Halo 3 partly unreadable

I recently started playing the halo 3 campaign again, and when I reach the 3rd mission, or load some of the later missions, I get the message "disc unreadable" and it brings me to dashboard.  The same problem occurs for some of the online maps, but not all of them.  I've tried my friend's disc and also removed my hard drive with no results.  I'm still using the same xbox that i played the game on originally, and i have never had problems for this or any other game before now.  No other games i own have this problem.  Does anybody else have a similar problem or have any solutions or suggestions on how to fix this (short of repair, as I would rather not play halo 3 than pay the $99, since I am out of warranty)?

Thank you

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

The only thing I could suggest is to try installing the Halo 3 disc on the harddrive and playing from there or deleting all the content off and re-downloading it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Try clearing the cache of your Hard Drive, go to system settings select your hard drive and press Y, you should see the option there.

This will clear out an temporary files and force games to reload them. It will also clear your system updates, so you will be prompted to download those again when you insert the disc.

This procedure will not damage or remove any save games, so is safe to do.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, but I have already tried all of that, I have deleted all content in the memory as well as clearing the cache, and reinstalled it also, I also tried playing without a hard drive, and nothing improved, so I don't think it can be a problem with my hard drive.  It also can't be my disc because with my friend's disc the exact same problem happened.  It must be something wrong with my console, but it's strange that this only happens with halo 3.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey mate, it is strange that the issue is only occurring with Halo 3, but it does sound like the drive may be the issue. To be sure, have you tried your friend's disc with your HDD detached?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just tried my HDD and disc in my friend's console, with no issues.  I'm still confused how my console is causing this problem exclusively on Halo 3, but as long as it doesn't effect any other games, i guess i will just live with it.

Thanks for your help

Sorry this didn't help.

I am curious about something so it might be worth a try OP (possible not though).

Seen as how you can not get past this level that is freezing anyway would you consider deleting the game save?.
Then trying to play through to this level and seeing if the issue persists.

And because I'm posting I cant view the other replies right now, have you tried installing the game to your HDD?.

Sorry this didn't help.