Gaming and relationships v2

So, with the new(ish) forum layout comes a new start and no posts; this one's from the old forums which I started, and it seemed to be a success. So...

In your relationship, where do video games stand?
Does your S.O. play along with you and enjoy the co-op sector in a game? Or are you both more competitive and like to play against each other?
Or do they rather enjoy watching you play, if they don't play video games themselves?
OR have you had any bad luck with your S.O. and gaming? Considering many couples do seem to have that problem, which is unfortunate IMO.

You get the idea.

Myself; I very much enjoy playing the co-op side of video games with my boyfriend; when he stays over, we always order a takeaway, put out feet up and usually play some form of video game together, which, at the moment is Portal 2. I also actually enjoy watching him play, and even sometimes I give him hints on games I've finished. However, on the flipside, we can also be rather competitive when we are pitted against each other and play split-screen against each other.
I do think that, in a way, playing games together has brought me and my boyfriend together; through communication with each other on co-op, and through the banter we share when we are playing against each other. In short, gaming in my relationship is a big yes. 

Feel free to post your little stories on gaming and your partners, too. :-)

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 11 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

lol I thought this was another idea based on mines but anyway...

Before I place my answer here, may I ask what does S.O. stands for?

The only game my girlfriend likes is Angry Birds. She is accepting of the time I spend playing them. But that's mostly because she works nights and I work days. So most of the time I spend gaming is while she is at work. But if there's a game I'm super hyped about, she understands and gives me time and space to do what I enjoy. In fact, she claims to be planning a going away party for me on November 10th.

[quote user="CrazyMvM94"]

what does S.O. stands for?

[/quote]Significant other. Don't worry chief. You'll find someone special some day. Not here on the forums, though.

The games my wifey likes are few and far between. Puzzle Fighter is the ONLY Xbox (retail, Arcade, indie) that she plays, and that's cause we played the heck out of it on the PS1. We still have our PS1 disc btw. We get very competitive with each other when we play vs. together. Her list is extremely short, and pretty standard 'girlie gamer' fare:

Tetris,

Solitare,

Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo (HD),

Illusion of Gaia,

Bust a Groove.

Fairyland (on FB)

But believe me, she is hardcore on all of them.

Ga... Gaming Love...?? :$ ;( </3

[quote user="HayleeLOL"]

In your relationship, where do video games stand?
Does your S.O. play along with you and enjoy the co-op sector in a game? Or are you both more competitive and like to play against each other?
Or do they rather enjoy watching you play, if they don't play video games themselves?
OR have you had any bad luck with your S.O. and gaming? Considering many couples do seem to have that problem, which is unfortunate IMO.

You get the idea.

[/quote]

I don't multiplay, so my wife and I haven't really done much in the way of playing together.  We've ran around together in Fable III for a bit, mainly me helping her out in exchange for me gaining money and experience, as I recall, and we played a few things together on Wii like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but generally we play games alone.  We don't normally watch each other play, either, and usually the games that interest one of us don't interest the other, with but few exceptions.  She does like Fable, though, and I do as well.

I'm Only 14 and have no desire for a relationship yet, but I'm already planing on:

Finding someone with a tolerance or an interest in gaming, I don't want to have to give up gaming or have it cause troubles in our reIationship, i mean really, I'm not going to give up a hobby I've loved since I was 6 very easily!

My girlfriend used to hate me playing games. But one day she watched me play Assassins Creed and she got quite interested. Now she as her own xbox and all the Creeds. She likes some co-op games aslong as they are not FPS or online. 

Aslong as she can watch her soaps and we still spend time doing stuff over then playing games (e.g out for meals, watching movies and days out) she understands that games are a keen interest to me. And lets me get on with it. I also have a 3 year old son, so I only get the evenings to game now a days.

Normally if I buy a game I'm hyped about, she treats her self to a girls night out to leave me to play it. The only thing we argue over now is the F1.

my girlfriend has her own account on her brothers xbox, i dont think she plays much, however at the right time i think ill end up playing some games with her.

If my other half showed any interest in my gaming equipment, other than polishing, Alarm Bells would start ringing for me lol