Helpful hints for new victims of Dark Souls!

Good morning everyone.  Just starting up a thread for everyone to post up any tips for newcomers to this brutal, BRUUUTAAALLLL game! (I almost smashed my controller a few times last night, and I've beaten Demon Souls a few times.  LoL)

I think this is a good list of 10 helpful ideas for anyone new to the series.

Tips!

Definitely get that sword and shield it lists on #7.  Has been so much more helpful for my Knight.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Those are some good tips there.

Tips that works for me:

I watch the enemy before I strike and hold my shield up and I taunt them to attack and then move away to look at all of their attacks and learn their attack patterns and determine which attacks is the light attacks and which is the strong attacks and which is a single attack and which is combos.

Learning this is VERY important as if you memorize their actions, you'll know what they are about to do before they even do it, and thus you can counter, or dodge, or in some other way, use it to your advantage. My techniques takes alot of patience, so if patiences is not your ideal way of playing this game. Then disregard the techniques below and good luck buddy!!!

Parry - When you learn their attacks, wait for them to use a single LIGHT attack and use the parry technique, and if you time your parry so that you do the parry animation as they are about to hit you, you will parry them, and from there, quickly use a light attack, and you will do a critical strike, about the same damage as a back attack. This works well for taking out enemies quickly or doing a lot of damage to an tough enemy.

Thrust attacks - For this technique, you need to have a weapon that has a thrust as the strong attack. A long sword for example. To use this to your advantage. You want to learn the enemies attack animations and patterns, wait for them to attack as that leaves their defense open, and roll or move to the side to evade the attack, and quickly use the strong attack(Right trigger), to do a thrust attack that will close the distance between you and the target and attack with a strong attack, and then, quickly, hit them with two light attacks and then BACK AWAY if they are not dead!!!!

Almost every enemy, I've came across dies by the third hit, and the first hit throws them of balance, leaving them open for the second and third attack. I do about close to 140 damage with this combo.

I know the enemies animations from so much studying that I usually kill them before they even get the first attack in. I just know the window of time I have to strike when I see them do certain animations from watching what they do.

Fight one on one - As stated in the tips COY posted, DON'T FIGHT GROUPS.........EVER! If you can avoid it, do so. To get to fight groups of enemies one by one, stand far enough away from them, so they don't egage in combat wiht you, but close enough so you can lock in on them with the right analog. And then, hit them with a projectile, throwing knives, bow and arrow, spell, something at range. and that one enemy will charge at you.

Close spaces - I'd highly suggest you DON'T fight enemies in closed space or narrow hallways if you can avoid it. I always let the enemy chase me as I back track until I get to a area where it's wide enough to move around to their side if they attack. Attacking a enemy who has a strong defensive combat style will NOT work in your favor if you fight in a narrow or closed area.

STOP UNNECESSARY ROLLING - I see many youtube videos and many blood stains of people, just rolling multiple times back to back trying to get away from the enemy and then they STILL end up dieing. Rolling takes up a lot of stamina, so if your not in the direct path of an attack, DON'T ROLL. Just move out the way walking/running. Once you roll too many times, and you run out of stamina, you can perform no more actions besides walking and that leaves you open for attacks and you can do nothing to stop them. If you roll too many times un-controllably, you can run into attacks. Which is NOT good.

These techniques have kept me alive since I've found my first humanity. Every enemy I've fought so far hasn't been a challenge to me and I haven't died once from combat since I've found my first humanity. I'm still human after I've turned human after the tutorial. But watch the enemy carefully.

If patience isn't your thing, Demon's/Dark Souls will not be your thing, either.

Also, if it's your first time with the game don't start with a wanderer(unless you REALLY want a challenge.  I did, and it was harder than it needed to be.  I found out later that a more armored or ranged attack character would have been a better choice.