GTA IV Freezing on 360 slim, obviously a heat issue?

I purchased a new 4gb 360 slim a few weeks ago and it seems to have an issue with freezing sometimes and it only seems to be during GTA IV though i suspect Mafia 2 will get some freezing too. Ive done some searching and it seems to be and old issue that never really got a "fix" 

I know the game is pretty graphic intensive and notice that after a freeze which to be honest are not all that common, the console will feel really hot, hot enough that i could fry an egg on it. I'm thinking this is obviously the console overheating as the GFX card isn't being cooled well enough. 

I am playing the game from disc which i purchased new with the console. The console is in a well ventilated area 

I have a 320gig HDD on the way and am reluctant to install the game to HDD as i think it will create even more heat inside the console and crashing could become more frequent. 

What id really like to know is what long term damage would this be doing to the console? Do 360 slim's RROD?

Do i have a dud console which should be returned for service or exchange?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

Hey Kroener, I'm sorry to hear about the freezing issue! I'm curious, have you tried working through the steps in this freeze guide, to see if they help?

As for your question about overheating, you said that the console is in a well-ventilated space. Is it standing vertically, or laying horizontally? Is it on wood, or carpet? Also, have you tried blowing/vacuuming the ports on the console, to ensure that there's no dust build-up there? Please let us know! :-)  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Mr Fitzer, I did look through the freeze guide and cleared my cache.

The console is laying horizontally on a wooden surface. I did blow air on the ports etc though nothing came out as the console is brand new..

I did get another freeze when playing SSF4 Arcade Edition last night...

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Kronerer, I must have missed that the console is brand new. If it is brand new and it's already freezing, then I definitely recommend taking it back to the retailer for an exchange, or taking advantage of our official repair policy.

Sorry this didn't help.