GTA V Multiplayer Concerns - Lag and Modders

Hey all

I have some concerns regarding the multiplayer for the next installment of GTA. If you haven't played GTA IV recently, there have been a number of instances where a modder, hacker, or whatever you want to call them have been modifying the game. I borrowed the game from my friend as I sold my copy years ago, and wanted to play it before the next one came out. More to the point, I want to know if Rockstar will be keeping an eye on this in the next chapter. Granted, GTA IV has been out for quite some time now and I'm sure Rockstar is paying more attention to their recent releases, but GTA is arguably the company's biggest name. Will they let a handful of players ruin the experience for the rest in the next title?

Next is a less serious topic. My next concern is the map size. If you haven't heard, GTA V is supposed to be the biggest one yet. This is awesome, but when it comes to multiplayer, I want to know how this will work. In GTA IV the map is a reasonable size, and lag occurs every once in a while. With a bigger map and more content, who's to say that this problem won't be more severe? Just imagine that four players are running from the police, while two others are flying helicopters or planes, and a few others are just driving around. All of this on a bigger map with more vehicles, weapons, etc, and while digital civilians are driving cars and whatnot. I'd say lag is an issue that must be considered carefully. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

1) Yes, GTA: Iv has a BIG problem with modders, and both M$ and R* have shown that they won't do anything to stop it. Although it is a big problem in IV, it won't be in V. Why? Have you played Max Payne 3 at all? R* created something called "The Cheater's Pool", where, if you are caught cheating in multiplayer, you will be banned to a server reserved ONLY for cheaters. I predict that this feature will make its way to GTA: V. If it doesn't and we get the same "service" for V regarding modders as we do currently, this may make me rethink R*.

2) Of course lag will be an issue. Lag is always an issue. I don't think R* would attempt to put so much effort into this game if they were concerned about the lag. We can also assume that this is one reason why the release got delayed. Say what you want but lag can be a BIG game killer. I'll use CoD as an example: I was playing CoD MW2 once and the game was severely laggy. It got so bad at one point I was lag kicked out of the game. That's the biggest problem with lag thankfully. the other minor niusances are not being able to get a good shot on a player, being killed because the other player is lagging, getting run over by a vehicle half way down the block, etc, etc. Lag will always be an issue, but we should trust R* will be making it so that our gaming in MP will be enjoyable and with MINIMAL lag.

Just pick up the GTAV port for next gen.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I know, I know, R* has said, with interesting phrasing, that there is "no need" for a next-gen port.

But let's just say I have a feeling that GTAV will be ported to the PS4 and next gen Xbox. In fact, call it more than a feeling...

I will laugh when GTA: V on Xbox [Next] also gets hacked and modders start flooding in. No matter what, they will always find a way, so you can't escape them simply by going to another console. And yes, there won't be one for a next-gen console. R* has already mentioned "we are NOT a third-party company; we make games for the systems that WE want". It has been proven countless times why a next-gen port would be a bad business move:

1) Not everyone will run out and get a new system right away.

2) The PS3 and Xbox 360 still have "life" in them.

3) R* are making one last "hurrah" for this generation of consoles.

4) They recently received the dev kits for next-gen consoles (or was that Sony?)

5) They would lose sales if they put it on next-gen since just about EVERYONE will get it for current-gen.

6) With the Xbox 360 and PS3 still around, it is just not worth it.

"I have a feeling that GTA V will be ported to the PS4 and next gen Xbox. In fact, call it more than a feeling". That made me laugh a lot! Unless you are secretly a developer for R* or a GTA: V game tester, it's best you stop now to keep yourself from looking like a complete fool when NONE of your predictions come true. Also, this "prediction" coming from someone who posts RUMORS of GTA: V. Please stop; I can't breathe!

[quote user="LegendOfGta"]

I will laugh when GTA: V on Xbox [Next] also gets hacked and modders start flooding in. No matter what, they will always find a way, so you can't escape them simply by going to another console. And yes, there won't be one for a next-gen console. R* has already mentioned "we are NOT a third-party company; we make games for the systems that WE want". It has been proven countless times why a next-gen port would be a bad business move:

1) Not everyone will run out and get a new system right away.

2) The PS3 and Xbox 360 still have "life" in them.

3) R* are making one last "hurrah" for this generation of consoles.

4) They recently received the dev kits for next-gen consoles (or was that Sony?)

