Games With Gold: Hardly anything will download properly.

Sorry if this issue has already been discussed elsewhere but this is really starting to annoy me now.

The majority of the games that have been made available to me for free via Games with Gold refuse to download properly. The download gets to ~85% before disappearing from my active downloads for no apparent reason. The file then appears on my hard drive as "Unknown Game", taking up the same amount of space the game would have sans 2 or 3 megabytes. I first noticed this issue while attempting to download Bioshock Infinite, but I didn't really care since I didn't want that game much at the time. Since then, I have experienced this error with every single game that has been offered to me by GWG (Just Cause 2, Gears of War 3, and now Metro 2033 to name but a few) with the exception of Thief and Plants VS Zombies. I essentially have better chances playing russian roulette than I do at downloading a functioning game from GWG. Since I first encountered this problem I have downloaded numerous DLCs and games in excess of 50 GB from the xbox marketplace, and I still have roughly 180 GB of storage left, so the problem clearly lies with GWG and not my internet speed or memory. Just a few days ago I bought Dark Souls and 4 DLCs for Mass Effect 2 and 3 (those aren't small) with no issue whatsoever, and yet today my xbox is failing to download the 5 GB Metro 2033. Whaaa?

I only buy 1 or 2 big titles a year, so I rely on GWG to tide me over in between. However, I feel like I'm getting shortchanged for my XBL subscription due to the fact that GWG only works 10% of the time. I'm also missing out on some really great titles that I'd like to play. I know that I still "own" the games since I technically "purchased" them, but that's worth nothing to me if there is literally no possible way for me to get them onto my console.

I have tried clearing my cache multiple times, to no avail, and no amount of re-downloading fixes the problem (Just Cause 2, for example, still wouldn't download after the 10th attempt). I can't think of any obvious cause for this problem and nothing I do seems to fix it. To reiterate, I feel pretty ripped off.

Thanks in advance and I hope we can find a speedy resolution to this irritating problem of mine.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

On a separate but possibly related note, the Xbox website seems to think I'm in France (I am located in the UK). What's up with that?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Are you doing anything else at all on the console while they are downloading? I have this problem too if I try to do anything - but if I just leave the console idle (disable auto-off) they work.

My problem seems to stem from having an external USB hard drive attached to it with installed games on it. Disc games don't seem to cause the download to stop and fail to resume - but any game or app that's installed on that 1 TB USB will cause the download to fail at some point if I try to use them while simultaneously downloading.

Sorry this didn't help.

@gritty pleasee check your account region at commerce.microsoft.com

It its not uk and you are using a french account that would bbe why

The region error doesnt usually show up om the website but will still occur onnthe console as failed downloadz

Those gsmes gears metro and just cause are region locked

And v10 advivs should help

Dont do anything ekse wihile downloading

Sorry this didn't help.

For the best option is use the console as it usually goes to the right marketplace

Unless you dont have the right account region

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this as well if I start a game it will pop up "Can't download"

Sorry this didn't help.