hard drive

can you still play a game you bought off the hard drive

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Unless it is on the same exact Console it was purchased on, no. The License when anything is purchased goes two places, the GT that bought the Content (Signed In to Xbox LIVE verifies if on a different Console ID) and the Console ID it was purchased on (for all Profiles on the Console ID). That's it, so sorry no a Game or any DLC will not simply work from a HDD (unless it has the License to do so).

[quote user="LostKauz"]

Unless it is on the same exact Console it was purchased on, no. The License when anything is purchased goes two places, the GT that bought the Content (Signed In to Xbox LIVE verifies if on a different Console ID) and the Console ID it was purchased on (for all Profiles on the Console ID). That's it, so sorry no a Game or any DLC will not simply work from a HDD (unless it has the License to do so).

[/quote]

Hello Lost, your explanation is a little different over here. You mentioned that the "new" Owner of the Console would not need his GT. All that would be needed is the Games and Content itself (provided the was no License Transfer completed away from that Console ID).

-

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/general_discussion/f/2176/t/250810.aspx

-

Would like to clarify which is the accurate explanation so we can provide the community with the correct answers.

[quote user="Lord BaneJ"]

[quote user="LostKauz"]

[/quote]

Hello Lost, your explanation is a little different over here. You mentioned that the "new" Owner of the Console would not need his GT. All that would be needed is the Games and Content itself (provided the was no License Transfer completed away from that Console ID).

-

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/general_discussion/f/2176/t/250810.aspx

-

Would like to clarify which is the accurate explanation so we can provide the community with the correct answers.

[/quote]Sure no problem.

The OP in this Thread is enquiring in regards to the HDD alone having a Game/ Content on it. This would not work as there is no License on just the HDD. It will only contain the Content but the DRM would not exist due to no Console ID.

The OP in the other Thread said along with the Console that the DLC was purchased on. This would contain the License and DRM in order for use of any Profile if the Content still exist on the HDD.

So just to be clear, the License and DRM (Digital Rights Management) is always on two locations;

• The Console ID it was purchased on (used On or Offline)
  • The Profile that purchased it (Online required if the above is missing)

An HDD alone with only Content is just that, Content that belongs to no Console ID or Profile.

But if the game was originally bought and downloaded to the hardisk, there obviously must have a console id?

-

Does that means if I took the hardisk out from console A and plugged into console B (Without the presence of the original GT that purchase it) then I will not be able to access the purchased content?

-

Whilst on the other hand,  i can use GT B to access the same content purchased by GT A  as long as there are no license transfer and changes to the hardisk and console (Without the presence of  GT A on the same box)?

[quote user="Lord BaneJ"]But if the game was originally bought and downloaded to the hardisk, there obviously must have a console id?[/quote]Yes and no. The Console ID is written to the HDD when the Download is created but it must verify each time the Content is active. If the Console ID has changed but the HDD and Content remains the same, there will not be any Access other then the original Profile that purchased it while Connected to Xbox LIVE to vouch for the missing Console ID.

[quote user="Lord BaneJ"]Does that means if I took the hardisk out from console A and plugged into console B (Without the presence of the original GT that purchase it) then I will not be able to access the purchased content?[/quote]This is correct. There would be no available Access to any Content from any Profile other then the original Profile that purchased the Content and that Profile is Signed In to Xbox LIVE. If that Profile is either not present or does not Sign In to Xbox LIVE, that Profile will not have Access to that Content as well.

[quote user="Lord BaneJ"]Whilst on the other hand,  i can use GT B to access the same content purchased by GT A  as long as there are no license transfer and changes to the hardisk and console (Without the presence of  GT A on the same box)?[/quote]This is correct as well. If the Content is on the original Console ID and HDD it was purchased on (sans a License Transfer), it will be accessible to any Profile on that Console ID, regardless if the Profile that originally purchased it is present or not.

Simplest method of viewing DRM;

• If it's the OG Console, it works for everyone
  • If the OG Profile is on any Console ID other then the OG Console ID it will only work for that Profile if Signed in to XBL

One of the two must always be present. The Console ID "rules over all" and supersedes all License Content sans a License Transfer from the OG Profile.

If I am reading your Post correctly, You are mistaken about one thing. If I am reading it correctly you are saying if it is the Original Console ( OG means Original Gangster by the way, not sure how it relates to Consoles unless they were owned by Ice T or Flavor Flav) Then anyone can play the game or Arcade game or DLC content offline. In my experience this is not true. If it is the same GT and Console then yes it can be accessed offline. If it is a different Gamertag but the original Console then it still need to be connected to XBL to verify the DRM.

[quote user="Tatakai no Kami"]Then anyone can play the game or Arcade game or DLC content offline. In my experience this is not true. If it is the same GT and Console then yes it can be accessed offline. If it is a different Gamertag but the original Console then it still need to be connected to XBL to verify the DRM.[/quote]Yes, any Profile can play any Content if it is from the same Console ID it was originally (OG also) Downloaded on.

If it does not it is either Profile Locked (Online Passes by Developer) or it is a different Console ID (wrong License Content).

[quote user="LostKauz"]

[quote user="Tatakai no Kami"]Then anyone can play the game or Arcade game or DLC content offline. In my experience this is not true. If it is the same GT and Console then yes it can be accessed offline. If it is a different Gamertag but the original Console then it still need to be connected to XBL to verify the DRM.[/quote]Yes, any Profile can play any Content if it is from the same Console ID it was originally (OG also) Downloaded on.

If it does not it is either Profile Locked (Online Passes by Developer) or it is a different Console ID (wrong License Content).

[/quote] But it still needs to be connected to live, Unless they have changed it in the last few months. Also how is it an Original gangster too?

[quote user="Tatakai no Kami"][quote user="LostKauz"][quote user="Tatakai no Kami"]Then anyone can play the game or Arcade game or DLC content offline. In my experience this is not true. If it is the same GT and Console then yes it can be accessed offline. If it is a different Gamertag but the original Console then it still need to be connected to XBL to verify the DRM.[/quote]Yes, any Profile can play any Content if it is from the same Console ID it was originally (OG also) Downloaded on.

[/quote] But it still needs to be connected to live, Unless they have changed it in the last few months. Also how is it an Original gangster too?[/quote]Ah, I see, I missed that. Whether or not the Console ID as a whole is Connected to Xbox LIVE/ I'll have to test and get back with some results. I never really tried without the absence on Xbox LIVE all together. But just to clarify, do you want no Connection period (even the Console not Connected) or just no OG Profile or both (?). I'll try both;

• No Connection, period
  • No Profile Connection but Console Connected

OG is also "OriGinal".

No connection period. I know if the original profile is not on the console and you sign in with another to live you can access the content. But my experience is that if you are not connected to live you cannot access the content if you are not connected to live.

Orig. is the abbreviation for Origin or original. OG has never ever been the abbreviation for Original, it means Original Gangster/Gangsta/Ginger. OG is also sometimes used to refer to Jay-Z's imaginary friends too apparently. You can look that up in the dictionary or even the urban dictionary