GamerParents 7.0 (History in the making). Welcome...

Here we are a new GamerParents thread and a brand new forum. I was asked to start GamerParents 7.0, and as a sentimental 42 year old Gamer, Husband, and Father of 5, I can't look forward without looking back. So here is a rundown of GamerParents threads, starting where it all started and those GamerParents that took part in the passing of the torch. I thought Enfarine would never let go. Enjoy, and welcome to all past, present and future Parents and family. First ones always on MO...[B]

GamerDads 1:

MO MOSS, is the founder of the GamerDads (Fall 2006) thread, which evolved into the GamerParents (Sept. 2007) thread. Which later spawned a forum (Gamer Parents & Family Gaming 1/8/2008) for Dads, Moms, Sisters, Brother, Aunts, Uncles, and Families in general to voice their concerns, experiences or just get together. We were given a warm welcome by trixie360, who also interviewed our fearless leader.

[quote user="MO MOSS"] i hope we get a icon!!!! lol my idea would be a beer can icon !!![/quote]

GamerParents (aka GamerDads) 2.

cyprus church, formerly ethanjude

[quote user="cyprus church"] We've moved because of the size of the old thread.  For the regulars, and for new members (welcome all parents who are buying 360's for Halo and the upcoming holiday season) here is what we are about:

Gaming and parenting.

That's it.

No flaming.

No hate.

Just games and parenting.

We game together as much as possible, and also discuss games, tips, etc.  We've also discussed everything from how to handle a rebellious teen, to what boundaries should be set for kids and games, to "I can't play game x anymore, because my kids are killing me at it!"

Again, welcome to you all, and I look forward to gaming with you soon.[/quote]

GamerParents 3:

JD Buck started the 3rd thread.

[quote user="JD Buck"] After over 200 pages and 50,000 views, version 2.0 got the lock.

Welcome to GamerDads version 3.0.

All gamerdads and gamermoms are welcome. 

MO MOSS started it all over one year ago with the original GamerDads forum. 

Ethanjude continued the tradition with version 2.0 and I happened to be the first to notice the lock and post as quick as I could.

This thread is to remain free of haters, spammers and forum trolls.  It is a casual hangout for parents who love to game.  It often becomes delightfully off-topic and (almost) always no more than PG rated in content.  Welcome to all new who post and for the regulars to continue the thread until version 4.0 is needed.

Thanks to Unreal Butcher for reminding me to include these important links;

GamerDads Live

Ethanjude added this is the companion site to this thread.  All parents are welcome.  It's more of the same really.  Forums to discuss everything from games, to movies and television, to books, sports (American and European), to setting up tournaments, like the current Halo 3 2vs.2 tourney set to start 3/1 or discussing difficult achievements and how to finally get them, and oh yeah... parenting and gaming with the whole family![/quote]

GamerParents 4:

Nien Numb introduced us to GamerParents Episode IV:

[quote user="Nien Numb"]A long time ago, in a forum thread not very far, far away...

GAMERDADS

Episode IV

A NIEN HOPE

It was a time of strife on the Xbox forums, with no safe haven for Dads who game when MO MOSS decided in November 2006 to throw a shout out to the webs calling for all GAMERDADS to come and congregate.  A yet unheeded request for an icon followed.  He could not have anticipated what he started, the thread flourished and 200+ pages later his OT, original thread, was locked.

Enter ETHAN JUDE, wanna be jedi,  put it much more succinctly than I could ever hope to in version 2.0-

We've moved because of the size of the old thread.  For the regulars, and for new members (welcome all parents who are buying 360's for Halo and the upcoming holiday season) here is what we are about:

Gaming and parenting.

That's it.

No flaming.

No hate.

Just games and parenting.

We game together as much as possible, and also discuss games, tips, etc.  We've also discussed everything from how to handle a rebelious teen, to what boundaries should be set for kids and games, to "I can't play game x anymore, because my kids are killing me at it!"

Again, welcome to you all, and I look forward to gaming with you soon.

3.0 brought JD Buck to the pantheon of post originators.  Not as clumsy or random he was a more elegant OP for a more civilized age.  Midway through the thread he became a Mod, and became a shining pillar of the community.  (CUL raise?  Anyone?)

And for IV I "won" the honor of being this thread's TIMOTHY DALTON, to mix my film methaphors.  Well, I suppose it could be worse...I could've been like EJ and been a Lazenby. (note: I am aware his portrayal is considered great..I am a not a fan)

In short, (too late, eh---that was for you Xeno) this place is a great place to hang and meet people who will not flame you for being you.  Be respectful, and may the Force be with you.  And can we get an icon?  Please?[/quote]

GamerParents 5:

xenocidic our brother from the Great White North introduced us to a new level of g33k goodness.

[quote user="xenocidic"]

GamerParents 5.0 ~ One Thread to rule them all ~

It began with the forging of the Great Threads. Three were given to the Developers; immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Seven, to the Moderators, great miners and craftsmen of the forum halls. And nine, nine threads were gifted to the race of Posters, who above all else desire power. For within these threads was bound the strength and the will to govern over each forum.

