Geez, what a letdown

This beta was far from what I expected from this game. I should start with the things they did right. The movement system is so much improved I at times felt as if I was playing another FPS game. The vault mechanic makes moving over cover so much better than previous BF games. And the gunplay is very tight and realistic.<br>But wow, talk about a bunch of hype over nothing. The graphics here are WORSE than they were in BFBC2 and they dont have vehicles in the beta. A game that is known for its draw being big battles and vehicle combat has neither to be found. Sure, they can fix the bugs in the game, like people getting under floors and invisible RPG projectiles, but graphics rarely if ever improve from beta to final product.<br>For all the talk of dethrowning the king of the console FPS, EA/Dice surely did not come out of the gate strong on this one. It is clear that the PC version will not only be the better product, it will be vastly superior to the console version. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I loved it!  Nuff said

Agree about the movements and the controls are much better than previous BF games.  I enjoyed the beta, sure I hope the final game is more polished and different, but I really doubt the final release will be too much different than this beta.  Sure other members and DICE staff have commented otherwise but I just do not have faith...........I will gladly put my foot in my mouth in a few weeks if some miraculous game is presented to us!

[quote user="Yo Def"]

I will gladly put my foot in my mouth in a few weeks if some miraculous game is presented to us!

[/quote]

Ok, big boss, that is just freaky. @yo def, I know it wont change much other than the fixing of the bugs in game. But as for looks, this is likely as good as it is going to get. And I question the logic of a map with no vehicles being chosen for the beta

No vehicles = Worst decision DICE has made with this game thus far. They're just trying to appeal to the Call of Duty crowd... I'll stick with games not sticking so close to the grain in RAGE And Dead Island for now. The Modern Day Shooter is getting VERY old VERY quick.

@matt agreed on most points. The oddest thing about this decision is that it comes during a time where a lot of AAA titles will be releasing. No wonder they chose to release in October where no other big title is releasing. I know im not cancelling my preorder, but unlike any other purchase Ive made before, I will hold onto my receipt for this one.

Textures weren't implemented in this beta. Im sure the graphics will be as smooth as bfbc2.

You guys worry too much. Im almost 100% sure the end product will be both visually pleasing and anti bug.

Ye of such little faith.

@necro, that is what people keep saying. But if that is the case, why does the PC beta look like the final product for PC and the console beta is supposed to "get better looking" for the final product on console? Feels like we are second fiddle. "Meh yea, throw this out there for the consolers so they shut up" No, I dont have faith at this point.

I'm enjoying it immensely.  But that's just my opinion, after all.

I assume having no vehicles in the Beta had a lot to do with attracting casual players to the game, like those that play call of duty.  And from what I've played of BFBC2 and what I've heard from other players, the infantry combat was what needed the most improvement, so maybe that's another reason there are no vehicles.

I agree, I would have liked to have had some kind of vehicle(s), but I can only assume they left them out for a reason.  Being fairly new to this series and not knowing much about it I really don't have any gripes with the Beta.  It's tons of fun.

[quote user="Lady Eh"]

I'm enjoying it immensely.  But that's just my opinion, after all.

I assume having no vehicles in the Beta had a lot to do with attracting casual players to the game, like those that play call of duty.  And from what I've played of BFBC2 and what I've heard from other players, the infantry combat was what needed the most improvement, so maybe that's another reason there are no vehicles.

I agree, I would have liked to have had some kind of vehicle(s), but I can only assume they left them out for a reason.  Being fairly new to this series and not knowing much about it I really don't have any gripes with the Beta.  It's tons of fun.

[/quote]

Sure, it's your opinion, but it says a lot about what you enjoy and what the Beta shows to gamers. Just by looking at your game history, yes you would really enjoy the game in its current state. But, this is not what Battlefield is all about. 

For people who expected a "Battlefield" type of experience, this could literally not have been a worse business move by DICE. My older brother and a few of his buddies who I regularly played with (Over 250 hours total from the demo to the final game) have already deleted the "beta" and will not be purchasing it. It's become an afterthought to actual Battlefield fans who have Call of Duty already and don't want to spend another 60$ on a clone. 

My roommate loves Call of Duty and so do many of my friends, it's a great game in its own right. The gameplay is what people expect and is great for many millions of people. But for me and the hundreds of thousands who love Battlefield? This "beta" could not have been worse. It ruined the game, and no matter how great the final game is, it has been permanently scarred for many of us. It has gained many Call of Duty fans, yes, but it has lost so much more in terms of Battlefield players.