Hardpoint

Why on Earth did they think it was a good idea to have a set order for the hardpoint locations?  Makes it extremely unfair for the casual player.

/random thought

Discussion Info

Last updated August 27, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

I had a match one day where the enemy wasnt holding the hardpoint all that well, but they had it taken instantly every time it changed. It was if they just tried holding for a certain period of time, bail on it and head straight for the next one.

there was no delay even between announcing the hardpoint and announcing that the enemy took it..

I have seen it change though. On highjacked I was automatically counting on the first one being the little booth thing in the middle of the ship and would always bee-line straight toward it after spwaning .... the other day I did that and it wasnt there.

I'm not really sure how it works. At times I think its always the same, but other times I think it changes ..... cant say for sure, my memory of spawns and orders of objective locations isnt all that great.

Pretty sure it's always the same, but I could be wrong.  I only play it when it comes up in multi team.  I found a few sites that list the locations and rotation for the spawns on each map.  I'm debating on playing hardpoint at all now because these sheets I printed are going to make it a cakewalk.  Better me than them, I guess...

It makes it more fair, actually. Everyone has an equal opportunity to setup spawns prior to the new hardpoint spawning. Randomness makes everything less fair, since one team is going to have an advantage determined entirely by chance.

If memorizing a short sequence of locations is too hard for the so called "casual gamer", then they should be called "stupid gamer" - not casual.

And yes, they are set by default. You can randomize the spawns in custom matches.

We playtested a lot in every set up possible, from linear to random to random after center, and this was the most strategic and fair design possible.  We also tested additive score, which means that you would get more score for more players in the zone, but this ended up being a way for a team to win by landslide, which wasn't very fun.

Have linear locations means that the strategy of leaving players at the current zone and having players peel off to the next zone comes into play, which has been great to see.  It's also awesome to see the pros learning how the spawning works in Hardpoint, going as far as designating one player the "anchor" who claims the prime spawn zone for their team.

So they definitely are always the same .... maybe I joined in progress not realizing.

[quote user="MaTtKs"]

We playtested a lot in every set up possible, from linear to random to random after center, and this was the most strategic and fair design possible.  We also tested additive score, which means that you would get more score for more players in the zone, but this ended up being a way for a team to win by landslide, which wasn't very fun.

Have linear locations means that the strategy of leaving players at the current zone and having players peel off to the next zone comes into play, which has been great to see.  It's also awesome to see the pros learning how the spawning works in Hardpoint, going as far as designating one player the "anchor" who claims the prime spawn zone for their team.

[/quote]

Both very good decisions. Having additive score would make the game more volatile and take away from the strategy.

The strategy of controlling spawns (with the anchor) is why I much prefer Hardpoint to Domination as the third competitive gamemode. Hardpoint is much more dynamic in that regard.

Core mode Hardpoint should have the scoring "tweeked" a bit (XP-wise). Competetive wouldnt really matter for this. Its silly when three guys jump on the Hardpoint and only one guy gets the "cap" 200 XP, then everyone bails to killwhor3, because there is no reward for guarding the point besides some additional XP for kill and stuff. I just think a HQ type of continuous score should be dished out. I havent played it a ton, but thats my initial thoughts (2 cents). In short, the guy left behind guarding the HP gets nothing, but his team is set up past the HP spawn trapping the enemy and the guy on the HP gets nothing for keeping the team HP score continuously going up.

[quote user="UneasyJmitchell"]

Core mode Hardpoint should have the scoring "tweeked" a bit (XP-wise). Competetive wouldnt really matter for this. Its silly when three guys jump on the Hardpoint and only one guy gets the "cap" 200 XP, then everyone bails to killwhor3, because there is no reward for guarding the point besides some additional XP for kill and stuff. I just think a HQ type of continuous score should be dished out. I havent played it a ton, but thats my initial thoughts (2 cents). In short, the guy left behind guarding the HP gets nothing, but his team is set up past the HP spawn trapping the enemy and the guy on the HP gets nothing for keeping the team HP score continuously going up.

[/quote]

Agreed with this as well. There is very little incentive to sit on the hardpoint.

A little off topic, but I always hated hardpoint until I decided to level up the assault shield. Its kind of a cheap trick, but I'll just find a place to back myself into a corner and do absolutely nohing but concentrate on blocking bullets ( except for the 2 c4s ). A lot of times they dont even notice me there and seem confused why they cant take it. Other times I've just played sponge for a while and my teammates would come in and kill them all while they are concentrating on trying to kill me.

It makes me laugh.

[quote user="Jagriff"]

If memorizing a short sequence of locations is too hard for the so called "casual gamer", then they should be called "stupid gamer" - not casual.

[/quote]

It has nothing to do with intelligence.  It has to do with how much you're willing to devote to it.  If you want to devote your time (albeit not a whole lot)  to learning the 3-5 hardpoint areas on 15 different maps, and the order in which they come up, then I'd consider you a little more than a casual gamer.  Just my opinion, though.  

Thanks for replying Matt.  It's always good to hear the thought process behind the choices made.