Halo: CEA to support Kinect

Click

Microsoft Game Studios corporate vice-president Phil Spencer has confirmed that 343 Industries' tasty-looking Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary will support Kinect.

The remark slipped out during an interview with Gamespot. "Core focus for us in our press briefing this year with Kinect actually came from two sides," Spencer explained.

"As a first-party, we believe that Kinect will be important to all genres of games, be it racing games with Forza, combat games like Ryse. Even games like Halo Anniversary has Kinect integration."

Spencer wouldn't reveal the precise nature of Anniversary's Kinect functionality, but his comments (also to Gamespot) last week may serve as some indication.

"It's not a mandate that everything we do in first party has to support Kinect right now. But I will say, specifically with voice, that there are some things that just seem to make navigating and playing games so much easier...that I would guess the answer will be yes in the end that you'll see all first-party games using some form of Kinect functionality."

Voice control is the one feature we can imagine gelling naturally with Combat Evolved's gunplay. Imagine ordering UNSC marines to dig in behind a tank as you trundle towards the Covenant lines, or having them distract Elites while you circle round to a turret.

Kinect evangelist Kudo Tsunoda has suggested it may take years for Kinect to fulfil its potential.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Cool, I'm definitely interested to see how they implement it into the game. Although, I hope it's more than voice control, because we could use that feature in Rainbow Six with a headset. like maybe they could do something along the line of opening doors or throwing grenades with Kinect (campaign only, leave my multi-player alone!)

If done correctly; it would definitely make me want to pick up a Kinect.

Throwing grenades with voice?

Bye bye competitive gaming, later any serious gameplay whatsoever. *** Kinect.

whining, swearing, racial insults and high pitched voices all cause instant suicide. Unless you're yelling at your inept AI squad to get out of the way.

Kinect?  Really?

Suddenly, teabagging takes on a new form...

[quote user="ChainSmokingBob"]

Throwing grenades with voice?

Bye bye competitive gaming, later any serious gameplay whatsoever. *** Kinect.

[/quote]

Lol no, I should have made that clearer; my bad.

I meant throwing a grenade with an arm movement, and opening doors with voice. I said it would be for campaign only, and it was only a suggestion for things that they could possibly do.

I'm not a game designer so I'm sure they can can up with some cool stuff, I was just voicing a few thoughts. Because I agree, throwing a grenade with a voice command would be rather lame.

As soon as something becomes, it will only get more and more extreme.

Since Kinect exists, it will become more and more extreme. More and more integrated with what we play. Eventually we'll, no matter what, Kinect WILL be used as standard to play games, until it gets replaced by something more advanced.

I do not want to see the day where the pathetic attempts for fitness through consoles becomes standard for ALL games. Kinect is the beginning of that.

Like I say, *** Kinect.

Since Kinect exists, it will become more and more extreme. More and more integrated with what we play. Eventually we'll, no matter what, Kinect WILL be used as standard to play games, until it gets replaced by something more advanced.

I do not want to see the day where the pathetic attempts for fitness through consoles becomes standard for ALL games. Kinect is the beginning of that.

Like I say, *** Kinect.

[/quote]Agreed. Keep that crap in its own little genre. I DO NOT want kinect BS inserted into the games I play. It'll be like the hard drive, which when it first launched M/S claimed "you can play all games w/o it" but then slowly over time that changed and now you can't play some games w/o it.

[quote user="Fresh Kills"]

Snip

[/quote]Snip

[/quote]

I can certainly see where you guys are coming from and I have the same concerns.

But seeing as of how we have no real information on what they will be doing with it, and the fact that it will most likely support it even without Kinect; I'm going to stay positive and withhold judgment until we see what they do with it.

O I'm positive. Positive that I want kinect to stay in its own genre.

Like I say, *** Kinect.

[/quote]

I have to disagree with this.  It is generally not a smart business move to completely isolate a segment of your audience.  The introduction of Kinect did exactly what it needed to do, and it works great for it's intended audience. The emergence of Kinect integration with other games (i.e., Mass Effect 3) is a smart move too.  You will have folks that have only purchased the 360 for Kinect and suddenly you see a trickle of those people passing over from Kinect games to traditional sit-my-butt-down-on-the-couch games.  Who may explore other games.  This is more revenue for MS.  As a shareholder, I approve of this.

I won't be utilizing Kinect functionalities on Halo CEA or Mass Effect 3.  Primarily because I don’t own a Kinect (I have no room for it). Thankfully, I can still play the games without a Kinect.  Will we see more games with Kinect functionalities?  Absolutely.  Will MS make Kinect a requirement to play traditional sit-my-butt-down-on-the-couch games?  No.  Never.  A large portion of their customers would then have to move to a different gaming console if that was the case because not all of us have the space requirements for a Kinect.  MS does not want to lose their customer base.  They want to keep us, and more importantly, they want to keep receiving our money.