Help! my son is playing m rated games on other consoles

I have my son's settings to block m rated games but he is somehow able to play on other consoles.  Unless I set it up worng.  This shouldn't be the case.  Can anyone assist?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Parental Controls only work on the assigned console. If you want your son's gaming limited you would need to talk to the parents of your sons friends and they would have to set up Parental Controls on their console as well.

Improving Console Safety

Xbox 360 console parental controls

Xbox LIVE Online Safety & Privacy

Another option is to change his password so he can not recover his account to his friends console.  Unfortunately, he can just play as a guest on their console and still play those games.  Talking to the other adults and hoping that they will honour your request is the best bet.

Ummmm,  just my thought here. Tell him to knock it off your your taking away his Xbox privileges at home for a month.

I hang my son from the ceiling fan by his ears until he hears me.

OP, this isn't really a technical answer so forgive me if this is a little preachy. It doesn't matter what you do on your end. Invariably, your child is going to make his or her own decisions and in doing so will sometimes find ways around things. All that can be done is keep talking about what is acceptable and what isn't. It didn't matter how many rules I had to live by I still made some really stupid decisions when I was a kid (more so, teen-kid). I'm pretty sure my mother would have been less than pleased about me and my friends driving a car over a pedestrian overpass at 2 in the morning, or driving on the HS baseball field or the things we did on the golf course(s).....For my mother the line was, "If you get caught doing something stupid, you are on your own." She was also law enforcement.

The bottom line is, preach responsibility and expectations until you are blue in the face with your kid(s). Ultimately, the only power we really have is speech/communication with our children. Sure we can do things like use parental controls, take away privileges, you name it. When that child becomes an adult, it won't be the xbox, the cellphone, or a weekend at a friends house that forms his/her character.

Keep talking to your child about expectations and incorporate some trust. It certainly sounds a bit naive but it has to begin somewhere, sometime. Once they leave the house, whether it be to a friends at 10 or off to college at 18, they are on their own and out of our control. Trust that he/she will do the right thing and when he/she doesn't, hold them accountable and call them out about it. I'm not saying don't use the tools that we have (parental controls) but just be sure to incorporate a lot of talking along the way.

If you know who's house he's doing it at, talk to the parents or the adult and tell them he's not allowed to play that. If it continues, he doesn't go over to that house anymore.

If you block off your child and forbid him things like this, it is wrong on the parents, because I grew up in Moscow where parents didnt care if something so simple and you block your childs off. One day he will be playing mature games, i started playing grand theft auto when i was 8 years old wen it came out in 98, now i still play gta and go to MGU

I never let my son play GTA, but that's up to the individual parent. He's watched horror movies his whole life. I'm not going to call the kettle black.

The console settings only work on the specific Xbox where it was activated, your child is able to play M rated games on other consoles as they probably do not have the same settings as you do. Really the only available options to you are to have an talk with your son, or contact the parents of his friend and ask them to make sure he doesn't play M rated games.