Help moving from PC gaming to Console

Just got an Xbox one. I've primarily been a PC gamer using keyboard and mouse controls. I downloaded Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and am having  a hard time mastering the controls, especially coordinating the movement direction with the camera control. Chasing the pickpocket in an early part of the game was extremely frustrating for example; it was very hard to keep the character running in a straight direction, I was always zigzagging into a building and starting to climb up it. I gave up trying to coordinate the camera and just let it follow me, which was OK but not as satisfactory as what I am used to in PC gaming.

Is it just a matter of practice? are them some hints for using the console controller? I really want to be competent enough with the controller to actually enjoy the game.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

Practice is all that can really be done. I found the camera on Black flag to be a bit frustrating and had the same issue with my first few pickpockets. Just keep practicing. I would take some time to just run around and try to get a grasp for the camera. Without being in a mission.

It just takes practice. I can use m and k as well as controller fine

It is just a matter of practice. I primarily game on my PC these days but there are some games I just can't get used to playing with a keyboard and mouse, Gears of War and the Batman: Arkham titles for example.

PS. Welcome to the Xbox Community.

Yes practice, but don't just do it during parts of the actual gameplay. Mess around and explore.

It seems strange you played PC and never used a controller at all.

It's something that comes with time.

You'll just get used to it.

One thing you might want to get a handle on quickly is "inverting the Y axis".

Basically just push the controller the way you think it should go to look up and if you look up, you're fine.  Otherwise you need to invert the Y axis.

Makes a big difference if you're not used to using a stick and don't have it set up the way you like it.

The truth is you wont transition really. I game still on my PC and I was early PS3/360 and already have PS4/ONE. Some things are just better on PC and other things are worth losing some finite control to be able to sit on the couch.

[quote user="UnyoBro"]

It seems strange you played PC and never used a controller at all.

[/quote][quote user="yozoo"]other things are worth losing some finite control to be able to sit on the couch.[/quote]People don't seem to realise that these days it is increasingly rare for PC game released not to have controller support.

I use a wired 360 controller on my PC and games recognise it and default to that button layout. Switch my display output to my TV and I'm gaming on that just as I would on my 360.

Yeah try using a controller on your PC Games......  That should ease the transition a bit but, dont give up on PC gaming.  GOOD LUCK!!!

"I use a wired 360 controller on my PC and games recognise it and default to that button layout. Switch my display output to my TV and I'm gaming on that just as I would on my 360."

Yeah I tried this a bit a few years back, I found on PC games I like the mouse and keyboard and being very close to the monitor. On some games I dont feel the need to be that "submerged" in the experience, so I play them on the consoles (with controller sitting on the couch). The reason I dont use a controller on my PC or run it through my television is not ignorence, its choice. I use them as different tools to provide different experiences, which they do very well.