Game ideas - got any put'em here!

So i was sat here thinking about games that have come out and realising that some of the ideas I had or have seem to have come about already by the big companies

I recently got an idea for a kinect game which would involve just yourself...

I would put the idea up but I don't wanna embarrass myself haha, so I was wondering if anyone else had any game ideas for any type of game or console that you can either think of now or have for a while!

thought this would be interesting !

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

I'd like to see another 2D RPG platformer on the modern console.  Castlevania is the only one I can think of.

They continued it with the DS which was awesome.  They also had HoD on 360 which was just a quick multiplayer blast through though.  Not as good as SotN, PoaR or OoE.  The newest 3D Castlevania on 360 was decent, but I'd rather play SotN or any of the DS' Castlevania games all day.

I hope they continue it with 3DS but It would be nice to see sometihng similar on 360.

I would love to see a really big, expansive, open world, western rpg.  There would be hundreds of quests, ones that require thinking and strategy, not the simplistic ones like most today.  Big bosses that you need to team up with friends to defeat (bosses that actually take up the screen and would massacre you normally).  More passive skills, that can make you money, make armour, build houses/villages.  It could hold up to about 24 people per world, along with enough npc's in the larger villages.  Lastly customization, so that your skills and look will completely set you apart from others.

Rpgs are my favorite genre so I would love to see something like this come out for the 360.

I got too menny of them. I even have the controll layout for the game to boot too. As well the featuer in the game will have. But as i sayed. I have too menny of them. That I do not know where to start.

Normal 0 false false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

My Ideal PvP Game

Introduction

So this is going to be a long spiel about what I wish would be a game. This was mostly inspired by the recent Harry Potter movie because it made me think about how cool an action game would be with just magic; no physical medium such as swords and spears, but just magic. Also it occurred to me that you can “balance” games if they use fictitious methods of combat more easily without players questioning the method. Fantasy settings in general are more malleable and are easier to work with when it comes to making a player’s experience equal to that of others.

What I’m aiming for is a game that uses a backwards “S-curve” to determine the strength of abilities and then some multipliers to further player customization and tactics. These points will hopefully be explained well later on.

Please do excuse any poor art; I am making these from Microsoft Paint with a small touch pad. Also I hope that this “copy + pastes” well from Microsoft Word, there’s no way I can write this in that damn forum box.

NOTE that the numbers used here are not final but are being used to aid the explanation of my design. I also noticed while writing this that this idea is geared more towards the PC. Oh well, the PC’s better anyway :P. I’m also not the biggest PvP fan so my idea may just flat outright suck.

The Power Curve

What I believe must be explained first, for the rest of this article to hold together well, is the power curve. What I’m going for is the backwards “S-curve” that changes depending on how the player sees fit.

Here’s a backwards “S-curve”:

Yeah, it’s not great but there’s a backwards “S” in there. What this graph is supposed to represent is the dissipation of power of a magical ability over some distance. But here’s where I want things to get interesting.

What if the player could control that S curve? How about for a steeper S curve there can be a high initial power? How about a more linear curve in trade for less power? Power vs. range is the conflict I want players to have in designing their character. Do take note that all abilities are technically ranged abilities. Though players may get in close proximity there are no melee attacks.

Here’s a graph with a player choosing very high initial power with the consequence of losing range.

Here’s a graph with a player choosing to linearize the power curve choosing a lesser initial power but having that initial power last over a longer range and also having a high minimum damage (poorly shown in this graph).

The very first graph would then represent something in between I guess.

Why this matters

These power curves are essentially some kind of multiplier for the abilities that the players use between 0 to 100%. So let’s talk about a player choosing a high initial power curve.

(Shown again for those who have already forgotten)

Let’s call the top of that curve 100% and then the bottom of the curve to be 10%. At that very close range, an ability will have full (100%) effect. At the furthest range the ability will only have 10% of the intended power. Now for the other curve…

Let’s call the top of the curve 60% and the bottom of the curve 50%. At close and somewhat medium range, the ability will have 60% of its power. At long range, the ability will have 50% of its power.

This is where I want that Power vs. Range conflict to happen. Does the player want to maximize the full effects of an ability and get close, or does that player want to keep a distance at the cost of power. Of course there will be skills to accompany the style the player wishes to play as.

