Good scifi flying/shooting game to play with 13yr old son?

Hello.

I am hoping someone might be able to help me.

My 13 year olf son has just saved up and bought himself an x-box 360.

I'd like to buy a game to play with him but am out of touch with the spread of games for this device. Ideally the game would not be rated 18+ (15, we could handle).

I'd like to get one where we can both play together (i.e. a controller each) and can fly fast space ships and shoot stuff around some sort of scifi theme

I used to very much enjoy Dooom (yup, I'm that old) and especially Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, which was great for flying and shooting things. I loved Half Life when it first came out too.

Are there any that fit the bill? Being able to play online (Live) would be a bonus but not that necessary. I'm not at all bothered about the game being bang up to date.

Otherwise from looking around I've been attracted the following games, but none seem to fully meet requirements (ie. two player and includes flying fast things)

• Bioshock  (Bioshock 2 maybe?)
  • Defender
  • Lost Planet Extreme Condition Colonies
  • Dead Space
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
  • Halo: Reach
  • Halo 3
  • Portal 2
  • Gears of War 2

Any pointers very much appreciated. Thanks.

PS. Maybe the 360 is no good for flying games, i.e no joystick? I know nothing.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You know nothing Freedbowl6826 Snow.

Every Bioshock is single player only, except 2 which has MP.

Dead Space 3 has co-op, but only the briefest moment of flying. That series in general is also quite mature and unnerving... though very good for those reasons.

Halo and Gears are sci-fi co-op, but with little to no flying. Halo would be my pick minus the flying.

I'm sure there are sci-fi flying-only games though. Project Sylpheed comes to mind, but I don't think it's co-op.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Can't seem to find a decent Co-op SciFi flying for the Xbox 360 anywhere so to tide me over have bought BioShock Infinite and Halo 3. Not too sure I'll let the son play either game though..... :-)

Halo 4 is a great game and it has the added attraction of Spartan Ops too.

If you're looking for a good sci-fi game, the Mass Effect trilogy is my favorite  franchise to come  out of the last generation.  

Mass Effect series is 3 games that should fit.  Enough story it good for 2 people.  Can probably even find an all in one cheaply.

there doesn't seem to be many scifi flying games, or games with split screen co-op...the halo series has some flying, but i wouldn't say they're very fast. maybe check out the battlefield games, they have planes in multiplayer, though they aren't scifi. the last fast scifi game with flying and co-op i can think of coming out was starhawk, but that's a ps3 game that i assume is all but dead...

360 is a grate starting console 4 his age. I can see him with a one in 2016-2017. By then there be more games 4 him to play with or play with friends.

Project Sylpheed is a space flying game on XBOX360, it's a tad niche and I am not sure if it has co-op, but it may interest you anyway...

Halo Reach and Halo 4 have flying space missions if that is any help. My nephews 6 and 7 years old love the halo games and constantly keep borrowing our copies to play.

Whats the name of that side scrolling space shooter? I think its one of the free one too.