Games with Gold Change?

In the past whenever a Xbox 360 or Original Xbox game were in the Games with Gold program you actually owned them. Today however when I downloaded Armed & Dangerous for the Original Xbox I notice that it shows that I can still buy it vs. I own it. This would be like how the Xbox One Games with Gold works instead of how it used to work for back compat games. Example, MX Unleashed (Original Xbox) was a recent Games with Gold game. If I look at that game in the store it shows I own it with no option to buy it. Did Microsoft announce this change to the program? It is probably not a huge deal technically since I plan to keep my subscription to Gold but it is would be a change and that is why I am curious. Anyone else notice this?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

There's been no announced changes to the program. It should work as it always has. They've made some changes to the store recently though so that could be the reason it shows that as an option.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

In this case it is different. If there were no change then I would expect that MX Unleashed would show in the store the same way, but it does not. It shows that I own MX Unleashed but Armed & Dangerous shows that I only have it so long as I have Gold. If Gold lapses, I cannot play Armed and Dangerous anymore but I could play MX Unleashed because I own it (due to it being in Games with Gold previously). This was a recent change too because Red Faction Guerilla which was just last month's Games with Gold shows the same as MX Unleashed. I own it. But again, not so with Armed & Dangerous. I am just too OCD I guess that I notice this stuff.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In case what I was saying wasn't making sense, this is pulled from the FAQ. It does not really mention Original Xbox games. They had been following the Xbox 360 games pattern of yours to keep. With this month's game Armed & Dangerous it has switched over the the Xbox One pattern. You can play it as long as you have Gold.

On Xbox One, you’ll no longer be able to access your Games with Gold titles if you cancel your subscription. However, if you decide to renew your subscription at any time, you’ll be able to access and play your previously redeemed Games with Gold titles again.

On Xbox 360, any Games with Gold titles that you redeem as an Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass Ultimate member are yours to keep, regardless of whether you continue your subscription.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No idea what's going on because if you download Armed & Dangerous via a xbox 360 then you don't need gold to play it but you do if you download it via a xbox one.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the explanation above. Is the section you found in FAQ recent? For years, I’ve been building up my collection of games with gold knowing I could access them at any time no matter what. Now they make a change that I have to be an active gold member to access games I thought I previously owned? This seems like a really big deal to me! Especially tobpeople that have been gold members for 13+ years. 

Did Microsoft make an annoucment about the change or have I just been misunderstanding games woth gold this whole time?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

With regard to the Xbox One games, that is always how it has been since the Xbox One launched. Games with Gold started on the Xbox 360 and back then they gave you the game outright with no strings but with the transition to Xbox One they made it so that the XBox One game was/is yours so long as you subscribe to Gold. If you unsubscribe then you would still have them on your HDD but you would not be able to play them. If you ever subscribe again they would be playable again. This is why if you go on your Xbox One and look at your "Owned" games they will not be counted there. This is also why they break out the Gold games in its own section.

360 and Original Xbox used to be yours to own but I noticed that when I added Armed & Dangerous it shows up as the only Back Compat that now shows under the Gold section instead of me owning it outright. So something has changed recently. The whole Xbox One games thing has been that way since Xbox One came out. I hope that makes sense.

I mean, it is hard to be too upset with the program. You used to only get 2 games a month when on 360. Now you get 4 games and they probably didn't have to keep giving us 360 games. Curious what they will do with Games with Gold when Series X comes out.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I defiantly realized something was different with this game when I saw the GOLD icon on its thumbnail. After some poking around I have also discovered if you look at Armed and Dangerous listed on an Xbox 360 it is NOT listed as being playable on the Xbox One.  It did let me download the game just fine on the 360, just as it had on the Xbox One (since it is a Games with Gold and I am a Ultimate member), but after doing so it does NOT say Xbox One below the game listing (as other backwards compatible games do) and when pressing X to view the game details it also does NOT have Xbox One Compatible listed as it should.

I am speculating this is some sort of game tagging error on Microsoft's part. It seems I am always finding games incorrectly tagged on my Xbox One game lists (ex: filtered as Xbox One games when they are actually Xbox 360 games, or duplicate games or duplicates with one tagged as X enhanced while another listing of the same game is tagged as not X enhanced, etc...). My guess is they have Armed and Dangerous labeled or tagged incorrectly somewhere. Possibly just not having it listed as a game playable on the Xbox One in the 360 info base and that is somehow making the Xbox One data base....not see it an Xbox Original game and therefore tagging it as a license revocable game like the Xbox One games are.

This may be a simple mistake or it may be a way that they have found to make the Xbox Originals Games With Gold games so they can take them away. It really seems too late in the game to be making that type of change on purpose. I also fear if it is a simple mistake....if it isn't corrected before its time in Games with Gold is up.....will it be able to be fixed or are we all losing this "keeper".

I don't know how to report something that may be a multi-generational error, but I guess reporting that its info is listed incorrectly on the 360 would be a start. Someone / Some Ambassador should get on that. It should defiantly be listed as being playable on Xbox One on the 360. The harder part may be figuring out how this mistake is making it be treated differently on the Xbox One.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I have an update on my situation:

As I said earlier, I downloaded Armed and Dangerous on my 360. After doing that and seeing it was mislabeled as  not an Xbox One compatible game, I turned off my 360 and turned my Xbox One back one. It had been completely turned of (not just in the "instant on" off state). So when it comes back on there are a few games listed on my main screen and then after getting settled the GOLD and GAME PASS icons show up on them.....EXCEPT Armed and Dangerous. I go to my game list and it no longer has the GOLD icon on it. I go in my ALL OWNED GAMES section and there it is. When I go into the gold section of my library it has OWNED listed on Armed and Dangerous. So it seems either me downloading it to my 360 or the fresh start of the Xbox One did something....HOWEVER...if I look at the games info it still has the "You can play Armed and Dangerous with your Xbox Live Gold, or buy it to own." message as if I do not own it?!?

So now I am even more confused as most places on the Xbox One dash shows that I own the game... yet when I view the game's details on the store, both on the Xbox One or PC, it says I do not own it.

I do have a question....Armed and Dangerous IS showing in my Full Library Games with Gold section (as I said with its thumbnail marked as owned), but I see there are no other Xbox Originals or 360 games listed in that section. Are the 360 or Xbox Originals usually listed in that section? Is Armed and Dangerous only showing in that section because it is currently one of the Games with Gold games? I just can't remember if it is normal for the current 360 or Xbox Originals games to be listed in there or not....and them possibly disappear from there after their time is up.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too noticed this new behavior and it is definitely new behavior for all of the games with gold.  I have a massive library of games since I have been "buying" them since they started games with gold and as you pointed out we can no longer "buy" them and they work like gamepass games.  This was always a major bragging point for the Xbox but now they are treating the games the way Sony does with their free games.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Maybe check if your console is 

up to date.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 23, 2023 Views 823 Applies to: