Games That Should Be Cel-Shaded

What game should be cel-shaded or maybe would have been better off if they were? A lot of people are against this type of art style because they feel a cartoon look changes the gameplay somehow. But it works with a lot of games and genres. One game that would be cool imo to see cel-shaded would be Batman: Arkham Asylum. Rewind when before the game came out, I think it would compliment the game's theme as a comic book franchise and the animated series. Maybe not more so than what the game turned out to be, but again, I think it would work as well. What are some games that you think would work well cel-shaded?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Cel Shading is really becoming a forgotten technique.  The last game I can remember using it was Borderlands.  

I think The Darkness 2 is gonna be cel shaded. I really like the look of it when they do. Although Crackdown 2 wasn't that hot. I'd love a car game to be cel shaded, like Burnout Paradise.

Tbh , I'd like to see another cell shaded Prince of Persia -  (I really liked the art style from the one they did),  and also another Jet Set Radio. Maybe Fable and Darksiders also.

I think fantasy games fit the cell-shaded look well.

Every cel-shaded game I've played on 360 has run pretty smoothly.

I would like a fantasy medieval RPG to be cel-shaded or a open world game about zombies.

No game should be cel shaded. Ever.  I M O

I dont like the look of cell shading at all. Doesnt appeal to me. It feels like a lazy way for developers t odo gprahics. If they dont want to put time to make a detailed environment or characters they cell shade. . looks aweful.

[quote user="Law212"]

I dont like the look of cell shading at all. Doesnt appeal to me. It feels like a lazy way for developers to do graphics. If they dont want to put time to make a detailed environment or characters they cell shade. . looks aweful.

[/quote]I agree completely.

I'm a little on the fence with Cell-Shaded games and they've always been hit or miss with me. Some I've loved, while others I deplore. I think it comes to the Game itself. It would be unfair to state any Game can or could not be Cell-Shaded.

In the past I've found Games that have it's "roots" (so to speak) in either Anime or Comic Book translate well into Cell-Shading. If a Dev simply uses it as a "hook" to get attention, then there is usually a problem with it to begin with. There a few a Games that had no prior "lore" or History that worked well in Cell-Shading. The ones I can think of off hand would Borderlands and JSR. Just me but I thought the Cell "version" of PoP was pretty lame and was one of those Games that should have never been made that way to begin with. That was a clear example of the devs using it as a "hook" because the basic Game was poorly written in the first place and they were just trying to go a "new way".