Game boosting and achievement boosting.

I just wanted to open a discussion about boosting for leaderboards an for achievement points. To be honest what is the deal with people who have to do this? Do saying you earned game points you didn't make you a better gamer? I know someone who has 80000 gamer score he has achievements in all these games but you can tell he unlocked these achievement through means not known to me. When an achievement is unlocked online you can see a date when you unlocked it when your on xbox.com. He has the summer and spring achievement in Texas heat for full house poker with no date. Now the only way you can play texas heat is online. So if he has no date on this he had to get it through means not ethical.   

I am not bringing this up to call this person a cheat. The reason I am bringing this up is to talk about what is ethical in online gaming. All of us who are in this community have played games where we know for a fact that the person has either modded the game or boosted their score up on the leaderboards. This to me is sad that people have to do this. The only person who is being cheated when you boost is yourself. You are losing the great stories that many games have because you don't want to spend the hours of game play unlocking the achievements the way they were meant to be done. Also when you boost on the leaderboards you are only hurting yourself because you are losing the hours of game play that not only you share in the community, but you also lose skills that you could learn by just simply playing the game. So this is to anyone who has the feeling they have to do this; you are just hurting yourself.  Feel free to comment as I really want to open this topic up for a true discussion. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 25 Applies to:

Usually (*read: nearly always) when someone gains an online achievement offline, they're cheating.

sometimes achievements do not have a date on them,this doesn`t mean they are modding.

if every one doesn`t have a date or they all have the same date then they probably are.

it is possible to be signed in and not be connected to xbox live,this is when the achievements with no date on usually happen,they just say aquired on them

[quote user="THEOWENKILLER"]

sometimes achievements do not have a date on them,this doesn`t mean they are modding.

if every one doesn`t have a date or they all have the same date then they probably are.

it is possible to be signed in and not be connected to xbox live,this is when the achievements with no date on usually happen,they just say aquired on them

[/quote]

He was talking about achievements that can't be earned offline, those have to have dates on them. Therefor, they are (almost certainly) modded if they have no datestamp.

But if I recall correctly, there's already two topics on boosting being cheating. Is this topic different?

Either way, you said something about missing out on the story if you boost achievements. I don't see how, since you can't boost story related achievements.

I was browsing my achievements last night and realised that games that Ive traded in a couple years ago have no date for them. I didnt boost for the achievements but I chalked it up as not having XBL at the time

OP you are using terminology loosely. If someone has an online achievement earnt offline the term boosting is incorrect.

I would suggest the following:

Hack/modded/gamesaved - unlocked achievements or leaderboard score without playing the game

Boosted - got mates to stand still while you shoot them or beat them in races - can work for achievements and leaderboards

The discussion about whether boosting as I describe it is ok or not has been done to death in other threads. I think the general feeling in the community is leaderboard boosting and hacking is never ok. Achievement boosting gets a mixed response.

Not sure anyone can defend profile hacking where thousands of achievements are unlocked without the game having been played.

Another thread about the same....

To be honest I don't want to discuss cheating or boosting as much as the ethical implications on it. Not many people take the time to think about that. One good question I read on here was, "Is using a fight stick that has turbo online cheating?" To me anything that gives a player an unfair advantage over others in online is cheating. Modded controllers, boosting leaderboard points, using a mod to change the game values and yes turbo button controllers. Also What I said about losing story lines comes because the person I talked about not only boosted his online achievement scores but is single player games as well. In a month time he went from 25000 odd points to 85000 odd points. Some of the games the game play would be hours upon to do; while others no one can be found online doing it. As a result the ethical implications are that I for one do not want to be in a game with him. The other is that he missed out on some great gaming stories such as fall out 3. Which is one of the games he did not have completed in this time. Now to be honest I know the program he used to boost his achievement scores. I have seen the disk in wal-mart for less than 20 dollars but it is something I myself would never use.

If we talk ethics for a while instead of just calling people out maybe the people doing these things will learn that what they are doing is wrong. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. For instance; if you happen to walk in to a gas station and see the register unattended but it is open, should you take the money? The answer is no, but most people today would. It is the same with cheating on a game most people would. Besides hurting themselves it can do such damage as *** up the servers. Some of the cheats I have seen can even *** up others game play, and for what because you do not like them?  The ethics are simple these games are online to be a test of skill, but if you have to be unscrupulous to win then you are not going to get any better.

These are just my views read them if you wish. Respond if you wish, but please think about this as an ethical discussion not one to call out gamers.  Although there should be a place to call out the cheaters on what they are doing.

Dw.

[quote user="Rs 01 Dwej"]

Also What I said about losing story lines comes because the person I talked about not only boosted his online achievement scores but is single player games as well. In a month time he went from 25000 odd points to 85000 odd points.

[/quote]

That's not boosting, that's hacking. SatNiteEduardo made a nice post to explain the difference.

Rs 01 Dwej surely people know what they are doing is wrong but they still do it. Its like some people will steal small stuff if they think they will get away with it or think if they get caught they will just get a warning.

[quote user="DigiLuigi"]

[quote user="Rs 01 Dwej"]

Also What I said about losing story lines comes because the person I talked about not only boosted his online achievement scores but is single player games as well. In a month time he went from 25000 odd points to 85000 odd points.

[/quote]

That's not boosting, that's hacking. SatNiteEduardo made a nice post to explain the difference.

[/quote]

Or that person have no life at all.  There is alot of easy 1000 point games out there. But we don't know whole story. If is a no lifer. Then that person need to get a job. And if he or she hack it. Then they should be reset of 0. And sayed they cheated there gamerscoer.  I have alot achievement with no date stamps. But most of them where earned before I joined LIVE.