - (Blood on the Ice spoilers)

Ok, so I am ready to purchase Hjerim in Windhelm, and I was just wondering if anyone knows a way to buy it where the weapon plaques in the house will actually work.

The way I read it was that the problem with the Weapon Plaques is caused by visiting the house before decorations are purchased. Every time I buy a house, I purchase it and buy all the upgrades before I enter it the first time and this has worked for me on all the houses. The problem is, there is no way to purchase decorations for Hjerim without going in the house first since you need to complete 'Blood on the Ice' before you can decorate it. The Blood on the Ice quest requires you to enter the house to find the book and the amulet so right now I can't seem to find a way to buy the house with working plaques. I can purchase the house and decorate it just fine, what I can't do is get it with working Weapon Plaques.

I'm just curious if anyone here has found a way around this. I do have a save that I made right before Blood on the Ice in case I needed to revert, so that's not a problem.. just curious if anyone has this house with everything actually working.

Thanks.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 19 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

But you do all that before you buy the house. You can't buy Hjerim until Blood on the Ice is complete. I believe the point is to buy the house and everything else before you visit for the first time as owner. I think the new patch addresses the weapon plaque issue. In my honeyside, the plaques/racks don't work but the mannequins do.

[quote user="The Lady Bastet"]

But you do all that before you buy the house. You can't buy Hjerim until Blood on the Ice is complete. I believe the point is to buy the house and everything else before you visit for the first time as owner. I think the new patch addresses the weapon plaque issue. In my honeyside, the plaques/racks don't work but the mannequins do.

[/quote]

Yes, the bug occurs if you visit the house before you decorate it. The way to avoid the glitch is to buy the house and the decorations all before you enter the house for the first time. The problem is, this is not possible for Hjerim. You cannot decorate the house until you finish 'Blood on the Ice,' but in that quest you have to enter the house. Therefore, there is no way that I know of to own the house and have working weapon plaques. I'm trying to see if anyone has found a way around this.

It would be cool if the patch fixed this.. my only option might just be patience.

SPOILER BELOW

I bought the house and decorated it before finishing the quest.  Yup.  I know....probably a glitch.  I put the wrong guy in jail and the real killer came back to my home and that's where I killed him.

Interesting, thanks Bizzaro, I'll try that. I have no interest in the outcome of the quest, I don't care if I *** someone over.. I just want my Weapon Plaques. :)

I'm hoping the 1.4 patch is retroactive and will make my weapon plaques work.

im having same problem and  u buy the house before u do the quest  i bought mine before doing the quest

Yeah....weird.  How do you buy a house that shouldn't really up for sale yet? haha.  

i am pretty sure i did the blood on ice. that is the killer that is killing all the girls at night right. i haven't bought a house didn't know i was at a point to buy a house. who sells it? i don't think I am a thane of windhelm or anything. i find myself doing things backwards a lot.

I think my biggest problem is I have a second TV playing movies on and sometimes I don't clearly here what people are saying as I am often watching skyrim and listening to the movie. but it gives me something to do during the transition loads.

anyways. who do you buy the house from and do you have to be a thane? who grants that? I am with the stormcloaks fighting a civil war at present would that have taken me off the thane track?

edit: holy crap that was a mess of rambling! sorry!

You have to do Blood on the Ice and 5 (I think) favor quests which can be anything from delivering a message to chopping wood somewhere in the hold. Then you can be Thane and buy Hjerim, the house the killer was using. That's the case for all the holds (except Whiterun). You have to do 5 favors and a job for the Jarl, then you can be Thane and if they have a house you can buy it. I am Thane of Whiterun and have that house, Thane of Riften and have that house and Thane of Morthal but there is no house though she is my friend and helped me out at the Thalmor Embassy.

after u do the quest to free the prisioners u can buy hjerim and u got to do the quest to pretty it up  lol