Grand Theft Auto IV: "Modder" Issues.

Hi everyone,

I've been having issues in GTAIV for a number of weeks with people using Modified consoles, these issues range from being blown up and having my weapons removed from my player, But in the past week i have been followed by a certain player (who i wont mention) who has the ability to freeze my Xbox 360 console.

I have no trouble with the game in single player, or any other game.

but i left my console to have dinner, and i left myself afk in a multiplayer game, i return to see a frozen screen of the suspected cheater using "mods"  in front of me.
( i was afk for around half an hour)

However, when i restart my console the disk does not read, when i inspect the disk, my once clean perfect conditioned disk has a Big circular scratch/ Laser burn in a perfect circle around the middle of my disk.

The game no longer runs and was in perfect condition before the incident. I assume during my absence my console was frozen and the console was trying to read the disk.

I'm not sure if im entitled for a refund or compensation, but  i feel  wronged and that i shouldn't have to replace it because some cheaters got through the Anti-Cheat system.

GTA:IV is my favourite game and the only reason i have a Gold subscription,  and this will force me to have a serious think on my continued membership to Xbox live.

Im posting to see if there will be any steps taken to prevent this from happening again. maybe an Xbox ambasador should play this game and find which players are breaking the rules like this.

Faithfully

Mctappits 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Hi Mctappits,

I've experienced the modders myself in GTAIV which is amusing at first but destroys the gameplay for those who want the play the game properly.  All I can suggest is you file a complaint against the gamertags you saw modding and set to avoid that player so you will hopefully avoid them in MP in future.

As for the laser burn on the disc you can take the disc into your local game shop who should provide a service to get the disc repaired for you which costs about £2.

Regards

BoA

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi again, I got my disc repaired with my local retailer and the game worked fine, however when i proceeded to jump back into multiplayer. Unfortunatley  after about 9 games (Where 8 of them had other hackers, i might add.) i encountered the same player i had trouble with, he kept killing my charchter using these "Hacks" after the 5th time i placed a vote to kick him, where a mere 10 seconds later my Xbox froze.. It is clear that the enforcement team cant enforce the terms and conditions to these players, and i do not want to risk my disc/console, so i feel the best way to avoid damage to my possesions is to stop playing the multiplayer, because this game is the only game i play multiplayer, I have decided to cancel my gold subscription until this issue is amicably resolved. I dont think its that hard for an employee to play a multiplayer game of this title and see how bad this issue really is. Im not risking my possesions because of your inability to control these players. I also urge any other players having problems with these people to do the same, for all titles. If this issue is not resolved i will be forced to turn to another service..

Regards, Mctappits. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft isn't the organization you should be upset with, Rockstar is.  Each and every one of their games suffers from the same problem with cheaters and they do nothing in the means of a patch to stop it from happening.  I was killed in a "Friendly free roam" (a.k.a. no PvP) with a shotgun from 500+ yards away through a wall surrounding the town and a few walls in a building... so let's say 3 walls with a shotgun from someone facing the opposite direction of me at 500+ yards.  It's obviously a cheater, I reported them.  That's all you can do.  Rockstar just does not care about their customer's experience.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you believe that an Xbox LIVE player has violated the Xbox LIVE Code of Conduct, you can file a complaint against that player. To do so, open the player's profile, select File Complaint, and choose the specific reason for the complaint. You may choose from the following:

• Profile: The player's gamertag, personal picture, or personal information contains inappropriate material.
  • Text and Voice Communications: The player used vulgar, hateful, harassing, or threatening language in voice or text communications.
  • Video Communications: The player was vulgar, hateful, harassing, or threatening in video communications.
  • Tampering: The player tampered with a game, an Xbox 360 console, Xbox LIVE, or the feedback system.

Also, I suggest you visit support.rockstargames.com/home and open a support ticket there and give them as much detail as possible.

Sorry this didn't help.

As above best thing you can do is report or block as follows:

From a game lobby:

• Select the player

• View Profile.

• Select File Complaint.

• Give a reason for filing the complaint: i.e. trash talking or cheating

If cheating, hacking etc. are so prolific with somebody you will not be the only person complaining/blocking. Once enough people do they are usually investigated and banged etc.

Sorry this didn't help.

@visage To be fair rockstar dont have it in their terms and conditions that they will do anything about hackers... Microsoft does. there is no enforcement team at rockstar, there is at Microsoft... Reported players are handled at Microsoft, not rockstar, so after i report a player if they are still *** with my console, its rockstars fault? BS at least if i encounter a hacker on my PC i can take matters into my own hands.. and dont have to rely on an incompetent company..

The enforcement on Xbox is awful, though i heard its pretty good on PSN...

Sorry this didn't help.

Mctappits,

Obviously your system choice is yours to make, but to stick on topic you have been provided with the information regarding how to handle the current situation. The Xbox enforcement team performs a thorough investigation to ensure the offending individual is truly guilty of their actions. In this case, at some point the enforcement team will likely impose a service suspension on the offending player because of inappropriate gameplay or system abuse. As was also mentioned, you can submit feedback to Rockstar so they can try and improve their system as well. However, failure to submit complaints or feedback to Rockstar will not get you any closer to seeing results.

I do understand your frustration due to your gaming experience being ruined but every system is going to have some flaws and you need to do what you can as a gamer to try and help improve the experience.  If you feel the Enforcement Team process is flawed, please submit Feedback in the appropriate Xbox forums so it can be reviewed. We're all here to make the experience better, but constructive criticism and feedback will go a lot further than vulgarities and system bashing. Thank you,

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not sure if ANYONE actually read this post. (Shame on a certain group of people!!!)

I don't think your disk would get a circular scratch from the game freezing up or some hacker. Chances are a pet or an earthquake or some other outside force, which tipped the xbox slightly and caused the scratch to occur. The laser isn't strong enough to cause this damage.

If not mistaken RW ROM's laser write the CD at 1700 degrees Fahrenheit and the disc doesn't get damaged. I think you'll find that MSFT Xbox is not responsible in any way.

Sorry this didn't help.