Gamer Tag Stolen!

I'm curious to see if this is a big problem or a remote incident. I've had my gamer tag (Tornado) for over eight years when I signed up to beta test XBOX Live. Like most you with Original gamer tags, you’re probably proud of it and you wear it with distinction. I personally chose "Tornado" because of my years of tornado chasing in Texas. Like many of you, the XBOX LIVE community is a great place to be - heck most of my friends are on there, some of whom I have known for 7 or eight years and know me only as Tornado or 'Nado.

Just the other day I turned on my XBOX to find that my profile was "invalid", and was now replaced with "Nuberg OG". My identity, heck my name for the better part, was stolen by some criminal, probably trying to make a quick buck.  Now those of you who maybe knew [MOD EDIT], he/she now has my stolen gamer tag. Keep that in mind next time you see him and his new tag. I'm in the process of getting it back and finding the perpitrator.  For me, the theft of my tag is as serious as the theft of my social security number or anything else that uniquely says, "This is me".  I will file charges for whoever is behind this and they will be caught. Meanwhile, for all those who value your tag, go and change your email and your password, and anything else you can do to slow down these idiots.  And for all of you who participate in stealing tags, or hacking XBOX accounts, or even buying stolen tags, identity theft is a crime, and you will get caught. Every time you do it, you leave clues behind. It's just a matter of time.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

I like your new tag better

Wow thats sucks to hear I hope someone can help you out!

Holy *** man, its a video game name.Get over it! Identity theft .. I snorted soda out my nose on that one.

its the principal that counts

With a name like that, I'd be pretty pissed too.

You aren't allowed to name and shame on the forum. If you haven't already done so call support and get an unauthorised access case opened support.xbox.com/call-us.

Your gamertag was Tornado? Man, I would go Liam Neeson on the guy who stole it and hunt them down and get my gamertag back if I were in that situation.

[quote user="Legion64"]

Your gamertag was Tornado? Man, I would go Liam Neeson on the guy who stole it and hunt them down and get my gamertag back if I were in that situation.

[/quote]
"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my gamertag go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

crap that has to suck

My name has a very, very small demand.