Gunpowder and Dye?

Two questions:  

How do you get gun power?  I'm tired of mining with pick axes... need TNT.  

Also, how do you dye wool with that blue stuff?  And what do you do with wool?  It seems like I have a bunch of materials but no way to do anything with them.  Is there a way to get more crafting options, outside of the work bench and furnace?  

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

You get gun powder when you kill creepers.  A good strategy is to build a monster spawn room.  Then use water to automatically drown them and dump the gun powder at the end of the channel.  There are a million monster farm how's all over the internet.

Wool is used to make a bed among other things.  The bed is the most important because it becomes your respawn point every time you sleep in it.

[quote user="IxAMxSNIPERFROG"]

Two questions:  

How do you get gun power?  I'm tired of mining with pick axes... need TNT.  

Also, how do you dye wool with that blue stuff?  And what do you do with wool?  It seems like I have a bunch of materials but no way to do anything with them.  Is there a way to get more crafting options, outside of the work bench and furnace?  

[/quote]Gunpowder is only gained from killing Creepers.
You use dye at a crafting bench on wool.
Wool is decorative. Minus the bed, mostly.
Not to my knowledge.

That's crazy about the creepers.  I killed like 5 of them without them blowing up last night and none of them dropped anything.  Interesting idea on monster farming.  Don't want to spoil too much of the game, so I'll give trapping a shot without instructions.

Thanks guys.  

Usually creepers will drop two piles of gunpowder for me. They must not like you, haha.

Or maybe I just didn't notice.  Which is a very real possibility.  Another explanation is that I probably have a few gunpowders in a chest at my camp that I put there during one of my mass purges of inventory.  Speaking of which, that's one thing I don't like about the game.  The inventory system is kind of clumsy.  You can drop a few loads of stone to clear space just to accidentally pick it right back up.  

Is there a way to destroy something instead of just dropping it.  I know lava works, but is there another more conveinient way than that?

Oh, one other question:  Do you tend to find more resources in/under mountains than hills?  There's a huge mountain range on the other side of my map, but I've already invested a bunch of work into my current house that connects to my cave that leads down to my first mine site.  Don't want to move on just yet... but I'm tired of digging through dirt and stone just for a little iron, gold and diamonds.  And where do you find obsidian?

Anything that burns (wood, wood planks, sticks, saplings, etc) can be used as fuel in the forge.  I find it's an easy and product way to burn the extra I have.

Always look for caves and then "clean" them up as you dig down.  It makes mining easier and you are more likely to run into different metals.  Eventually when you get deep enough you will hit solid dark grey blocks you can not destroy.  That is the bed rock and as deep as you can do.  Look for diamonds in the space between 10 blocks up and the bed rock.  Obsidian can be made by pouring water on lava.  However, I have run into a bug with the buckets and water.  I have not been able to work around that yet.  However, lava can be picked up with the bucket and moved to where there is water.