GTA V on Games On Demand?

This is what Rockstar has said, "For those asking about digital pre-orders on Xbox Live, the Xbox Games on Demand service does not offer the ability to pre-order games or make them available on launch day. That being said, we will be making GTAV available via games on Demand as soon as it's technically feasible and permitted by Microsoft." 

So, what's up? Is Microsoft waiting on something, because I would really like my digital copy right now...

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

I would say that they are working on the digital version to make sure it works okay, runs fine, etc.

Since it's a two disc game, they have to get around that with the digital copy.

I suggest buying the disc version, as the digital might be slower/more laggy.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ah, seems like a solution. I have to get a digital because my xbox tray is currently broken and there's no point in fixing it, because I'm saving up for the Xbox One.

Sorry this didn't help.

Does MSFT normally release content rated M online? Which would technically be illegal in the state I live in as there is not guarantee the person pressing download is over the age of 18

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes. There is M rated content available in the marketplace. But you have to have your parental controls set to allow you to purchase M rated content and no account under 18 can download free M rated demos or trailers.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi x2K2T MaNiAc, I think unfortunately you may be waiting some time. GTAV was designed for the Xbox 360 to load from both the disc and hard drive (via the 8GB install) at the same time. Users who have installed the 'play' disc to their console hard drive have reported performance issues, this is because the data cannot be read from the hard drive alone fast enough and the game expects extra bandwidth from the disc drive.

Until this issue can be resolved (without copying one 'disc' to a USB device) I would expect that Rockstar would not release a digital version for Xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi I would assume that a digital version is on the way but no idea when. Most games are released on download these days but in most cases they are made available a number of weeks if not months after release. For example injustice, dead pool and star trek all appeared about 6 weeks after the disc based release.

Sorry this didn't help.

The Playstation version has been released as a download, however, it has run in to the same problems in terms of 'pop up' and graphics lagging as the Xbox 360 does when you install both discs. So if possible i would try and get a disc based version when you can.

Sorry this didn't help.

Some digital versions of games have been coming out within a week or two of initial release. My speculation is that the digital Games on Demand version of Grand Theft Auto V will probably hit the Marketplace by the second week of October for sure, or by the last week of September.

I wouldn't worry about missing too much for now. I'm sure there will be miscellaneous patches to work out kinks and glitches between now and then so by the time you get your digital copy... the game should be running more smooth for your initial gameplay than for others. In addition to that, you'd be all up and ready for Grand Theft Auto: Online! :3

Sorry this didn't help.