Game and Gamestation

Just a post regarding the loss of Game and Gamestation. Never really shop at Game (but can see why its good for the grannies buying little johnny the next Zelda) but I will miss my local Gamestation (Torquay). Heard that they were closing as part of the administration deal. Gutted. Staff there were always good. Told you of deals elsewhere that were on and generally looked after all their customers. I know its cheaper to get things online but I dont mind paying a couple of quid extra for the shopping experience. Chat about whats coming up and whats cool and whats not. Its like when my comic shop closed its doors all over again. Maybe I am old school! 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

There are reports on sky news of it being took over by the royal bank of scotland,which i don`t understand as weren`t they bailed out themselves when the banks went under and they are currently being funded by the tax payer.

They're still one of the Game group's creditors though. RBS have to get some kind of return on the money they invested/loaned to Game.

Theres a rumour of the Royal Bank of Scotland being bought out by the Arabs. So that could well mean that Game 'might' survive.

Scotland bank.... Arabs... Game.. I am most definitely not confused at all lol

Do wealthy Arabs like shopping in game?

[quote user="Piztup"]

Theres a rumour of the Royal Bank of Scotland being bought out by the Arabs. So that could well mean that Game 'might' survive.

[/quote]That would mean the government selling the bank though, since they are the majority shareholders at the moment.

With all the flak they are taking at the moment selling a UK bank to a foreign power would be riskly for the Con-Dems. 

Only selling a 15% stake last I checked.

Sad to actualy see the death of physical media in gaming. The absence of shops selling games on discs in boxes will encourage publishers to release digital versions of games instead. This will also kill the pre-owned market.

On a brighter note I suspect that the digitsation of the delivery of games will reduce the cost of buying games, so I guess there would be a silver lining.

There would be a pretty big gap in the UK high street if stores like Game and Gamestation totally disappeared.  From what I've read, there is still a lot of money to be made from high street video game stores in the UK. It's just that Game Group over expanded in 2007 - 2008. Seems to me that purchasing Gamestation, was, in retrospect, a bit of a mistake.  They also had too many stores.  My local shopping centre has/had two Game Stores and a Gamestation, seems like overkill now.

[quote user="DrawnGunslinger"]On a brighter note I suspect that the digitsation of the delivery of games will reduce the cost of buying games, so I guess there would be a silver lining.[/quote]

You would think that,but it hasn`t happened with the games on demand on the marketplace.