Gears of War 3 Won't Play on My System Anymore

I have a 2007 Pro.  Recently, my copy of Gears of War 3 stopped working.  I have used my copy on other people's slims and it works, but their copy of Gears 3 does not work on my Xbox.  I was able to play it for almost two weeks before it suddenly stopped working.  Now, when I put the game in, it gets about 7-10 seconds into the developer/publisher screens before it freezes.  When I try to reinstall to the drive after deleting the file, I get the following:  Can't read this disc.  It may be scratched or dirty.  Clean the disc with a soft cloth and try again.  I did try cleaning the disc, but that did not help.  Currently, everything else works great on the system, no problems or even the beginnings of one.  I regularly play Space Marine, which is even in the same XGD3 format as Gears 3 if I am correct.  I have also tried starting the game under different profiles and no profiles, but that did not work.  Any help to get this game working would be very much appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Also I am not the only one having this particular problem at this particular time.  In addition to the general sea of updates that come through, this is another reason I have a hard time thinking it is the drive going bad.  As far as calling hardware support, that was a very uncomfortable experience and I have no desire to repeat it.

forums.xbox.com/.../99627.aspx

forums.xbox.com/.../89015.aspx

forums.xbox.com/.../454693.aspx

forums.xbox.com/.../457588.aspx

forums.xbox.com/.../430345.aspx

forums.xbox.com/.../106407.aspx

forums.xbox.com/.../106083.aspx  (Maybe...this doesn't sound quite spot on.)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Again, the weird thing is that all my other games, even really new ones in the new disc format, work on my current system.  What I haven't been able to try is my copy (or friend's) in systems older than the slims.

Sorry this didn't help.

Honestly, your console seems to be the issue here to me. I would see about getting it repaired or replaced, especially if all the discs work in other consoles. You can call about a repair order (support.xbox.com/contact-us).

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, my solution is inconsistent at best.  It still will occasionally freeze on the loading screen hitting buttons, and so far has inevitable froze during my private games.  Wondering if maybe this is some controller issue, so I have switched over to my fancy, silver controller with the adjustable d-pad.  Still wouldn't explain why I can't install I don't think.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I might have found a somewhat inelegant solution, and hardly satisfying, but I can get the game to go to menus if I spaz out on the A button while it is going through it's first screens.  I have gotten to the menu screen about 7 tyimes, and in between those I made sure not to hit anything and the system would consistently freeze.  In other words I tried to vary it up to make sure it just wasn't having one good, healthy run.  Still I want to reinstall the game, and would rather not live in fear of it not working.   I will play some to see if it freezes elsewhere.  Any help appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.