Games should retail at sale price on day 1

I mean Mass effect 3 is only 3 weeks old and its gone down to £24 already! thats almost half the retail price in just 3 weeks, i bought Mass effect day 1 for full price and have not actually got round to playing it yet so now i just feel ripped off big time (yes i am an idiot)

If they can afford to sell games at that price and still make profit then why not sell at that price in the first place, i realise obviously they want to make as much money as they can but selling it cheaper would get much more straight sales.

And game developers wonder why so many people buy pre-owned, its not because we don't want to support the developers, the price for new games is just too much especially when there are loads of new games all coming out, i mean £40 for a game that most likely will last about 8 hours is quite a big deal.

If retailers sold new games a little cheaper then they would make more sales and earn game devs more money, instead of people picking it up 2nd hand or just renting it which then makes devs do stupid things like pass codes.

And yeah i know people just say well if they sold it at a cheaper price day 1 then people would still moan saying make it even cheaper now this price is too much, because lets face it we all want to get games as cheap as possible, but i honestly think if they started sellings games at £10 or £15 cheaper then sales would go up and the 2nd hand market would not be as big an issue.

I know this is a subject thats brought up a lot and will not change but just wanted to share my thoughts

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Maybe it's still worth being $60 day one.  Make some money on pre-orders from people not so patient.

When games are released, all retailers will generally sell it for suggested retail price (generally $60). Really, there is no reason not to, as customers who are in the market to buy the game at release will generally pay this price.

Now as far as the sales go, I think you misunderstand the retail aspect. It is not so much that the developer's force retailers to make the game go on sale, but rather retailers may choose to put the game on sale in order to drive business away from other retailers from the same product. This doesn't mean that these retailers start paying less for each copy of the game from the distributers, but rather risking slight losses to drive more customer traffic.

This doesn't apply just to video games, but to all sorts of goods and services. It's business. As long as it works, they will keep doing it.

The most important thing to keep in mind though is that video gaming is a hobby, not a necessity. As much as I love gaming, I don't carry any misconceptions that I am entitled to entertainment simply because I want it for less.

I feel your pain, but at the same time if they can make an extra $40 per copy day one why wouldn't they?

-

A recent example of this happening to me though, was I bought Resident Evil: ORC day one, but today I see it reduced by 25%. Pretty annoying, but Ninja Gaiden 3 was reduced as well so ended up saving money on that one as I nearly bought it at the same time as ORC.

If it's a sale then it's only a temporary way of boosting sales. If it's a price reduction then that's different, the game is tanking and no one wants to buy it. There's a big difference.

Well that's to be expected with what they pulled. There was so many people wanting their money back that Origin and Amazon started refunding peoples copies.

[quote user="WhiTeYxM"]

I mean Mass effect 3 is only 3 weeks old and its gone down to £24 already! thats almost half the retail price in just 3 weeks, i bought Mass effect day 1 for full price and have not actually got round to playing it yet so now i just feel ripped off big time (yes i am an idiot)

[/quote] Mass Effect 3 is not a standard thing though. Once people started finishing the game and the bad publicity surrounding it began, EA has actually been giving full refunds on the game. The game has garnered such a bad reputation retailers are probably taking a loss now just to try and move the extra stock they have, because recouping some of the cost is better than none. A partial loss is better than a total loss.

OP, if you feel you're being "ripped off" stop buying Games day one. Just wait a year or two instead.

"i bought Mass effect day 1 for full price and have not actually got round to playing it yet (yes i am an idiot)".

Case closed? I hate to say it but you bought it on release day and didn't bother playing it? This is nothing but the consumer's fault.

Is it a permanent price drop or just a sale? They do a price drop on occasion to increase sales, then will bump it back up again. (varies from store to store)

[quote user="LostKauz"]

OP, if you feel you're being "ripped off" stop buying Games day one. Just wait a year or two instead.

[/quote]

He wouldn't even need to wait a year or 2 tbh. A few weeks in most cases these days. I'm a brick and mortar buyer myself, but if I want to save money, I go to Zavvi.com to save. When the new Castlevania came out, they had a special where you could buy it new for 20 pounds a day after release. The sale was only for 1 day though.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!