But they were all of them deceived, for a new thread was made. In the land of Xbox, in the fires of the Red Rings, the Dark Lord MO MOSS forged in secret, a master thread, to control all others. And into this thread he poured all his wisdom, his insight and his will to dominate all forums. One thread to rule them all. One by one, the free peoples of Xbox Forums fell to the power of the Thread. But there were some who resisted.

A last alliance of Posters and Moderators marched against the armies of MOSS, and on the very slopes of Red Rings, they fought for the freedom of the GamerParents thread. Victory was near, but the power of the thread could not be undone. It was in this moment, when all hope had faded, that Ethanjude, son of the king, took up his father's sword. And MO MOSS, enemy of the free threads of Xbox forums, was defeated.

The Thread passed to Ethanjude, who had this one chance to destroy off-topic spam forever, but the hearts of men are easily corrupted. And the thread of power has a will of its own. It betrayed Ethanjude, to his death. And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand Posts, the thread passed out of all knowledge.

Until, when chance came, the thread ensnared another bearer. The thread came to the creature JD BUCK, who took it deep into the tunnels under the Gamerscore Mountains, and there it consumed him. The thread gave to JD BUCK unnaturally high completion percentage. For five hundred Posts it poisoned his mind; and in the gloom of JD BUCK's cave, it waited. Darkness crept back into the forests of the world. Rumor grew of a shadow in the East, whispers of a nameless achievement, and the Thread of Power perceived. Its time had now come. It abandoned JD BUCK. But then something happened that the Thread did not intend. It was picked up by the most unlikely creature imaginable. An iconless hobbit, Nien Numb, of the Forum. For the time will soon come when hobbits will shape the fortunes of all...

The veiling shadow that glowers in the East takes shape. MO MOSS will suffer no rival. From the summit of Xbox.com his eye watches ceaselessly. But he is not so mighty yet that he is above fear. Doubt ever gnaws at him. The rumor has reached him. The heir of Major Nelson still lives. He fears what he may become. And so he will strike hard and fast at the world of Posters.

War is coming. the GamerParents must defend themselves, and therein lies our first challenge, for the last thread is weak and ready to fall. The OP's mind is enslaved; it's an old device of MOSS's. But, for all their cunning, we have one advantage. The Thread remains hidden. And that we should seek to destroy it has not yet entered their darkest dreams. And so the weapon of the Enemy is moving towards an Icon in the hands of a hobbit Ambassador. Each day brings it closer to the fires of Red Rings. We must trust now in Xenocidic. Everything depends now upon speed and upon the secrecy of his quest. Do not regret your decision to leave him. Xenocidic must finish this task alone.

One Thread to rule them all,

One Thread to find them,

One Thread to bring them all

and in the greenness bind them.

---

GamerParents 5.0 - Game on! =) I'm humbled to take us boldly towards our 1000th page, our 30,000th post. And, contrary to popular expectation, I didn't mention my blog, http://xenocidic.com , at all in this post! oops.

I'd like to extend a warm welcome to all the new gamer parents that will be joining us this year, in this, the 5th incarnation of the Fellowthreadship of the GamerDads & GamerMoms. I hope you'll find as much support for your new parenthood quest as I did, and still do.[/quote]

GamerParents 6:

Enfarine brought us GamerParents 6.0, 6 ½, and 6.75. These will be the last to grace the old forums.

[quote user="Enfarine"] In 2006 it started
With the simplest of threads
By our founder MO MOSS
And here's what he said:

For Gamerdads I am looking
No matter your skill.
So let's play some games,
Hang out and just chill. 

Other dads, they took notice
Of MO's invitation
And soon they were posting
Without hesitation.

They spoke of gaming and children
And swapped advice about life.
One dad even asked
About gaming with his wife.

For my wife, Live is scary
Seeing as though she's a newb.
She doesn't want riff raff
Demanding pictures of her [mod edit: ].

So entered the GamerchiX
To offer sagely advice
But they decided to stick around
Because these dads, they're alright!

GamerDads became GamerParents
As the thread continued to expand.
Within a short time, it grew into
The greatest thread in the land.

Good times, they are many.
The trolls, they are few.
If you're looking for awesome gamers,
Then this thread is for you.

You'll always have friends here
No matter where you may go
And please keep in mind that
The first beer's always on MO. 

It's been a pleasure getting to know all of you over the past 3+ years.  We've shared many triumphs and supported each other through challenging times.  You're one of the greatest groups of people with whom I've ever had the privilege to associate, despite some of your questionable tastes in college football. 

Here's to many more years of the best group around! 

[/quote]

So there you have the history of the GamerParents thread, 6 threads and almost 5 years of Community goodness. Pull up a chair, and make yourself at home. Peace and Good Gaming All.[ip]

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 28 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Awesome job with the thread Butcher. It's nice to see a familiar thread all of the craziness of these new forums.

YAY its back....almost some normalcy again...

I just found it, everything is ok now. :)

Great intro Unreal!!! I think we all have found again in this start to the new forums. And I leave you all with what some people look like while reading these forums.

and just what is that supposed to mean snake lol....

Well written UB!  

I tried to post this picture like my signature, but for some reason it did not. Here is a link to see what it was.

I am watching you

I found it! Great job UB. Hello fellow gamer parents and other such and assorted good people.

Nice Job UB...how about that Episode IV...like fine wine

wow good work you put alot of work in to this.