Game disk circles

Hello, today I was playing black ops when all of a sudden my little brother crawls over and knocks over the xbox. When he knocked it over a heard a wierd skipping sound. When i took out the disk it had a circle at about the midway point between the center and edge. When i put the game back in and tried to hop online it froze. He knocked it over again and the same thing happened. Any idea on what happened to my disk?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

It was your brother knocking over the xbox that caused the scratch, you're not supposed to move the console while there's a disc inside. You can try installing the game to your hard drive either using your own copy or a friend's and just use your copy for the anti piracy check. If that's not possible then you're pretty much stuck with buying a new copy. I'd also suggest putting your xbox in the horizontal position to prevent any more accidents.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I would recommend you barrow the disk from a friend and install that in the hard drive

Sorry this didn't help.

^ I tried doing that for MW2 and it didn't work.

Sorry this didn't help.

If that doesn't do the trick, then the disc will need to be replaced.

Sorry this didn't help.

This literally just happened to me. I finished the arcade campaign of Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe and decided to get off my couch to stretch. My Xbox was laying horizontally but was within my foot's reach because I don't have wireless and needed to plug the Ethernet cable in. Long story short, there was a weird loud noise and it stopped reading the disc. When I pulled it out, there was a thick ring around the edge. Upon research online, I've figured that it is a laser burn. Some say it can be fixed (buffing), while others disagree. I think it's pure luck and only costs a few quid (here in UK) or about $4 in USA. I'm still going to take my chance tomorrow because I'm not done with the game yet or I'd just chuck it in trash.

The funny thing is, I didn't even kick the Xbox hard. It was just a small nudge. I inserted my copy of Bioshock 2 in to see if the disc reader still worked and at first, I had a few issues getting the Xbox to read any discs but then it started reading it properly. I suspect that my Xbox will be dying out on me pretty soon because of it. Sucks that it's out of warranty and I'm already looking at buying a second hand one online just in case.

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, lets try and dispel a couple of rumours here ....Anemraz .... your disc was not burned by the laser.

If the laser was to go hot enough to "burn" your disc, not only would it melt your disc totally, but it would actually melt through the entire casing of the console itself and more than likely set fire to whatever surface you had the console placed on at the time.

What happens in these cases is : due to the disc spinning at such a high speed, when the consoles are moved in any way while the console is turned on and the disc is spinning, the read head of the disc drive actually touches the surface of the disc. Considering that it spins so quickly any touch will pretty much give you a scratch all the way around ... so... don't do that.

Possible solution are all affected by the depth of the scratch and the placing of it, so consider the following.

Possible Solutions:

1) Install the game to the HDD :  This puts all of the game data onto the HDD and the disc itelf then is only used to read licence information etc. when the game is first started. If your disc isn't too damaged to start with and the installation completes, this should work perfectly fine.

2) Borrow a copy of the game and install that to the HDD and use your own copy afterwards. Providing that the scratch on your copy isn't on the part of the disc that reads the licences, this should work fine.

3 ) Have the disc polished/buffed. : many game stores are offering this service now. What it does is to skim a few layers off the surface of the disc so that the scratch will either be eliminated entirely or reduced to a level that the console will be able to read it again. N.B. any store that offers this service should also state that this is not guaranteed to work

Many game distributors actually offer disc replacement policies also. SO if your disc gets damaged out of warranty, you could try and contact that company and see if they have a scheme to replace your disc at a reduced cost.

Sorry this didn't help.

like Fordius maximus said take it to a game store and have the disc fixed or i heard that you can contact microsoft and have it replaced at a fixed cost and they will ask for your disc and they will send out a new copy (i only heard this at gamestation so i do not know if this is true but give it a try

Sorry this didn't help.