HDMI passthrough freezes (dropouts?)

I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD cable box.   I have the STB set to provide 720p output.  I feed the XB1 DTS audio to my Logitech Z5500.

Everything works very well through the XB1 except for two items, one widely reported in other threads which in my situation would be acceptable if a fix is forthcoming and one that is a major annoyance.

The 'acceptable' one is the video quality degradation that accompanies the passthrough, i.e. lack of black depth, graininess, etc.  It is readily apparent, but not a deal breaker for me.

The major annoyance is that randomly, but usually a couple of times every five minutes or so--and sometimes more often--the display and audio freezes for a second or two.  A few times, but rarely, the freeze is for a longer time period and during the long freezes i receive a message saying the TV input signal has been lost.

I never get a freeze (dropout?) when the STB is connected directly to the TV which leads me to believe that it may be a processing problem within the XB1.  I also never get a freeze when playing a game on the XB1.  I've tried using different HDMI cables but that didn't result an any change in the symptoms.

Any ideas as to the cause other than a firmware issue?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 225 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hey Fiddl3r, with the 2nd issue, I've heard of this happening if your STB is set to Stereo or Surround sound and your Live TV app is set to another audio setting. Can you try setting your STB to stereo PCM (or go to Live TV troubleshooting and enable the Surround SOund (Beta) setting)?

PM on Groove Music, formerly worked on OneGuide, TV, and Game Streaming on Xbox One.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="Studbucket33"]

Hey Fiddl3r, with the 2nd issue, I've heard of this happening if your STB is set to Stereo or Surround sound and your Live TV app is set to another audio setting. Can you try setting your STB to stereo PCM (or go to Live TV troubleshooting and enable the Surround SOund (Beta) setting)?

[/quote]

I first tried to change the audio from the STB.  My three choices are:  Dolby Digital, HDMI, and Other.  HDMI is the only one that works.  If I select Dolby Digital then the video freezes until I select Other or HDMI.  If I select Other then no audio is output to the Optical port on the STB leaving HDMI as the only viable choice. This is with or without the Surround Sound (Beta) setting.

From an older version of the manual (firmware changes may have changed this--who knows?) HDMI will use DD 5.1 if the 'receiver' supports it or switch to stereo audio on the HDMI when the 'receiver' doesn't support Dolby Digital.

The result of turning on the Surround Sound (Beta) choice is that the freezes still happen but are greatly reduced in frequency--perhaps to the point where I can 'ignore' them.

On Monday I'll probably take the STB back to the ISP.  The DVDR on this one has been acting up lately--I believe there are bad sectors on the disk--so I can exchange it for a new one.  Who knows, it may 'solve' the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a major issue, I'm having the same one and it just started...it worked at first. Microsoft has failed if they can't get XB1 to work properly...

Sorry this didn't help.

Having the same issue. Worked for a few days when I first plugged it in, but the last few days the TV signal will freeze up. No freeze on the xbox one dashboard. Unplugged my cable box from the xbox till this gets fixed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I have the same problem with the passthrough. I have Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD hooked up and my XB1 audio use SPDIF to my samsung system theater. Seems to be related to that DVR.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well we can't watch tv anymore. Please fix this issue with highest priority. The most important app on a tv is watching live tv. If that doesn't work you've failed.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also have the same problem with a Motorola QIP7216.  It worked fine the first couple of days and then yesterday it started freezing the TV playback.  I have since disconnect the Xbox1 from the cable box and run each to it's own separate HDMI input on the receiver.

Sorry this didn't help.

Using 8300HD also, it's not your specific box. Mine does the same thing.  It freezes during live tv input all the time. It's not a simple hitching either, it's a full on five to ten second freeze that isn't fixed by a reboot.  Bugs are ok at launch but right now MS is completely ignoring the tons of threads about this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable/dvr box that runs my live tv. The first night I used the XB1 I had the freezing screen/black screen issue so I searched this forum and found the following suggestions helped:

Settings:

1) TV & OneGuide settings; Power settings; leave all the choices unchecked for now.

Troubleshooting; leave Surround sound (BETA) unchecked for now.

2) DIsplay & sound; Digital Audio; HDMI audio; Stereo uncompressed for now

Optical audio; Stereo uncompressed for now

3) Power & startup; Turn Xbox off (if you're having the freezing/black screen issue)

Turn off after; Don't turn off automatically

Power Options; Power mode; Energy-saving for now.

4) Kinect; Troubleshooting; KInect doesn't hear me (I go into this if the Kinect has trouble hearing me with voice commands and start the audio check. If you have a receiver hooked up to the XB1 as I do I have the Optical audio set to DTS Digital Surround and you can hear the difference on your speakers while doing this test. Some say to leave this setting at Stereo uncompressed if you're having problems with the fast forward/rewind function on your dvr.)

In my opinion the XB1 goes into a sleep/hibernation mode and can't connect with the live tv again when you want the XB1 to wake up when you try to make everything work. Whenever I've had the freeze/black screen issue I've gone to the Power & startup section and turned the XBox off completely. When it starts again I've seen the green Xbox screen just like the initial startup. So, I'm keeping the instant on off for now and keeping it in energy mode which kills a lot of the features, but also keeps my live tv on until MS can figure it out.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm also having this problem too. I have a Comcast Motorolla receiver. Everything worked fine since I got my console on Sunday, and it just started this morning. Had to switch back to wiring the box straight to TV until this is fixed.

Sorry this didn't help.