The Types of Abilities

Now that we’ve discussed what the power curve is, let’s talk about the abilities it will affect. What I currently have in mind are five attribute domains: Power, Defense, Healing, Mobility, and Energy. These attributes can further be modified with what I’d like to call “Multipliers”, which will be discussed later, to strengthen and unlock more abilities for that particular domain. Let’s first go over these attributes first.

Power

Oh boy, this one should be pretty easy to figure out. The Power attribute deals directly with all of the offensive abilities. Damaging, some slowing (some will be in defense), snaring (forcibly holding an enemy in place) and other offensive buffs are here. So yeah, you attack with these abilities. Damage enemies, slow them so that you can keep them in range, snare them so that they’re forced to stay in range and buff an ally’s ability to deal more damage or extend an effect of it. Use these abilities accordingly with others as it would be very difficult taking on an enemy with just your own attacks. Using slows and snares can give opportunities to your allies for more attacks.

Defense

As you can probably already figure, the roles of these attributes are pretty easy to figure out. Damage prevention/reduction (shields/damage mitigation), slows, and forced unit displacement (forcibly moving an enemy) and other defensive buffs are here. These abilities prevent damage and therefore it needs a preventionist type of playing. Being able to predict which ally is prone to attack and when is key to fully utilize these skills. Predicting incorrectly however can lead to disastrous results. Distance with the power curve will also affect how well a player’s prevention acts succeed. Shield allies who are taking damage to prevent further damage, slow enemies to allow your allies to escape and push away enemies to create some needed distance between your team and the enemy.

Healing

Oh where would gaming be without this type of ability? Your classic set of support skills. Unlike Defense abilities however, Healing is a reactionary ability which has its own faults as well. Having to wait for an ally to be attacked can be tricky as the attack can happen swiftly across multiple targets and healing is further limited by the range of one player to another and the power curve. Heal allies back to full health and potentially resurrecting them can turn the tides of a battle. Also the Healing domain will possess some disables (disables enemies from using their own abilities) in order to buy time for some big heals and possibly prevent further damage.

Mobility

Now this is probably the most important domain out of all of the attributes. Mobility allows those who want to keep a distance from targets; it also allows those who need to get close do so. The player’s ability to use these skills will determine who wins and who loses. Mobility provides movement speed increases, blinks (short distance teleporting), and rolls/tumbles. (Note: the difference between a blink and a roll/tumble is that with a roll/tumble, enemies can see exactly where a player is going and also some things in the environment can obstruct it. Blinks however are not as predictable and also can bypass small obstacles.) Almost all action games have positioning as its most powerful tactic, this game also follows that trend.

Energy

Now most games with abilities that are used upon player command generally have the abilities use some kind of resource. We’ll just use the general term, energy. This attribute will affect the Energy regeneration for the most part. This attribute is a bit more passive than others but has much potential which will be covered with the Multipliers.

Multipliers

Here’s the part where players get to further customize their play style. This is essentially the “stat point” part of the game where players get to dictate which skills get to be more powerful than others. But here’s how I want it done.

I am calling these stat points “Multipliers” for a reason. They literally multiply the attribute they’re placed in. The current system I have in mind is as follows:

How much they modify

There will be a total of 5 multiplier points available to the player. For Power, Defense, Healing, and Mobility, each multiplier point added in will grant a 7% increase on the power curve, and a 5% reduction in energy cost. For Energy, each multiplier will grant addition energy regeneration, and a 8% reduction in recharge time.

For example: let’s say you put one multiplier into Power. Now let’s say you have an ability that deals 100 base damage and it costs 100 energy. Now that ability deals 107 damage and the costs 95 energy with the multiplier.

Also in conjunction with this, with each multiplier added an upper tier of skills will be unlocked. These upper class skills are more effective than the last or offer a more unique ability.

Stacking multipliers

As you’ve probably guessed, yes, you can stack multipliers into a category more than once. This means that you can put 3 multipliers into Power and 2 in Defense, or something like that. However there is a special deal when you stack all 5 multipliers into one category.

