The Game DVR for Windows 10 is great when it works, but it has some issues.
General support for the DVR can be found here:
Windows Game DVR System Requirements:
Supported Video Cards:
- Radeon HD 7000 series
- Radeon HD 7000M series
- Radeon HD 8000 series
- Radeon HD 8000M series
- Radeon R7 series
- Radeon R9 series
- GeForce 600 Series or later
- GeFOrce 800M series or later
- Quadro Kxxx series or later
- HD 4000 or later
- Iris 5100 or later
Trouble shooter guides can be found at:
Try Full-Screen Mode:
Sometimes you'll get an error "There's nothing to record" when running a game in windowed mode. It'll refuse to run unless the game is in full-screen mode. You'll have to change the settings in your game to get it to fill screen. Another option is to press Alt-Enter and that may switch it to full screen.
You won't see the game bar in full screen so you'll need to use your shortcuts to start/stop recording.
According to that article you need to press these keys in sequence to start recording. Other keyboard shortcuts won't work.
- Windows + Alt + G
- Windows + Alt + R
Restart GAME DVR Task:
- Open up the Task Manager (Right click on the taskbar and go to Task Manager OR Press Windows-X and then press T)
- Find the DVR Server task (bcastdvr.exe). Click it and go to End Task.
Delete Temporary Files:
- Open Settings App and go to System
- Go to Storage and choose This PC
- Scroll down and find Temporary files
- Click on it and then click on Delete temporary files.
This process may take a while to complete - it all depends on how many you have. Wait until it's complete and then reboot your PC and try again.
Change the Shortcut Keys:
Sometimes it's possible that the shortcut keys are blocked by another program - you can't record by pressing Windows + Alt + R for example.
You can change these or assign a secondary shortcut by:
- Start menu
- Game DVR
- Keyboard shortcuts
Reinstall or Upgrade Your Graphics Card Drivers:
Visit your graphics card manufacturer's website, locate your model and download the latest drivers. Install/reinstall them, reboot and try the DVR again.