Having trouble purchasing MS Points? Check here

This is for those of you that have had problems adding payment methods or purchasing MS Points.

I had this problem for over a year and had tried just about everything, and nothing worked. I have finally found a fix that worked for me, so I thought I would post it here instead of replying to everyones seperate threads.

Alright so finally I have fixed this issue and am now able to buy MS points
again! I still can not use paypal as a payment method but I can add a card so
that is fine by me.

What I did to finally get it working was change my billing contact email on xbox.com to a new email,
different than my WLID that is tied to my gamertag, and now it works fine.

Post here if this helps you, if not I will try my best to help you get it sorted.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 103 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hey there BluWolve! I appreciate the assistance you are providing here, but we do encourage users to make a new thread for their issue to help keep everything neat and tidy. Please feel free to continue helping out in their threads though, we definitely appreciate it! Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok DANIEL100500, let us try to get you sorted.

1.If you could sign into xbox.com, then go to "My Account" (There is a link at the top right of the screen, under your gamertag).

2.Then Under "Paymet & Billing" select "Billing Contact Information".

3.Then Change your email address to an email that is not the one tied to your xbox live account.

4.Check all your other info is correct, then save.

5.Try making a purchase again.

Also check the Microsoft billing website (link below) to see if you owe Microsoft any money

billing.microsoft.com/home.aspx

If that does not help please post as much information you can provide, perhaps in the form of a step-by-step guide of what you did before and after you realised you had this problem. Also stuff like if this payment method worked previously, if you have ever tried to make a purchase without the available funds etc. Hope to hear from you soon. and post your issue and I will do my best to further assist you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Error: "Sorry, there's an issue with your account. To fix the problem, visit https://account.live.com or choose a diferent payment method."

I have this problem and I can't purchase anything like microsoft points or xbox live gold, from my console, I need help.

Sorry this didn't help.

No problem NeatPortal, It is good to know you have got it sorted. If you happen to have the same issue again, feel free to come back and post in this thread.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry I havent posted had the WORST headache... Anyways as you can see I got minecraft.. I don't know how it happend but here:

I read what you said. I was going to do it right away until I said " Let me try 1 more time." I clicked 800 and it worked!!"

I clicked 1600 and it didnt :\

I clicked 400 and it worked.. then I bought minecraft..

But I do think it has something to do with Microsoft. not your DC or CC or Bank.

Thanks anyways!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes I know it can be frustrating being told by someone who gets paid to help you that they are not going to help you. You pay for a service and you should get to use 100% of that service. It is still worth keeping in contact with them though, if you ask to get put through to level 2 tech support and get a reference number it is shown on your account records so you do not have to explain your issue everytime you call, and there are people there that do try their best. Also, The fact you live in Canada will not matter with this sort of issue. Unfortunately if nothing so far has worked, we will have to run through all the basic troubleshooting steps to try to determine where the error lies.

One thing I want to ask first, though it may not be relevant, is a question about when you changed your billing contact email. Was the email you changed to a Windows Live or hotmail email account? Or was it something different like a gmail account or yahoo? As I said it may not be relevant but I used a windows live email when it worked for me, so maybe if you used a different type of email address that could be why it didn't work.

Moving on, If you have already done any of the following then you may not have to do it again, just tell me if you have done it.

1. You will need to remove ALL payment methods from your account.
  2. Add ONE of you cards, doesn't matter which one, just your preferred one.
  3. Try buying some points.

Once you have done that let me know how things are going and if you are still having issues we will try some more troubleshooting steps.

Sorry this didn't help.

I checked the billing website yesterday and it says my credit card status is "good". I'm a bit reluctant to call the MS support line again because they were not at all helpful the last time I called. The guy just kept saying that he couldn't see anything wrong on his end and that I would just have to buy a points card. I suppose I can try calling them again, but I can't imagine I will get better help this time around. Do you think it would make any difference that we live in Canada?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the detail edj2010. From the sounds of thing it is definitely something on Microsofts end that is causing you trouble. First thing I would suggest is checking the Microsoft billing website found here

to check if you owe Microsoft any money. I could probably guess you don't but it does not hurt to check and be sure.

If everything there seems to be in order you will have to give MS Support a call so they can bring up your account and see if there is something they can see wrong. Sometimes after a failed purchase attempt Microsoft blocks an account from being able to make any more purchases.

If after that you are still having the issue, please come back and post an update and we will try some more troubleshooting.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We're having the exact same problems you had. We're trying to buy 400 points. We tried 2 different credit cards and a Paypal account. Both of the credit cards have plenty of money on them. We called our bank and they see Xbox charges coming thru, but for $0. Everything is ok on the bank's end. I tried changing our billing email twice and that does not help. We were able to add 1400 points with a pre-paid card, but we don't want to buy another 1400 point card to get a 1600 point game. Any ideas?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thankyou NeatPortal, that really does help. I apologise for the inconvenience, I had a similar situation when it stopped working for me. My step-daughter had her friends over and I tried to rent a movie for them with no luck. It is very frustrating when plans you have made are ruined because of a stupid technical error.

It is strange that you were able to get 400 points after it wouldn't let you get a higher amount. Are you 100% sure that you had sufficient funds on your card to buy the 1600 MSP? Also keep in mind that when buying Microsoft points with a card you need to have the funds for the points and also some extra money (usually 1 - 2 of your local currency) that gets charged as a pre-authorisation fee (checks your card is valid). You do get that pre-authorisation money back after a couple of days, but if you do not have the full amount in your account the transaction will fail. For example, in Australia 500 MSP cost $8.25, and the pre-authorisation fee is $2, so if I wanted to buy 500 points, I would need $10.25 in my bank.

Personally I think it does not sound like a problem with your bank, (since you have had no problems before) but you should still give them a call just to make sure. Ask them if there are any blocks or limits on your card, particularly for online transactions. Do you know if you can still use the same card for other online purchases? Have you tried using a different payment card or perhaps paypal?

Also, since you had a couple of failed transaction attempts, you may want to look here

to check if you have any outstanding money to pay Microsoft. Although they should have told you when you called up, sometimes the support representatives can make mistakes, so it is good to check yourself.

So try to answer the following;

• Did you have sufficient funds (including the pre-authorisation fee) when you tried to buy the 1600 MSP the first time it failed?
  • Has your bank placed any blocks on your card?
  • Can you still use your card for other online purchases?
  • Can you use a different payment method?
  • Do you owe Microsoft any money (check at microsoft billing website)?

and then get back to me.

Sorry this didn't help.