At this point if a player has put all of the multipliers into one category, that player is literally attempting to specialize only in that category and will be relying on other allies to fill in the other roles. As a result, there will be a 15% boost to the power curve for those abilities however it comes at the cost of a 10% decrease in the power curve for all other abilities aside Energy. This will result in a 50% boost in the power curve and a 25% energy cost reduction with 10% less power in the other attributes aside Energy. The decrease of effectiveness of the other categories shouldn’t matter too much however due to the fact that the player should almost be solely using the domain he/she is specializing in since those are all of the skills that have been unlocked.

But be careful with this, let’s say a player stacks all of the multipliers in Power. Yes the player is incredibly powerful now but that player is going to suffer from a 10% less effective mobility skill to move around quickly. This means that player will need another player to use a skill to boost him/her up. Another situation would be if a player stacks all of the multipliers into Mobility. Now that player can move around very fast, but has weaker attacking power and cannot support others as effectively. However just being able to get in and out of fights easily may be more than worth it.

Stacking multipliers on Energy

Now Energy is the funny category. It is literally the utility attribute where nothing can really go wrong with it. Upon stacking 5 multipliers into Energy, that player will be granted all tier 1 skills for the other categories. This means that along with the massively increased energy regeneration and 40% recharge time reduction, the player can use any of the tier 1 skills from the other categories making this player a “man of many hats”. But hold up there, the 10% reduction on the power curve still affects this specialization which should balance out the skill spamming from the reduced recharge times.

Play how you want

These multipliers along with the power curve allow players to customize the way they want to play. If players want to get in close quickly and hard they can choose a short ranged power curve with multipliers in Power and Mobility. A player wants to be a full support that’s right at the front; that player would choose a short ranged power curve. Perhaps a player wants to be the “man of many hats” with some range; choose a more linear power curve and either stack all multipliers into Energy or put one in each category.

Energy regeneration or reduction

A thing that’s brought up with my current system is whether if a player should go for a more powerful skill with a cost reduction or go for more energy regeneration and a recharge time reduction that affects all abilities. Well, that’s another choice the player can make. Energy cost reduction often leads to powerful bursts but with a long duration of inactivity to recharge the used energy where as energy regeneration can lead to the use of abilities more often but with short lapses where the player must quickly recharge.

Don’t fear ranged players

In a lot of games, ranged players often have a large advantage over those who rely on close proximity. Well, that’s when the power curve balances things out. Mobility skills are also affected by the curve. An example here: a blink skill’s base displacement is 10 units. A player using close ranged combat can move those 10 units (100%) whereas a long ranged player can only move 6 units (60%). This makes it where players can close the gap easily. However this is only the case if both players are using a basic Mobility skill with no multiplier. If a player starts using a higher tier mobility skill along with the boost to the curve, things start changing. But the ultimate factor lies in how the players choose to move their characters.

Abilities

So each domain will contain abilities for the players to use. Before any multipliers are put in, basic skills will be available to the player (about 15% of the total skills for the domain). Then at tier 1, many more skills will be available (total of 40% skills available). Afterwards the available amount of skills will go up in smaller increments or a flat 15%.

The player should have only 10 abilities available in-battle. This will have players think about how to build their character for combat.

I’ve pretty much explained what skills each attribute would have, so I’ll leave it to your imagination of what the skills should be.

Game play

·         Make this game have a third person camera.

·         Have instanced battles with teams of 8, 12, or 16 players on each side (16, 24, 36 players total).

·         Have multiple game types.

·         Make clothing/armor aesthetics only; no more stat skewing.

·         Let the player change play styles outside of battle.

·         Now I’m just starting to get lazy, start thinking of your own crap!

I also don't want to type anymore so I'm cutting this short.

The End. Cool story, right?

[quote user="gameshoes3003"]The End. Cool story, right?[/quote]

now are you sure there`s nothing else??

you forgot to add the count,thats whats missing.

The Count has been censored from my post.

oh no,i will miss him.

i wish they didn`t beep him,i would love to know what he does all day.

I would like to see a game combine the Rock Band / GH game play with something like GTA. So the main character is an aspiring musician but is also part of the drug scene. So there is shooting and playing music in the game. I have shared this before and people asked what controller the game would use. I have no answer to that lol but hopefully you can somehow have both normal controller and instruments plugged in and signed in. I am sure some game dev could solve that problem. Of course the early GH games allowed the use of a standard controller.