for those non diehard rpgers and COD fans, should i buy this game ?

im not a die hard hard rpg fan at all. as rpg as i get is mass effect, which i still havnt finished the third one. any ways i bought oblivion when it came out and got over it pretty fast, believe i was 15 or so aqt the time. any ways i saw one of my buddies play maybe the first hour or more of the game and it looked pretty good. i mean, slay a dragon and stealing its soul for your own crying out burst self at level 4 kind of got my panties in bunch. any ways im debating because the purchase because im thinking of buying but not sure if i'll get over it. i dont have a lot of free time, im a pretty busy guy. the only time i have for video games is the morning and afternoon on the weekdays. im not trying to get the opinions from the die hard fans that preordered the game year before it came out but from those of you that were/are in the same pposition as me. im pretty big cod fan, which stole my attention away from ME3 before completeing the game. so the little time i have to play will be in rivalry between the two. for those non die hard rpgers and cod fans that have bought this game, what do you think of it? positive and negative. thanks for any opinions and inputs.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm a pretty big fan of Skyrim. I have COD and the two games are so entirely different it's not fair to compare. Oblivion and Skyrim take a lot of time to play. You should try it out but keep an open mind, there's no run & gun in Skyrim. From building your character to doing the quests it takes planning and tactics. It's a story line that allows your choices to direct the play. JMHO about the game is that you could stand to have way more fun with it but, it will take time. The COD series games are so much different and in Skyrim, your on your own more or less. NPC's are the bad guys and in game NPC companions are not always very helpful. Rent it and see!

BUY IT NOW!

-

BUT give it time. You have to 'learn' how to play it e.g. being a COD, BF3 and GOW3 freak I tried to kill everything straight away and got so annoyed that I couldn't. But, you learn fast and now for me it is an incredible experience. I never thought I would say this but it is probably the best game I have EVER played and I'm not a big RPG fan at all! I actually bought it on release but sold it as I didn't give it the time it deserved.

-

You will have little quests to do. If you haven't got a lot of time you could do a small part of a quest, leave it, then come back and carry on with another part of it. Problem is, once you get into it, you won't be able to leave it alone!

-

I'm currently only level 20. I think I've completed the main story line but there's sooooo much more to do that my mates say that I haven't even scratched the surface yet!

It's NOTHING like ME3 BTW.....

If you don't have the attention span for it I wouldn't bother.

Do you like to get lost in a story? Where you just can't put the controller down even to go to the bathroom. Do you like to get at least 60 hours out of a game you spend $60 on? Or the fact that when you finish one quest there is still hundreds of other things you can still do.

If you want a game that will give you TONS of re-play value LOOK no further.. it is well worth it..

[quote user="fatty mageee"]

im pretty big cod fan, which stole my attention away from ME3 before completeing the game.

[/quote]I envy you.  Seriously.   I don't know where you are in the game, but don't EVER finish ME3; it's not worth the pain.  Anyway, Skyrim

I'm probably the exact opposite of the person you're asking, but I'm not so enamored with this game that I'd tell you to absolutely get it.  In fact, if you don't have a lot of time on your hands, I'd say pass.  Skyrim is much bigger than Mass Effect and requires a pretty hefty time investment to really get into it.  If you feel like devoting most of your gaming time to Skyrim for a week or two, then you could probably get into it and then play it on and off after that.  But unless you put in a solid amount of hours, you won't be able to get over the hump of the early game, and that's when RPGs are at their most slow and boring.  And if you can't get over that hump or don't have the time to do so, I'd say it's not worth it.  In short, if you feel like putting in the investment, I'd say go for it.  If not, you're better off saving your money for Black Ops II.  Anyway, positives and negatives:

Positives:

• The main quest is alright; nothing too exceptional, but better than Oblivion
  • The side quests are overall pretty interesting, and the characters are usually pretty well-realized.  There are definitely some good voice actors as well
  • The combat is fun and works well.  You definitely have a lot of options for how to kill people, and I never found it to be too easy or too hard.  Leveling up helps you overcome the early challenges, but you'll still have bigger ones to take on
  • The game overall is very combat-centric, which you'll probably like
  • The world is beautiful and expansive
  • The crafting systems all work quite well
  • For someone who doesn't play RPGs that often, the depth is probably at the right level.  There aren't too many skills, there aren't any real base stats, and combat is more player-based than character-based (that is, it's less about dice rolls).  It's more like an action game with RPG elements than an action RPG, so that might be nice for you
  • It can be very immersive.  You can loose yourself in the world and just end up wandering, even carving out a life of sorts if you want

Negatives

• It can be a little overwhelming for someone who doesn't play RPGs a lot.  There are a lot of quests and a lot of locations, so it can be intimidating
  • I've never been a fan of Bethesda's writing, and that applies to Skyrim.  It can sometimes be dull or melodramatic, and while it's better in Skyrim than in some other Bethesda games (and better than some other games in general), it doesn't compete with Obsidian or Bioware.  Some of the voice actors are also kind of eh
  • I find the RPGs elements to be quite streamlined, but again, I'm coming from a different perspective, and I feel like you'd like the streamlining if you don't frequent the genre
  • I don't like that the perk trees are linear; they're more expansive than the ones in ME3, but that's not saying much, and I don't get why you have to take perks in a certain order
  • The consequences to some of your actions can feel unfulfilling.  That is, you won't feel like you've had that much of an impact on the world when all is said and done.  You will in some ways, but there are other games that give your choices and consequences much greater weight
  • The companion AI can be very annoying, especially for non-human companions who you can't issue commands to.  They'll consistently get in your way, some can die quite easily, and you'll wish there was an easier way of issuing them certain commands than going into dialogue each time.  And you can't send your dog to your house if you just want it as a pet.  Your horse is also way too aggressive
  • Most of your companions are more bland than companions really should be, and you can't really interact with them like you can in other games
  • There's no real diplomatic playthrough.  If you like shooters, I'm sure you won't care, but it bothers me that I almost always have to kill someone (I like playing more diplomatically in RPGs when I can)
  • The interface is decent.  It works well overall, but I wish you could zoom in more on the map, or organize items better in your inventory
  • You'll end up pausing combat a lot to use the favorites menu, which really breaks up the action and makes you wish for basic hotkeys
  • There are glitches.  Not a big problem and nothing worth dwelling upon, just make sure you save often and back up your saves

I know there are more negatives than positives, but some of those negatives won't bother you, and some of them can be outweighed by the positives

I love all types of games.And i realy did enjoy Skyrim.Its worth the buy.There just so much you can do in this game.It never gets old.

WOW. thanks guys, especially maulyoda !  i wasnt expecting any kind of detailed response. after reading whats here i just might get it. i REALLY appreciate the time everyone took to help me out and voice their opinions on my behalf. i just might be roasting dragon ribs with my flamming hands for dinner in a week or two. you'r all welcomed to the feast !  thanks again everyone.

When you ask Maul for something, you ALWAYS get a detailed response :P

And I reckon you'd enjoy it dude... it's worth the shot anyway, because it's a good game : ) I'm a shooter player, primarily, but RPGs are a perfectly solid second and an excellent way to take a break when shooters get a bit full-on. Snotty Chunks back up there was similar, not too sure about it whether he liked it or not and he is right that it takes time to open up to if you're coming from another genre preference. Take it slow, learn how to enjoy it and you'll probably really like it.

Give it a shot : )

(Yes I know I'm a bit late but more confirmation never hurts :P).