Halo: CE Anniversary Edition

I didn't see a forum for the upcoming remake of Halo: Combat Evolved. That said, I had a question about the online. First let me explain where i'm coming from. I am one of those guys that absolutely loved the first Halo, I stood in line at midnight to get Halo 2 and then quickly fell out of love with the franchise.

I'm very excited to see my favorite Halo game getting updated with HD graphics and 16x9 widescreen display with online coop. But it sounds like the online MP will be different than the system link maps that Halo: CE sported...

Can someone help me understand what the MP in Reach was all about and how the new game will compare? Also, it sounded like the maps will be "inspired" by the originals, but not the same... is that true?

Sorry if this post is confusing i'm just trying to get a feel for what to expect. Any information you have would be appreciated.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

There will be more than system linking shipping with this game, it's 2011! There will be 7 multiplayer maps from the game which will be integrated into the Halo: Reach matchmaking ecosystem as to not break up the current player base. We don't know the details of it, but from what I've heard/seen, they are pretty much the same maps with better graphics and minor alterations to help balance the maps out with Armor Abilities and such. They are not different maps, just slightly altered.

~

But, I wonder, how did Halo 2 turn you off to the franchise? It was a very good game.

I knew it would be more than system link... I just wanted to know where the similarities and differences of both the maps and gameplay ended. For example, why add armor abilities? I never played Reach so I don't even know what they are about, but why change the gameplay at all? They are remaking a classic that was loved by millions, and IMO it should not be changed, except where necessary. (I do remember the covershield and camoflauge, so if that is what we are talking about then fine.) I just would rather focus on shooting than racing to the best armor spawn points. I also fel the maps were very balanced in Halo. Someone could be sitting on a perch with the sniper rifle or rocket launcher and I could still usually find a way to take them down. I think only some very modest tweaking would be necessary.

I played Halo 2 for a couple months. The reason it turned me off in the end is simple. I totally hated dual wielding and how that one thing changed the game. I was a decent but not great player, but a pet peeve of mine was respawing with an assault rifle while a guy sporting 2 guns was standing right there. The campaign was not as fun and I never felt the urge to play it again, unlike Halo: CE where I played that campaign (both single and coop) dozens of times.

I don't mean to start any flame wars or sound like a whiner... I just hope they do H:CE justice in the end.

Dual Wielding turned you off Halo 2?

Because the AR is so cool and the SMG really ruined it? Right.

[quote user="Space Goonie"]

I knew it would be more than system link... I just wanted to know where the similarities and differences of both the maps and gameplay ended. For example, why add armor abilities? I never played Reach so I don't even know what they are about, but why change the gameplay at all? They are remaking a classic that was loved by millions, and IMO it should not be changed, except where necessary. (I do remember the covershield and camoflauge, so if that is what we are talking about then fine.) I just would rather focus on shooting than racing to the best armor spawn points. I also fel the maps were very balanced in Halo. Someone could be sitting on a perch with the sniper rifle or rocket launcher and I could still usually find a way to take them down. I think only some very modest tweaking would be necessary.

I played Halo 2 for a couple months. The reason it turned me off in the end is simple. I totally hated dual wielding and how that one thing changed the game. I was a decent but not great player, but a pet peeve of mine was respawing with an assault rifle while a guy sporting 2 guns was standing right there. The campaign was not as fun and I never felt the urge to play it again, unlike Halo: CE where I played that campaign (both single and coop) dozens of times.

I don't mean to start any flame wars or sound like a whiner... I just hope they do H:CE justice in the end.

[/quote]

Well, if you've never played Reach, you simply won't understand. They're not changing anything. Halo: CE didn't have online matchmaking, so rather than changing, they're adding. As I said, they did not want to break up the current player base. Halo: CEA is a "remake", a re-release of a game with better graphics. It's not a new game, and IMO adding the maps to Reach matchmaking was a genius idea. Rather than have half the people migrate to the Anniversary for a while, they can play with everyone else too.

You felt the maps of CE were balanced. Well that's exactly why they're altering them a bit. We're talking miniscule alterations, not full fledged "based on a previous map" changes. Armor Abilities changed the style of the game. What once was a completely inaccessible area in an old game is now accessible by using a Jet Pack. Weapon spawns can now be reached faster by people using Sprint. There are so many things that probably need to be rebalanced to account for the Armor Abilities. You should do a little more research on the game to see how they're making things play out and what changes they're making. Your own research will explain much more than anyone here can explain to you.

I think it'll be pretty cool. I hope they have firefight maps because im horrible at team slayer

There will be 1 Firefight map. 343 is making it sound like it's going to be a great one. They said that this map does things no other Firefight map has done before.

[quote user="Noble 29"]They said that this map does things no other Firefight map has done before.[/quote]Hmmm.......what....could it be....?

They said that this map does things no other Firefight map has done before.

Something no other firefight map has done before... Does that mean it'll acually be a good map for once! :D TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL

No but srs, I hope it's a vehical ONLY firefight map! :D

Nothing is going to be changed except for the graphics rendering they are not putting classes or anything like that in so don't get yourself all upset. They are adding online multiplayer, online co-op, achievements. No More No Less.

[quote user="Space Goonie"]

I didn't see a forum for the upcoming remake of Halo: Combat Evolved. That said, I had a question about the online. First let me explain where i'm coming from. I am one of those guys that absolutely loved the first Halo, I stood in line at midnight to get Halo 2 and then quickly fell out of love with the franchise.

I'm very excited to see my favorite Halo game getting updated with HD graphics and 16x9 widescreen display with online coop. But it sounds like the online MP will be different than the system link maps that Halo: CE sported...

Can someone help me understand what the MP in Reach was all about and how the new game will compare? Also, it sounded like the maps will be "inspired" by the originals, but not the same... is that true?

Sorry if this post is confusing i'm just trying to get a feel for what to expect. Any information you have would be appreciated.

[/quote]

The mp will be nothing like the original CE. It will be a Reach map pack (343 said it)