Forced Downloads

Once upon a time in the early days of XBL, I could start an arcade or DLC download, and then boot up a game and do some single player to pass the time.

Since a few major updates back, no matter what I do, it wont let me do this. I can sit and watch my download, or wander off, or anything else away from the xbox....but the moment I launch a game, the downloads will be suspended. Even games without MP content.

This is really bugging me, so I was wondering whether perhaps the settings for this have been relocated and Im just missing it.

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to alter these settings, or does XBL really feel the 'online experience' is so important that Im not allowed to play single player while I download anymore? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

When you play game which doesnt have MP.It just shows download stopped but it will continue download after few minutes. So yeah as long as no MP it will start download.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Think that's just the way it is,does the same for me as well

Sorry this didn't help.

It also depends on the game too. You might be playing an offline/single player game...but there are a lot of titles that are constantly connected to servers for leader boards and that will normally suspend your download.

Sorry this didn't help.

oddly enough, if you want to download something, you cant do so whilst playing a online game, only ways to do this and still play a game are to play a single player game OR set the network settings in a online game so it would be a local/split-screen party

Sorry this didn't help.

I am pretty sure a person was never able to download while playing any content. the only thing allowed is backround downloading and this only occurs when you start a download then turn your xbox off. doing this will result in your xbox being off but technically still on until the download is done which will then allow your xbox to turn off.

and also for best download quality it is best to keep your xbox on the dashboard and not using any content so your download does not corrupt or become incomplete.

Sorry this didn't help.

Essentially. All dowloads are paused when you begin any online activity whether it's playing a multiplayer game or playing a single player game that uses active leaderboards. Also if you make a download through a game as opposed to the marketplace (Usually compulsory if you purchase a season pass for a game) you MUST watch and wait for the download to be complete without going going back to the previous screen. Another point is that sometimes it will tell you that a download has been paused but this can sometimes be worth checking in the case of single player games by simply opening the dashboard and selecting 'Active Downloads'.

Finally a good idea if you frequently download items is to make sure that your 'Background download' function is on. This will mean that your xbox will continue your download even after you have switched off the console. To do this, go to 'Xbox Home' and then scroll right to 'Settings', then 'System settings', 'Console settings', 'Startup and shutdown' and then enable 'background downloads'.

Hope this helps!

Sorry this didn't help.

Any game that loads online wont let you download but if you load up a game that doesn't have mp or coop campaign (like GTA 4) it should still download. Also Internet Explorer lets you download while playing it.

Sorry this didn't help.

If a game has any online integration from the game developer, can include news feeds or persistence like Need For Speed friends, it will class as being "online". However, when it stops it is usually only briefly while it gets the data it is after and then it will usually continue the download in the background but won't inform you of this happening. It will only tell you when it is paused.

Sorry this didn't help.