Gears of War Ultimate Edition - can't access campaign at all

I recently installed the digital version of Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (a $60 deluxe copy) a couple of days ago and cannot access the game's campaign at all. Every time I try to start it, it goes as far as the loading screen and loads forever - I've left it on loading for upwards of an hour until my console decided to shut itself off for inactivity. Even though I can access multiplayer, I've also noticed that the textures never fully load until the END of the match, making multiplayer, although playable, not as much fun as it could be - it looks WORSE than the original GoW game (I know this because I played the original through the BC feature of the preview program a few weeks ago).

Things I have tried, but that have not worked:
- hard reboot of the console.
- restart the game.
- reinstall the game.
- delete saves.
- reinstall DLC.
- accessing campaign via different means (joing a friend's game or using the chapter select option, for example)
- moving game and DLC from internal to external and back again.
- asked others on Xbox community forums if they were suffering from similar issues (nobody is it seems).
- asked for help on official Gears of War site (still awaiting response).
- checked network stability.
- checked Xbox Live status.

I'm running out of ideas for how to fix this, much less trying to figure out what may have caused the issue in the 1st place.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Sorry to hear it.  Can you please try the following steps to see if it helps?

1.  Go to Settings

2.  Select Disc & Blu Ray

3.  Select Persistent Storage and Clear it 3 times

4.  Hold the power button on the console for 10 seconds until it shuts down

5.  Unplug all cables from the console and let it sit for 5 minutes.

Hopefully this will help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've cleared the persistent storage 3x as well as performed the hard reset, but was already in the process of reinstalling the game again, so I'll have to wait for that to finish before I can see if it even works. I'll get back to you once I try it out.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I finished the re-install and the campaign STILL doesn't work. :(

It just sids idle on the loading screen right before the capaign is supposed to start - I've also noticed there's no sound either. Is there supposed to be sound there?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey mate,

Yeah it should definately have sound.

Did you do the onyx has provided while the game was still installing? If so, I'd remove the game, preform the steps onyx has suggested, then try and reinstall

Also, are you sure the game is completly installed? Some games will actually let you access the game while it continues to install in the background, and it just withholds the features that its installing while you play.

Is especially strange in that its a digital game. Those things never have any issues, and if they do they usually affect everyone :(

Let us know how you go :)

Cheers

Denaz

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I did as he suggested; still no luck.

Also, I'm certain the game is copletely installed (it doesn't say anything to the effect of "still installing" but it certainly feels like it's incomplete at this point with what's going on. I've already reinstalled it twice though - you'd think that if that were the case, the 2nd install would've completed it.

Sorry this didn't help.

When it installs, it will first go to "Ready to Play", you'll see that its still installing as the blue bar at the bottom of the game tile will not be filled (like a loading bar). That will show you its still installing, plus in the My game and apps queue, it'll still be installing as well. Thats just a few places to check :)

Either way, it should have gone through by now, as its not a MASSIVE game, so should take forever to install.

I may have to leave this for one of the support crew, as you've done all the basic troubleshooting steps (short of a factory reset, which I always hesitate to suggest), and I can't see why it still wouldn't be working.

Sorry that I couldn't help furher!

Sorry this didn't help.