5) They would lose sales if they put it on next-gen since just about EVERYONE will get it for current-gen.

6) With the Xbox 360 and PS3 still around, it is just not worth it.

"I have a feeling that GTA V will be ported to the PS4 and next gen Xbox. In fact, call it more than a feeling". That made me laugh a lot! Unless you are secretly a developer for R* or a GTA: V game tester, it's best you stop now to keep yourself from looking like a complete fool when NONE of your predictions come true. Also, this "prediction" coming from someone who posts RUMORS of GTA: V. Please stop; I can't breathe!

[/quote]

Overly aggressive, much?

Stranger things have happened. I'm not claiming that GTAV will LAUNCH on next-gen consoles. GTA San Andreas was ported to Xbox over a year after it was released on PS2.

As for my GTAV rumor thread, yes, they are rumors. Let's just wait and see how many of them are accurate.

Am I? I apologize if I came off a bit "rough-around-the-edges". I'm trying to supply facts is all, so myabe I come off as a bit more "forward" than I should.

I highly doubt there will be a version for next-gen. I've supplied so in my latest post.

In the very last paragraph of my post, I'm very suspicious of you claiming "call it more than a feeling". You sound like you work for R* or something. Plus, these rumors are nice and all, but still nothing is set in stone. And I REALLY want to see where you are getting this info from!

[quote user="LegendOfGta"]

Am I? I apologize if I came off a bit "rough-around-the-edges". I'm trying to supply facts is all, so myabe I come off as a bit more "forward" than I should.

I highly doubt there will be a version for next-gen. I've supplied so in my latest post.

In the very last paragraph of my post, I'm very suspicious of you claiming "call it more than a feeling". You sound like you work for R* or something. Plus, these rumors are nice and all, but still nothing is set in stone. And I REALLY want to see where you are getting this info from!

[/quote]

No prob.

I understand your skepticism about a next-gen port and I agree with your reasoning of why it's not likely. I'm still not budging from my position, however.

Again, I can understand your skepticism. I am not now, nor have I ever, worked for R*.

Yes, rumors are not set in stone.

Unfortunately, I will not be revealing my sources. I will say that not all of my sources are private, however. Keep your eyes and ears open.

Well, here's hoping that some of the stuff you mentioned is correct.

EightBall44 if you play any rockstar game you can see problem ( modding,hacking,lag......) in all games,if you have time in a quicky search in Youtube you can see this problems. rockstar are experts in making buggy software, the mod are house brand. you're gaming with a stable and secure execution counsel you forget rockstar products

[quote user="dtejedor"]

rockstar are experts in making buggy software

[/quote]

Wow. Don't let your hate cloud your judgement too much.

Here's the thing; as games get older, their code becomes stagnant and thus easier to crack, this is why games like GTA IV & every Call of Duty up to Modern Warfare 3 is now a playground for hackers and cheats.

This isn't the fault of the developer. I repeat; NOT THE FAULT OF THE DEVELOPER.

In this situation, Rockstar have two choices; either they can focus all of their efforts on making GTA V the best game possible, or they can devote precious time towards trying to salvage a lost cause.

If GTA IV was hacked a month into its release (like Modern Warfare 2 so famously was) then I'd fully expect Rockstar to update and cleanse the affliction, but seeing as GTA IV is barely supported anymore, this isn't a feasible option.

The best we can hope for as gamers is that the next Xbox features upgraded software that makes such a practice untenable.

You're pointing fingers at the wrong people.

The fault does, and always will lie with the instigators, not the developers. 

@iAshHD, I wouldn't bother responding anymore to what this guy, dtejedor, is saying. It's the same old thing everytime. It's either "R* MAKEZ ZE MODZ!" or "R* GAMEZ SUX!". Either way, they are both wrong and I've said what I had to say on the matter. Mods are not made by R* but by "script kiddies" and petty little NLs who have nothing better to do than to take apart the very code of the game to "improve it". Since when did we, the legit players, ever say we wanted our game "improved"? Mods sure do improve the game alright: they improve the game by making us, the legit players and other players who do NOT have mods, suffer.

That's enough ranting about mods for now. I could go on and on and on about it.

To add to your comments, ASH, there is a strong possibility that R* might implement "The Cheater's Pool" feature/system into GTA: V. Simply put, if a modder/cheater is caught cheating/modding, he/she will be placed into a server where nothing but cheaters/modders like him/herself will be present.