Foreign Games

Upon comparing the games of somebody on my friends list, I noticed quite a few games I have never heard of before. Now obviously I was curious so I did a little research and learned that these games were exclusive to Japan. Which leads me to ask the question, why do we have region locks? I see these games that are clouded in mystery and I find it kind of dissapointing that we can't even play them. Now I understand if the developer for what ever reason doesn't wish to sell it internationally, but at least allow the discs to have work all around  you know? I don't find it fair that some people get rewarded for simply living in a different region so why why not have Xbox's that function universally? That is unless I'm missing some part of a bigger picture..can someone explain?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="Drums Mcaw"]

Upon comparing the games of somebody on my friends list, I noticed quite a few games I have never heard of before. Now obviously I was curious so I did a little research and learned that these games were exclusive to Japan. Which leads me to ask the question, why do we have region locks? I see these games that are clouded in mystery and I find it kind of dissapointing that we can't even play them. Now I understand if the developer for what ever reason doesn't wish to sell it internationally, but at least allow the discs to have work all around  you know? I don't find it fair that some people get rewarded for simply living in a different region so why why not have Xbox's that function universally? That is unless I'm missing some part of a bigger picture..can someone explain?

[/quote]Not all games are region locked...

some are locked for technical reasons some for copyright reasons and i'm sure someone will post a more detailed explanation for you, i found out yesterday that most PS games are not region locked, don't know why that is...

There are many games that will play on your console that you will not find in your local stores. The games are there and your console will play them but finding out which ones and how to get them is up to you.

Some people have multiple consoles from different regions, allowing them to play games from different regions.

-Jim

[quote user="KLRSKIR"]

Some people have multiple consoles from different regions, allowing them to play games from different regions.

[/quote]

That's not actually completely correct, although some do take this route a large percentage of 360 games are in fact region free and can be played on any region.

Lists are freely available online OP.

Well obviously region free games would not need the appropriate regions console. ;)

-Jim

Drums Mcaw, when any Media is Locked to a specific Region, most of the time it is simply due to Licensing and/ or other Copyright Laws or Governing Laws for that Region.

Try out the game Akai Katana. Sure, not all import players are fans of shoot em ups, but most of the games you will see being imported are. They are great if you like punishment. I enjoy it/slash mode, way more than Deathsmiles, and I have to just be sad that more people have no idea how fun these games can be. Akai Katana is available at that popular game store for $40. :) cheers.

[quote user="LostKauz"]

Drums Mcaw, when any Media is Locked to a specific Region, most of the time it is simply due to Licensing and/ or other Copyright Laws or Governing Laws for that Region.

[/quote]

except almost every ps3 game is region free.

many 360 games are region free.

you can go to abgx.net and see  the 360 game database.

[quote user="US Revenge"]

[quote user="LostKauz"]

[/quote]

except almost every ps3 game is region free.

many 360 games are region free.

you can go to abgx.net and see  the 360 game database.

[/quote]Not true. Many Games and Content are not Region Free just the same as on PSN. It depends on the Content and License. It's not magically part of just Video Games nor Manufactures, it goes for additional Media Content as well.

In retrospect, there are also a lot of US only games like NCAA,  Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion XL, etc. Not forgetting you have access to Netflix, Xbox rewards, etc

-

So I guess you guys are much better than we are.