GameStop is getting really bad with prices.

I just checked their price for Just Cause 2 because its 10.00 on the marketplace this week. They have it listed online at 19.99 new but is out of stock. If you look below that though, their preowned price is 34.99. I looked up a few other games such as The Orange Box and they are using the same exact practices even though I bought that game a few years ago for 9.99. You can also bet that they will give you a hefty trade in value of 3.00 for these so called 35.00 games as well. While it is very well known that their practices are shady, this one takes the cake. Refusing to stock new copies of older games while drastically jacking up the preowned price at 15.00 above MSRP.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="ManicRaider"]

GameStop is only good for: Pre-orders, Pre-order goodies and cheap used games (sometimes). That's it. Do not buy any new games from them and do not get suckered into their Rewards Program unless you (A) Like Game Informer magazine and (B) You buy a LOT of used games.

[/quote]

You know it's just for used games, it's for anything in the store new or used. You can use the points you earn to get 5,10 or 25 dollar coupons off a new game. Thanks to the program I was able to play judgment early. If any one had any common sense you don;t trade in your games to get some used game or even a new game. BUT you should trade them in when they have a 30% extra credit towards said new game. And with being a rewards member you get 40%, That's the only time you should trade in your games.

[quote user="Murderstyle75"]Sorry Kauz but everything I buy is an investment. [/quote]No need to apologise to me. I'm not the one who thinks Video Games are an "investment".

[quote user="Murderstyle75"]Buying video games now days is nothing more than buying expensive toilet paper.[/quote]Curious and just asking but do you go to Forums for toilet paper and complain on those as well about the "expense"?

[quote user="Murderstyle75"]You pay a lot if money for it and once used, its not worth the brown stuff its wiping.[/quote]If you truly believe $20-$60 is a "lot of money", heaven help this economy and generation. Me personally, I simply let old Video Games become exactly that, old Video Games.

[quote user="Murderstyle75"]Here is the one thing about luxurious things. They tend to have and hold value.[/quote]Gamestop Disagrees with this.

It is like Gamestop selling used copies of Marvel Ultimate Alliance one and 2 for like 30 bucks each. Left 4 Dead 2 USED is 35.00.

Honestly, i havent bought anything from Gamestop (besides a hliday console a few months ago) in over 2 years.

What do you mean getting bad? They've been bad for quite some time. Sometimes they have decent deals but most of the time its better to shop at Amazon

I don't know. I'm always getting things there very cheap. I got Persona 4 Arena there new for $20. I got something there the other day for $15 that is $26 everywhere else. I guess you just have to check prices out every now and then to find deals.

Smart shoppers shop around. I check other places first, like target, walmart, kmart, ect. General retail stores will have lots of sales and clearance prices. Anyone paying more than 5 bucks or so for Orange Box deserves to be ripped off.

[quote user="Murderstyle75"]

Because two years is so old. Huh? It's unfortunate that we have reached an age where a games quality is measured based on how new it is. Games shouldn't drop in price that fast and they never used to. And you are wrong about trading towards a system. I just traded towards store credit and bought the console in a seperate transaction. It was during the more you trade, the more you get promotion. Trade in your games in under 8 months? Pathetic. You are the exact kind of consumer who has the industry so screwed.

[/quote]

No you're wrong. there is no 40% towards trading in towards a system. So lets see you think I should keep a game like NFS Hot Pursuit?? the game is virtually dead online. And yeah 2 years is OLD, considering all the other games that have come out by then yeah it is. I fail to see how trading in 5 games a year has screwed the industry, that's also rich coming from some one who just dropped 16 games. Why even buy a xbox 360 for? All you do is bash on the system pretty much any time you post. If Ps3 is so much better then gtfo and go play that.

And Gamestop doesn't deal in luxuries. They deal in commodities that were at one time luxuries. You really need to learn the difference. And old games should just be old games? And again. That's a commodity. There is no reason my 60.00 video game should see price drops down to 20.00. This is not luxury. This is a poor school boys hobby with no understanding of the value of things. Believe it or not, Kauz. My whole stance on this is to actually preserve the luxury. One doesn't visit the Salvation Army to purchase valuable things and that is what gaming has become on a massive corporate level. There is not a single other market that operates like this.

If you don't like their prices, don't shop there. If you don't like their trade in offers, don't trade there. Easy peasy.

Sam Adams Utopias isn't a necessity either but it does cost $198.00 more than a bottle of Budweiser. And look at vehicles for a second. They come in multiple packages such as Standard, Sport and what I have which is called Luxury Touring which includes advanced multimedia, heated seats, fromt and back A/C All Wheel Drive, etc, etc, etc. You really need to learn the difference between luxury and commodity. Luxury products are branded and carefully marketed to achieve maximum profit margins. A commodity is a good or service whose wide availability typically leads to smaller profit margins and diminishes the importance of factors other than price. It is subject to ready exchange or exploitation within a market such as the used game industry.