Gears of War 3 Rank Reset 4-6-13

Hello!

I was recently playing GoW3 and I got reset from Green lvl 69 to lvl 11.

I don't understand how it happened or if their is a solution. I don't have a back up save file so if that is a helpful solution then i'm outta luck.

Also even though i have achievements that unlock certain gun camos they remain locked.

A response would be greatly appreciated.

Gamertag: Monkey D Steve

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Monkey D Steve;

What has happened to you is a common problem that is known to both Epic and Microsoft.  Neither entity will do anything to help get your rank back, so don't bother wasting your time contacting them.  Unfortunately, the bottom line is that aside from backing up your player data file (to the cloud or external flash drive) there is no way to recover your data and some of the medals will be permanently locked.  Your choices now are to start ranking up from level 11 all over again or move on to another game.  If you choose the former, be sure to back up your data.

If you search the Gears 3 threads, you will find countless topics that deal with this issue.

Sorry for your loss.

-M

Pretty much what Iceman said. If you really feel strongly about it, which I do, you can file a complaint against EGI through the BBB for not officially employing a method that attempts to retrieve hard-earned player data in the case of an accident. I have done this and I STILL haven't received a response from the company in over TWO WEEKS. As the saying goes, "Silence speaks volumes." I'm pretty sure I won't get a response, which is fine. It'll just prove that Epic is at fault with regards to rank resets. Good luck, my friend. You're not at fault and you're not alone.

Sorry for your reset,I know how you feel it happened to myself more than a year ago and unfortunately,Epic does not offer any help or solution other than to ignore us and dodge the issue repeatedly.They did it in 2,was more prevalent in 3 but with same results,nothing done at all.The main problem is not really the reset,although that sucks terribly but,afterwards the game will keep you locked out of completion even after you do what is required.Calling Epic is useless,if you do they will put you on a recorded message saying "We do not give out technical help for our games.."If you try and bring it up in the Epic forums,they will close the thread and ban you,,,like back in Nazi Germany with the censorship,you do not have freedom of speech on Epics sight,only if you are a fanboy that is also running away from the real issues and trying to keep problems and complaints hidden and buried.Probably why the new game is failing miserably is there is no customer support for problems only support for those with money in the hand to buy another glitch and problem filled game,which they will inevitably run away from any problems or issues again.Iceman is absolutely right,complaining which is what I have done all to much in the past is futile.Only way to make them hear you is only giving them the sound of your wallet closing and going back in to your pocket for a more reliable and help filled game instead of the mess they have ran away from in the last few games.

PUGDOGZ brought up a valid point that I forgot to include in my complaint to the BBB. After a reset, there are unlocks that cannot be re-achieved after a reset, should someone decide to re-earn progress. This, too, in absolutely unacceptable because players are no longer able to complete the game due to an issue that did not receive an official prevention method. Such carelessness epitomizes incompetence on the developer's part. I used to wonder what a next-gen Gears game would look like, but I hope that a next-gen Gears game doesn't come to fruition because, as we have already seen, experience-breaking problems continue to carry over with no proper acknowledgement and resolution.

Thanks guys for the input. I really appreciate feedback. It definitely sucks having invested so much time just to have it all slip away and then having certain items forever locked. But like you guys said im not alone and they are not going to  do anything which is pretty depressing.

Well anyways THANK YOU guys all for the feedback  

I have to go on the conclusion that Epic Games is at fault with regards to player-data resets. The company has not replied to my complaint that I filed through the BBB over two weeks ago, which is nearly an infinite amount of time to respond to a complaint. Believe it or not, but I distinctly remember an Epic rep "suggest that [said dissatisfied customer] investigate Cloud Storage - Xbox Live Saved Games." Sounds peculiar, doesn't it? If you're going to officially suggest that a player investigate backing-up through the Cloud, on a bureau's official website, why not make that suggestion known publicly through the in-game menu where all players have the opportunity to prepare against data loss? Hmm. Definitely fishy. Looks like the company is aware that the back-up method is legitimate but doesn't want to publicly endorse it because that would instill fear into its player-base, fear that data could be instantly lost if a back-up isn't made - a back-up that most Xbox 360 owners have never had to make.

