GOW3 MP: COD/Halo with Shotguns & Snipers ONLY

First, let me say the updated graphics and character animations are outstanding.  The new maps are also amazing, especially the larger ones with lots of open space.  Unfortunately those new maps would be more interesting in games such as Halo and COD due to a problem with GOW3's weapons. <br><br>

At point-blank range you have very powerful shotguns.  If you enjoy rolling around on the ground from cover to cover or just charging forward into close contact with shotties or melee weapons GOW3 is for you. <br><br>

If you enjoy picking up very powerful long range weapons as was done in gaming back in the 90s then GOW3 is definitely for you with its nostalgic game play. Other franchises have evolved over time but GOW3's uber-limited "load out" options are weaker than Halo Reach!<br><br>

For those who enjoy interesting, tactical, mid-range firefights then GOW3 is NOT for you.  <br><br>

The **** rifles are too weak to stop shotgun rushers from closing and too weak to compete with the uber random weapons spread around the map.  The result is multiplayer matches with the depth of a puddle. It's like playing COD or Halo with shotguns and sniper rifles ONLY. <br><br>

Shotgun rushing requires no thought since you can easily close the distance with **** rifles while taking little damage.  If you grab an uber weapon such as the sniper rifle anyone shooting at you from long range is merely telling you were to aim since even the Hammerburst can't compete at medium to long range.  Shooting someone armed with a mortar or sniper rifle is simply tapping them on the shoulder and saying, "Shoot me!" <br><br>

This lack of a solid, competitive, mid-range game and tactical variety is really disappointing since the maps cry out for such firefights.  But, as is, the Lancers and Hammerburst simply do NOT have a role in the game.  Shotgunners can close too easily and uber pick up weapons dominate them at medium to long range. <br><br>

Whether or not you agree with me is not relevant. The proof will be the release of Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3.  Players who enjoy more variety to multiplayer shooters will flock to those games even with their warts (MW's terrible hit detection and EA's terrible servers).  Those who enjoy rolling around on the ground and fighting only at point blank range will stick with GOW3.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

PLEASE do not compare this game to Halo and CoD. If you can't get over the learning curve then by all means go back to those horrible games.

It's reality, deal with it.

How is a cover based third person shooter like Halo and CoD? Yes there are guns and yes you shoot them at people but did you ever think that maybe those players are jumping into this game and trying to make it those games because that is all they know? Just wait, once the new CoD comes out they will all leave.

Halo & CoD = FPS

Gears = TPS

completely different game styles.

If you want to go head to head with people using shotty while using the lancer or hammerburst, i think it's time to utilize the active reload. An active reload with either of those two weapons can be very devastating. This title isn't even in the same class as ANY Halo or COD title. *shakes head*

Sgt C Zim, Gears is not that type of game,  don't compare them. Your analysis of the rifles is wrong. I can stop a shot gun attack easily with a Lancer, Retro or Hammerburst.  Just don't walk around corners or in tight spaces in Gears without a shot gun equipped.  It is called learning how to play the game, the rifles are really well balanced and your have to adjust your play style to use them correctly. Yes Shotgun is powerful, but it can be stopped. Gears is suppose to be a up close and personal experience, not some long range spray and pray game.  Learn your weapon and maps and leave CoD and Halo out of it.

Even if you put halo or cods weapons in this game or vice versa it would be nothing alike.

This thread is stupid.  COD is crap.  Halo has Forge mode, just go build the Gears maps on there.

You can't really compare a game like Gears of War to Halo or Call of Duty.....all three are different all their own. I like all three of those series, and just because you think Halo and CoD are better, doesn't mean that you come to a GEARS OF WAR forum and troll on it. Apparently all you play is FPS so how about you do us all a favor and go back to CoD...you apparently think CoD is better. Your gamerscore tells all about the games you play. -_-

[quote user="Major Luck777"]

You can't really compare a game like Gears of War to Halo or Call of Duty.....all three are different all their own. I like all three of those series, and just because you think Halo and CoD are better, doesn't mean that you come to a GEARS OF WAR forum and troll on it. Apparently all you play is FPS so how about you do us all a favor and go back to CoD...you apparently think CoD is better. Your gamerscore tells all about the games you play. -_-

[/quote]

Lets be nice now fellas. The Sgt. tried to make what he thought was a very logical explaination, its just that he failed horribly at doing it because he was way off.

I hate the Halo series as far as MP goes. I played 3 and just didnt like all the damn hopping around. Now people try and do that in BOs and its freaking annoying(I have adjusted its just irritating seeing people do it)  COD is your run of the mill garden variety shooter. Its very easy to pick up and just go out and kill people. and I know this because my wife plays all the time, and she's not into video games. She wont play Gears, she wouldnt play HF just COD, because its just "real easy"

Gears isnt for everyone. Heck I wasnt even going to buy it because I suck at it. Now Im super excited I did because Im having a blast