Games looking blocky and/or pixelated on full 1080p HDTV

Just got a TV that was on sale, full 1080p HD. I first flipped the switch on my component Cable to HD, then went to the settings on my console and put it to 1080p. Next I loaded up Skyrim, and I'm rather disappointed with how it looks. Everything looks blocky, or pixelated, and "jaggies" are extremely apparent... I loaded up Modern Warfare 3 next to compare, and it looks even worse, especially for things in the distance. Is this my TV, or is it that you must buy HDMI cables for the full effect, or is this simply how the games look on a full HD screen? If it's probably the TV, though I hate to, I will probably return it, as I pretty much got it for gaming... Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 286 Applies to:

You will need HDMI cables for a better experience. Also, it may be the game itself having issues or your connection online.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I also use a HDTV with 1080p capability (an Insignia 24 inch LED TV). I have HDMI cables connected and use the "optimal settings" option on the Xbox. However, I too have noticed blocky, pixelated looks, especially when it comes to shadow and smoke effects, areas with black coloring, or around areas that are supposed to have a "glow". For example, the shadows and black area in Mass Effect 3 are blocky as are the red "glow" around the consoles on the Normandy. I have the same problem with shadowed areas in Dead Island as well.

Is this just the TV or is there some connection setting/game setting that can help. Thank you in advance!

Sorry this didn't help.

You may need your HDTV calibrated. New HDTVs come pre-calibrated but they are not perfect and will also need to be adjusted to the light levels in your room. You can got to a place like Best Buy. They offer HDTV calibration services but they are rather expensive (about $200 i believe).

IT:SF Grad From PTI

Sorry this didn't help.

Component cables do not support full 1080p resolutions. You will need to get an HDMI cable for the best resolutions. Also, you will need to get the HDTV calibrated by a professional. HDTVs come with pretty good contrast and color presets but to get the most for the TV you will need it professionaly calibrated.

IT:SF Grad From PTI

Sorry this didn't help.

I already have HDMI cables, but I have been using pre-set settings in regards to contrast and such. I will probably try to adjust it myself though, as I don't much feel like spending money just to have somebody switch some options around. Thank you for the input though! If anyone else has a similar TV or some suggestions on their settings, it would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry this didn't help.