AwX;

The BBB (Better Business Bureau) is in the business of selling ratings and arbitration.  I know this because I run a small business with my family and we have gotten a couple of customer complaints through them.  They sent us a letter about the complaint and that they would "accredit us" and resolve disputes if we join their stupid little club, but we would have to pay thousands of dollars per year.  If we do join, we have to agree to their "business standards" and give them the power of arbitration for customer disputes.  That means that if we have people complaining to them, the BBB gets to decide who pays who and who gets what (instead of a judge or someone with actual authority).  As a business owner, why the hell would I ever agree to that?  Just to post their logo on my website and feel good about myself?  No intelligent business owner would hand over that kind of sovereignty to a third-party company.

Also, let's say that I do join, a bunch of customers complain and lower my score to a "C+".  Guess what?  All I have to do is pay them a little extra per month and BAM, I'm an "A+" business again!  You don't believe me?  Read this: abcnews.go.com/.../story

Some companies even go so far to call it a scam.  While I won't go that far, I do understand their business model even though most consumers such as yourself do not.

As far as Epic goes, they have no real recourse through the BBB most likely because they are not a member.  Do you know what I did with those complaint letters I got from the BBB?  I literally used them as tissue paper and threw them in the trash.  I run a good business and we don't make a practice out of cheating customers.  We wouldn't be in business if we did!  But every now and then you get some disgruntled people for whatever reason.  We try to appease them when we can, but we have to draw the line somewhere.  We can't let a few angry people walk all over us.  If these people don't like what we offer or our dispute resolutions, they can go to our competitors; they deserve each other.

Like I said before, Epic has a working product and not everyone that played got their rank reset.  Even if you did get your rank reset, you can still play the actual game on and offline.  Sure, you can't earn some medals or achievements, but that is a very arbitrary part of the game that reflects someone's personal goals, not an essential function of the game itself.  

If anything, I would fault Epic for putting in a ranking and medal system in the first place.  Think about it: in Gears 1, there was no ranking system and everybody loved the game and played the hell out of it.  Gears 2 and 3 had a ranking system and that was one of the major gripes about those games when the ranks went haywire.  Epic should get rid of all ranking and medal systems from every one of their Gears games and future Gears games.  That would nullify any issues people have with their faulty ranking system.  Let's face it, they can't seem to implement a ranking system without *** it up, so maybe they should drop it altogether.  If I were you, I’d channel my energy into getting people to sign a petition to prevent a ranking/medal system for upcoming Gears games.  If you do that, I’ll be the first person to sign it and I think it will carry more weight in communicating what their customers want instead of wasting your time with the BBB.  After all, what is done is done, but what they do tomorrow can be influenced.

-M

1. There is no other way to file an official complaint against EGI other than through the BBB. I am aware of what the BBB is, but it's the very best I can do. Please let me know if there is another, more appropriate, organization to which I can complain.  

2. It doesn't matter if the majority of players hasn't experienced resets. That line of thinking automatically disregards any, and all, problems faced by the minority. What you're saying is, "Just because the minority has experienced a ground-breaking problem doesn't mean that the problem is a big deal or worthy of being solved." To think that dismisses principle. To think that exemplifies ignorance. A problem faced by the majority is just as valid and important as a problem faced by the minority.  There are nearly seven billion people in the world. Approximately 25,000 people die a day from hunger or hunger-related causes. Wow. Those 25,000 people are in the minority, but hey, their deaths don't matter because the majority of the population isn't dying of starvation. Who cares, right? Wrong.

3. I paid $60 for a "working" product. If I cannot complete the game by acquiring achievements or Onyx'ing medals, I did not pay for a fully-working product. A $60 Xbox 360 video game is supposed to be fully-operational, not partly operational. If it were partly operational, I would have paid less than $60. That is basic logic. In other words, if I cannot complete the game, then I am being ripped off. It is not arbitrary. It is not just a personal goal. It is, yet again, about principle. You claim you're a businessman, so I'm not sure why you, of all people, have trouble understanding that.

4. Having a ranking system is, ultimately, irrelevant. Ranking systems exist only as incentives. I do not mind ranking systems. I understand why developers implement them. They make sense.

5. You clearly imply that the minority doesn't matter, so why bother with a petition? EGI wouldn't care, right? We're in the minority.