Fully Customizable Controls For Consoles

Hey guys - just a quick question, maybe someone on here can clear this up for me...

My friend and I have had several conversations about how we wished we could fully map all of the buttons on our controllers in really any video game. Not too many games out there currently allow this although some do (Skyrim, off the top of my head). 

Then I read this bit of info

(http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dice-is-looking-into-allowing-console-players-to-customize-battlefield-4-controls/1100-6415810/

about Battlefield 4 and it got me to wondering. What first-party certification issues are there? Why would MS, Sony, Nintendo care about whether we could customize our controls?

Any input would be great.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

I'm pretty sure button mapping is up to the developers.  Not sure why most refuse to add it to their games, but I always appreciate when they take the time to make it a feature.  It may be because the game just plays better with a certain configuration, programming issues, who knows.

Halo 4 and a number of other games I can't think of right now should of had this feature.

If you read the post it says that there are "first-party certification issues". What the hell could that mean?

Seems to me that every PC game I play allows me to fully customize my controls. It's been that way for years.

Exactly. PC games always allow it, so why wouldn't console games?

Because consoles are all about restricting the user. People don't like to hear it but it's the obvious truth.

I get that consoles have a history of that, I truly do. But most of the time, even if I don't agree with it, I get the thought process behind it. With this, I'm at a complete loss. No thought process for better or worse comes to mind.

Yeah I really don't get why either. It's like how one of the Fight Night games had some new stupid control setup and EA released a more traditional control setup, as a paid DLC.

That has got to be one of the single most ridiculous examples of DLC I have ever heard of. Just when I thought that I couldn't possibly have a lower opinion of EA...